Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Ok, so unfortunately I need to start another topic. I didn't want to intrude too much on the below thread, and my issue is quite a bit different so wanted to start my own.

My issue is purely between the transition from clip to clip. If I play a clip in clip mode, it plays absolutely no problem on any quality. As soon as I try to play in movie mode, even on low quality, the video freezes and the program locks up for a few seconds (while the audio continues). This is in a brand new project with zero effects or editing aside from adding multiple clips in.

Previously, I've worked on a few more complicated projects for the past month or so with zero issues with high quality playback.. and now all of a sudden it won't play even on low quality. My projects consist of many many short 1-5 second clips put together, so needless to say it's made it impossible to do my work currently unless I'm doing clip by clip. If I bring up my performance graphs during a freeze up.. my computer isn't even doing anything, it's not like it's overloading or anything.

Does it have something to do with temp files building up? Or something? As I said I've had zero issues in the past.

I'm running i7, 8 Gb RAM, x64 win7, HD Radeon 5450 just updated. Quicktime up to date, windows up to date, etc.
I can't give much help but I can say I'm running into a similar and frustrating issue. Same file type as you.. I've actually been using these for a few complex videos now with zero issue on high preview quality. Now all of a sudden I just started a project with nothing even done to it yet.. and it can't even play on lowest preview quality. Switching to any of my other projects and zero issues.. but this project alone will not work. Don't know if we're having same issue or different, but..
Hehe, its actually for a very uninteresting reason. But yes, the blur tool makes it much quicker and nicer looking. Thanks!

I suppose my method can be used if anyone wants to blur using a custom image or texture!
Hehe... I suppose your way is much easier

I didn't even think to check there. But yeah that was exactly what I wanted lol. My only gripe there is that when using the keyframes it *appears* I need to keep clicking the mask button to move my blur instead of just having a draggable box in my preview screen. A little slower on videos where I have a lot of movement. But.. even if, that definitely looks a bit more professional than what I was doing.
Ok I guess I jumped the gun as I figured it out right afterwards. For any future reference, here was my method, which turned out to be very simple.

Pick a photo you want to use as your blur/censor (find a texture online). I just used a black ripple texture image.
Create new pip with that image. I used a default mask just to round the edges. Feathered the mask a bit to round it more.
Set it to just barely transparent.
Unchecked aspect ratio and resized the Pip to be over the area I needed censored.
Pulled the pip image into a new track under my video and aligned it with the times I wanted to blur a part of my video.
Then used keyframes with the motion keyframe to ensure my blurred image was constantly over where I needed to blur.

Once I figured it out it was quite simple. I will need to do this often, so I saved the pip as (roughly) the size I will usually need it. So I will just need to insert it and fix the position with keyframes each time in the future.
I'm wondering if there's an easy way to do this. For example on TV when they blur out nudity, etc. I don't need that exact effect, but I need to blur out things to make them unclear. I was thinking a mask would do the trick.. but I have never really used them before and ran into 2 issues. 1 is I guess I would need to make a custom mask as all the defaults are full screen masks, and 2. It appears I can only use a mask to darken/lighten a clip, not blur it (although I could technically make that work).

Any ideas?
Quote: HI,
There is a way to skew but I am not sure if possible on zoomed image. When in the Modify room of the clip you have to uncheck keep aspect ratio. Then in the preview window you have White handles for adjust width and height, but in the same spots there is small blue rectangles that can be used to 'deform' the image these may accomplish what you are after. ON the second question I am deaf so audio I can't help ya.
Jim

Amazing!! That was exactly what I needed to do! I had already unchecked aspect ratio but would've never noticed those blue handles, only the white. That worked perfectly thanks a ton for the help.
So as I'm getting a lot more comfortable with the software, there's a few things I'm missing that I'm wondering if they are possible.

The main thing right now is the ability to skew an image (or pip). In a video I'm working on, I have a picture of a car at an angle, with a big logo on the door. I'm zooming in on the logo, then pulling it out and fading out the rest of the car. Problem is, since the picture is shot on an angle, the logo is very skewed. I have no problem rotating and magnifying the image in PiP, but I haven't found a way to skew the image. Is this not possible? I would do it in photoshop but that would not help as it needs to gradually grow back to normal in the video.

Next thing is an auto volume drop on my music or background track while doing voice over. Is this possible? My only solution now is to 1. manually drop the volume every time i record a VO (highly impractical) 2. Have the music volume permanently low enough to hear voice on top. Neither is ideal.. just curious if there is a way to do this more easily?
(I usually use keyframes to raise and drop volumes so I can be sure I'm doing multiple tracks at the same points.. is this the correct way? Or is there an easier?)

Thanks!
Quote: ngyintung2001,
welcome to the forum.
When the preview is slow/choppy, have you added FX or fixes, or music? What is the nature of the clips you are having issues with?
Under the preview window, tucked between the camera and audio icons, is box-in-a-box icon. Click on that to reveal a dropdown menu. In that menu you can reduce the quality of the preview, thereby lessening the strain on your computer. This will have no affect on the production of your videos, only the preview.

Many times recently I've been struggling to figure out why all of a sudden my playback is so poor.. only to realize I forgot I had set my video to Full HD playback. Just drop it down and you're good. It seems to me like even a very powerful computer struggles with realtime Full Hd.
I was going to purchase this card and give it a shot:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150655

Yes I'm not sure why that graphics card came with the computer..

I'll give it a shot
I just want to note, if it makes a difference, I'm running the exact same version on my home desktop and do not experience nearly as much issues with the video playing.
So, first post here. Apologies in advance if my terminology is off. This is a program I've used sparingly in the past but now will begin using it daily as a full time job. I use this program at home on a PC I built and it runs mostly flawlessly.

I just had the company order me a computer that would be able to run PD12, and at first it seemed good but as my projects are getting more complex I'm noticing a 'rendering' bar that I've never seen, as well as lots of video stopping. I continually check the cpu and RAM usage and they always seem to be good..

The computer is an hp elite 8100
i7 2.93Ghz processor
4Gb RAM (4 more on the way)
Win7 64 bit
ATI Radeon X1300 GPU

I was actually not aware the computer would be coming with a standalone GPU, so I was pleasantly surprised to see this.. but now I'm leaning towards thinking this is the cause of my issues. I don't know much about GPU's and their role, but I can't imagine the i7 cpu is struggling and the little info on the x1300 leads me to believe it is old and outdated?

Any advice?
Go to: