Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

PowerDirector created these .srt files - not me.
That's why I assume that powerdirector made the mistakes

It could be. See topic here https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/78615.page
Producing the packed project in PD17 or 365 on my desktop results in imprinted subtitles, while creating a new project or adding subtitles to an existing project works normally...

Dear Optodata,
Are you sure that an old pds-file (from version 17) always burn-in (imprinted) in the video? And that the setting (soft subtitles/imprinted) on the Subtitles panel is not working for old pds-files. I thought that new versions of software are always backward compatible. I have a lot of old pds-files (from 2017 till now). If the only solution is to create new pds with new software that takes a lot of work and is for me a no-go in upgrading. Are you sure about your statement?
Thanks for verifying this.
Any chance that you could upload a simple packed project, say 1 image and 5 subtitles, and the produce settings you use. This would give members a "like for like" example to test without introducing other variables??
PowerDirector Moderator

Hello,

I have a packed project, made available for downloading.

Link: download the files in this map

Thanks

Roland
I want to add (in the subtitle room) a subtitle with two (or more) lines, but the space between the lines is too big, I want to decrease it. Is there a way I can do that?

Perhaps the bug as in https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/97092.page
Hello,

I am working with PowerDirector 16 (16,0,3424,0) on a Windows 10 (version 10,0,19042). I produce with this soft MKV-files with embedded subtitles, they are not imprinted on the images. The advantage is that you can switch on or off these subtitles in the mediaplayer.
Recently Microsoft made it possible to view MKV-files on their "standard" mediaplayer, the "Films and TV"-app, so no more need for installing an extra external player like VLC or MPC to view MKV-files with their embedded subtitles.

But this gives me problems, see next screenshot, for example where I have a multi-line subtitle.

You see the question mark (?) indicating an unknown character and an extra empty line between each subtitle line.

The settings in PD16 is as follows:

On the preview: no ?-mark and extra empty line

That special character (?-mark) I see this also on the other subtitles, like on the first subtitle. I see no this ?-mark with other players, but the empty lines are there; so subtitles are not at the bottom.

My question is now this:
Using the "Films and TV"-app as media player:
Is this bug also on more recent versions of PowerDirector ? (17, 18, 19, 20)?
Is this bug also on other systems (Win 10, Win 11...)?

Any testing is much appreciated.

Roland
Quote ...
I went back and forth between the two groups and cyberlink finally just refunded my money and I moved on to Davinci, which is the smoothest rendering software I have ever used.- So well written. The free software for non professional use is amazing and light years ahead of Cyberlink. It just doesn't have all the cool easy transitions and titling etc that cyberlink has.

If you do all your video edits and color corrections in Davinci, then import to cyberlink to finish off with cool effects thats about the only effective workaround I see. ....

Davinci, pfff... They have even problems in reading mts-files: see here https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=75853

Success?
You are converting videos: from 4K to HD or even 720p. The bad experience about quality, I have also. Not only with PowerDirector but also with other video editors (like VideoStudio). I use a specific tool to convert: Handbrake or Megui; then you can fine-tune your settings and the encoder x264 is very good.

Since I have the subscription version, I can't roll back to an earlier version. It might be helpful to see if anyone who's able to run v2314 could test a few clips and see if PD17 can randomly/indivdually access more frames than my spreadsheet shows. Same goes for PD15 and 16 to get a better sense of when this whole mess really started...

I have PD16 and I have tested with your files "iCPU" and "GTX411". The findings from your sheet and your description of the problem: I can confirm this also for PD16 (no access of several frames in preview).

BUT. When I produce with PD16 I have access to all my frames of my produced file (only CPU-rendering - no hardware decoding, no svrt, no hardware acceleration.) This means a degradation of PD17 vs PD16.

Using another editor VideoStudioX10, when I load your files "iCPU" and "GTX411" I have access to all frames.
Quote ... I have produced the transparent PNG files in both AVI and MP4 formats in PowerDirector as well, but the background always turns black when I do it. HELP!!!

Apply Chroma key for the black and the black becomes transparent.

Thank you for this advice. I will visit this out web adress.

However, I still have a problem with my original 2 questions. Do I have to embed the subtitles or can I export .srt separately? And NB why does PD 17 not accept my downloaded YT .srt file?

While I was waiting for an answer I started experimenting on PD 17 with subtitles for a new project. I normally do my YT captions on YT's excellent transcription facility. And I do like their auto timing provided. It certainly eases my work and shortens the time it takes to do the transcriptions.

I noticed that PD 17 do not provide auto suggested timings. A pity.

It therefore seems logical to rather do my subtitles on the YT facility than on PD 17? But that means I have to stay online to do this. For my long YT projects I would have preferred to be able to do it on PD 17 with auto suggested timings and then export the .srt file and upload to YT.

I am doing the subtitles always in PD; exporting them in .srt-files an finally uploading to YT. BUT there is a bug in the format of time-indication in the srt-file: see discussion here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/78615.page

Embed subtitles in mkv and then uploading them to YT is not working. Also avoid formatting of sub-titles.

Sorry if I do not understand right.After adding files to the timeline.It can remove them in the media room without problems, the timeline is still perfect after reopening the project.
But it has already happened that the reopening of the project has restored the media room.

Even of I remove the image files from the Media room, there are still thumbnails visible on the timeline and the PDS-file is big. Thumbnails on the timeline is useless: only 1 frame for each image.

.......40 milliseconds, no added zero needed.

hh:mm:ss:ff > video timecode
hh:mm:ss,mms > srt timecode

Jeff

I do not agree: 40 milliseconds needs a leading zero thus 040 and not 40

Why this is a bug?

PowerDirector of Cyberlink output time format of srt (subtitles) in a format which is not conform because not using zero-padded digits.

3 arguments:

1.The standard.
Wikipedia says : "The SubRip file format, as reported on the Matroska multimedia container format website, is "perhaps the most basic of all subtitle formats."[9] SubRip (SubRip Text) files are named with the extension .srt, and contain formatted lines of plain text in groups separated by a blank line. Subtitles are numbered sequentially, starting at 1. The timecode format used is hours:minutes:seconds,milliseconds with time units fixed to two zero-padded digits and fractions fixed to three zero-padded digits (00:00:00,000). The fractional separator used is the comma, since the program was written in France."
Because of WebVTT is derived from the srt-format see also the standard here: https://www.w3.org/TR/webvtt1/#file-structure point "A WebVTT timestamp consists of the.... Three ASCII digits, representing the thousandths of a second seconds-frac as a base ten integer."

2. Use on the internet
Nowhere on the internet I saw an example where for the milliseconds only 1 or 2 digits are used. See for example here: https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/srt-file
The only exception is here in this discussion.

3. Interpretation
Cyberlink is not alone on the world, the srt-file is used in other software. The ultimate success depends on how a bad formatted string (1 or 2 digits) is interpreted. For example: 03:18,80 (originally it was 03:18 + 4 frames at 50fps ==> thus 080 milliseconds)

YouTube. YouTube add a zero ; so the time becomes: 03:18,800. This creates sometimes an overlapping with a next subtitle. When there is an overlap then YT joins the 2 subtitles in 1 long subtitle, on 2 lines. Not good.

Dailymotion. Dailymotion reads the time indication also as 03:18,800, but checks for overlapping. When this is the case, the srt-file is refused. Not good.
Hi,

Example
Rate: 50fps
When I have a time indication with a very small number of frames after sec-number (1,2,3 or 4), PD "forget" to place a ZERO after the comma in the srt-file.
For example. If I see in the subtitle-room 05:00:02, when exporting this becomes 00:05:00,40 and not 00:05:00,040 (4 frames takes 4/50 = 0,040 seconds). This causes sometimes overlapping next subtitle and therefore Dailymotion refuges the srt-files.

Are other users aware of this bug? Nothing found in this forum
Thanks if someone could also check.
Hello,

In Title Designer I cannot set the text spacing (parameter T) to small values like 1 or 2, it jumps from 0 to 5. So the values 2, 3, 4 are not more possible. Yet I think it was possible in the past because I have a custum template with the value 2, but when I try to change T the value changes to 0 or 5.

My question is now: is this behaviour the same on other systems now?

Text spacing
Quote and finally here is (I hope) the mts that has the issue

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zqnIi_wu3EdrimAfPcPO-KSqdv7hTKlM/view?usp=sharing

Alan.

This clip is interlaced video, it is not 50P but 50I, 25 frames and interlaced. PowerDirector16 cannot handle properly interlaced footage, see here:
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/76821.page#314359

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20/18838.page#292879

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/64309.page#293631

Therefore I use not PowerDirector when I have interlaced footage.
Quote No, it's not a beta update.
You install it, either if your PD16 says, that there is an update available, but maybe the connection to the update server is broken or automatic update notofication is deactivated, or by downloading the downloadinstaller directly from the link in the first message. Just use your language, goto the update download page of Cyberlink and download the appropiate patch downloader. It is an executable file, double click it after download and follow the instructions.

Hatti

I have to download the file, automatic notification did not work. I don't know why.
Thanks Hatti
Quote Is this not a Beta-update?
How do you install it?
I am still on the 2816-version. I get no notification when I "check for updates or upgrades" within the program. Is this normal?

Nobody?
Or should I post this elsewhere?
Is this not a Beta-update?
How do you install it?
I am still on the 2816-version. I get no notification when I "check for updates or upgrades" within the program. Is this normal?
Hello

I have here a "big" PowerDirector project file of 22032 KB. On the timeline is an image sequence (each frame a png-file). It produces a animation file of 25" (seconds). Because there are 1250 images in the sequence, the loading of it is slow and often PD crashed (PD not responding).
I think one of the reasons is because of the thumbnails. PD needs to load 1250 thumbnails. In this case, thumbnails are totally useless for me.
Is it possible to load the project without thumbnails?
It is possible to make a Range Selection on the timeline with the 2 orange triangles near the cursor line. When there is a Range Selection on the time line, the following buttons appear: Copy, Cut, Remove, Render Preview, Paste, Produce Range, Lock Range just above the time line.
See link.

I have tested the "Cut" and "Remove" buttons, and for me the function of these 2 buttons is the same: they cut away the clips between the 2 lines.

Is this normal? Why PowerDirector has 2 buttons for the same function?

Any help much appreciated.
Go to: