Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
An update.
The thermal paste didn't work either, at least not in the first couple of days. However, I tried again today, just for fun, and now it worked. No changes, no shortened project file...it just worked full lenght, with menues and everything - it also worked rather quickly.

So while the problem isn't solved entirely, it seems that it is a overheating problem. The weeks with problems have occured during a somewhat warmer period wetatherwise, with temperatures outside hitting +30C and above, leaving the room where the computer stands quite hot. The successful burns the week before the problem started happended when the temp outside was 10 degree celcius lower. During the attempt today the day had been even colder, maybe around 15-20C outside. It's maybe a bit farfetched but so far it's the only thing that have changed between the attempts. Hot air around the computer might have caused a cooling problem making the processor go belly up!

What do you think?
Sure. No problem. The version is the one that Steam is providing. Build 4207 would be an internesting option, but it seems that I can't update to that version, possibly since it's a Steam downloaded license.

Add as a general update. I've now run a memery test with came back showing no problem.
I've also cleaned the computer again and combined it with a reinstallation of the heat sink and applied new thermal paste. I will try again and see if this made any difference.
When I click the blue bell, I get the answer that everything is up to date - no new updates available (se picture).
I am in contact with the official supprot already, but so far they hav me jumping through the ordinary heldesk routine (drivers, restarts, Dxdiag and all those thing that you do first before you contact the support). So far your help have proven much more constructive and useful in eliminating possible sources for the fault.
The update won't work (error message attached). It might be of importance that I've bought the program on Steam. Steam doesn't detect any updates or upgrads pending.
Dxdiag attatched.
Ok... haven't tried that, but...I have burned two images of this project already, but first after splitting it up from 8,7 GB to two parts around 4,2 GB each (first half and second half)? It works! If I had corrupt files in the beginning, then that part shouldn't work, or am I wrong?

I've tried making versions where I remove the end bit by bit scaling it down from 8,7 to 8,0 to 6,5 before splitting it in two equal parts. Neither of the "bit-by-bit" version worked.

I'm starting to consider that the processor might be overheated after all since the problem also seems to be related to the size of the file (even if last weeks project was of equal size, around 8 GB)
Short update.
Tried with no menu.
Crashed instantly far before 20%

I also might add, that I've burned images from this project, but then the project was split in two parts. Same menu as I have had trouble with in those two projects.

File size down to around 4,4 GB. Only one chapter menu with 6 motion thumbnails.
Thank you for your suggestions. It gave me some new ideas to try, but sadly, the problem is still there.

I had tried several different menu templates before posting, most of which I've used before in previous projects without any problem.
This time I change to the one that worked fine last week, and I tried the preview function in which the menu worked perfectly.

I tried a new burn process.
The pop-up-burning-process-box shows up.,
It starts counting the elapsed time, but sets no remaining time.
Percentage is counting up to 20%.
Then the pop-up shifts to "not responding" (which it has done from time to time even before reaching 20%)
The timer stops
The screen flickers between showing the windows taskbar and not showing it
After a few minutes, the timer starts moving again (after jumping from the frozen time to a new time, so something has been ticking in the background). It counts another 15-30 seconds, then the error message shows again.

I also might add, that the menu, even the new one and all other ones I've tried still acts funny.
In the beginning I changed the top menu default "My Video" text to the text I wanted.
Usually it propagates to the chapter pages headline too, but this time it only changed the first level.
I had to add information seperately at level 2.
Level 3-5 still showed "My Video".
I couldn't access these levels to change them for some reason.
Even if I changed the menu type, the same situation remained.
So I tried erasing all chapters and leaving only 1 chapter with only 1 chapter screen. Saved the project under a new file name.
Still no success when trying to burn.
I saved the project, closed the program, restarted the computer, started the program again, cleared the cached files, closed program, started program and reloaded the saved project with only one chapter.
Then I added chapters again and replaced the menu to the one intended.
This is where it get strange - the program remembers the original setting and leaves level 3-5 as "My Video" and level 2 automaticly formates itself to the format I added the first time.
This shouldn't be happening - right?
Hi. Anyone who can help me figuring this one out?
I've since a couple of days back have had my PowerDirector 14 crashing when trying to burn an image to disk.
I've made a project file which I try to burn as an H.264 Blu-ray image file, which I save to my SSD-disc before burning it to a real Blu-Ray disc. I've also tried making MPEG2 images of the same project file with the same result. At 20% of the work progress, an error code shows up; "Burning unsuccessful. Error Code: eE0140016 (E0140016)". After a minute the program then crashes and turns itself off.
I've made several attempts and the only result I have is unfinished file images left on my SSD. All images with the exact same size of 12032 kB.
I've restarted the program and the computer. I've emptied cache files in the program and in the computer.
I've shortened the project file as low as about 7800 GB of estimated size. Normally I can do files around 15-18 GB before the program shuts down due to, what I assume is a file size issue vs CPU performance, but then at around 80% of the estimated time - not already at 20%. Even the shortened projects crashes at 20% and leaves an unfinished image file of 12032 kB.
I've also made a trial project with a much lower size (only 900 MB) and that worked fine (besides taking a tremendous amount of time for such a little project).
I've been running the program since 2016, and only have only had problems when the files have become too big. I burned image files last week without problems.
I've also tried saving the image on different places (new folders, different HDD and so on). I've also tried as an old forum thread suggested, to save to folder - same result. 20% and crash.

An odd thing I've noticed is that the menu alternatives seem to be faulty somehow. I can't shift picture from the start menu preview to the chapter menu preview. I can shift menu templates, but I can't change anything in the menu, like changing the title "My video" to something else. Only top menu and first chapter page can be changed. This menu problem is new and happened for the first time when this burning problem then started. However, the short file mentioned also has a menu and it worked.

Cleaned the computer a few months ago, so I wouln't think overheating due to dust is the problem.

System running:
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19044) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/24/10 14:10:09 Ver: 08.00.15 (type: BIOS)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 12280MB RAM
Page File: 5619MB used, 8515MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DirectX Database Version: 1.0.8
DxDiag Version: 10.00.19041.1741 64bit Unicode

Any ideas?
Sort of solved the last problem. Found the reason anyway...

It seems my Blu-ray player refuses burned h.264 MPEG4 discs for some codec reason. Burned MPEG2 works fine. Sadly, when starting to use MPEG2 again, the initial problem came back when I started the authoring process in PD14. First, I had to split the movie in parts since the project was above 25GB in MPEG2 (was only 17GB i H.264 MPEG4). Even doing that and making one part of the project 15GB of size in MPEG2, my computer didn't manage to process the project file. Initial estimate of needed time was about 3h. It rapidly increased and after 6h processing, the estimated time left was up towards 16h with more than 50% left to process. I aborted the project at this time and divided the project into smaller parts. 8-9 GB ran succsessfuly, (in total including burning the disc), for 2-3h.

Even if the problem with the Bluray player was codec related, I still think there is a memory issue. An upgraded computer will hopefully solve that for some years ahead.

Thanks for all support Pepsiman!
Well, project update:

Amazingly, I managed to complete the test project even if the last part was a slow and painful process. Every clip moved to the timeline, every cut, every "fill the gap" movement, and every adjustment took forever between input command until it was done. 5-10 sec sometimes. PD14 crashed and shut down 2 times as well. After starting the program again, I could continue editing some more (with the slow work speed the program/computer performed in).

There must be a memory issue here as Pepsiman pointed out. It feels like this project was running on the edge of what was possible in the end.

Burn process also worked with a file ending up at 15,8 GB (H.264 MPEG-4 AVS). The last 10-5% of the burn took a while but far from previous experiences. Progress timer started jumping 10 sec jumps instead of counting sec by sec as in the beginning, and the jumps grew bigger and bigger, but burning an ISO to SSD was completed. All in all about 3h instead of 13h and crash as before.

However, the Bluray disc doesn't work properly when running it from my Bluray player. This is a first! I have a reminder note of which setting that work with the the Bluray player (which is a Panasonic), so I used the same as before. When running from disc through the Bluray player, the intro menu works with sound and all, but as soon as I press "play movie", TV screen goes black and amplifier shifts setting to 7ch Stereo. Disc runs fine in the PC Bluray-player. ISO-file runs fine on TV when running from HDD through a Media Center (but the media center ditches the menu and goes for the movie directly). When I run the disc with VLC in the PC, and checks which codecs' it is using, it acts funny. Normally from older projects I get Stream 0-3 presented. This new one loops over and over again and for every time add 2 new streams - one video and one sound. I shut it down when it passed stream 15...

This puzzles me. The only thing that is different in the test project from previous projects is that this time I've used Panasonics own program for importing the media files from the Cam. File formats imported from the camera are .m2ts with .cont, .pmpd and .tmb. Previously, I've downloaded with windows import program and then I only got a .MTS file. Comparing codec info from an old project and this new one, there are no differences. Exactly the same.

Anyone who can tell me what this is?
Use of shadow files are turned off. Box in preference settings is not ticked. When I started the project I also denied to activate shadow files in the dialogue box that appeared.

the yellow bar ONLY showed up after the PC started to slow down to a crawl (when passing 15 MB in temp files) Otherwise there are no bars above the timeline when I add clips
Maybe I was unclear in my post but shadow files ARE turned off and have been during the whole test project I'm doing right now.

Still the same problem as described. After the second restart of the program and the project file, I've reached a temp library of 16.8 MB but there was a significant decrease in work speed when I passed 15.5 MB. I still have some clips to add so I'll see how it goes.

Still very suspicious about the bottleneck that happens when I pass 15 MB in temp files. Where is this bottleneck? PD14 limitation? Something in the PC that runs out of resources?

I'll try the codec pack as well. I'll be back with an update!
Long time - no reply from me. Sorry for that. I've done some more testing.

Tried shutting Shadow files OFF and deleted all temp files before starting a new project.

PD14 ran a bit more smoothly than before. At least I got that feeling initially, but at about 15 MB of temp files PD14 started to slow down. Each clip added to the timeline started rendering itself in the timeline (yellow progress bar on to of the clip) and at 15,5 MB - it slowed down to a total stop. PD14 non-responsive.

Re-started PD14, deleted temp files, started the project again (instantly filled up the temp catalouge again to about 13 MB). Program is running smoothly again, but my guess is that it will stop again at around 15-16 MB.

I have a feeling that this affects the burn process as well. A too large temp file is created somewhere and then the burn process crashes.

Is it possible to adjust the allowed temp file size somehow?
I'm not sure about the actuality of the error reports in dxdiag. They seem outdated and more as a log than the current situation. Some errors have shown up long after the problem with PD14 started.

Timeline is that I first had this problem in the beginning of 2016.
Since end of 2016, I've not done large files thus avoiding the problem.
Then I've waited or the prices on CPU should drop. They haven't so now I'm looking to upgrade.

Dxdiag reports that firefox causes a problem, but it is for an old version that I no longer use. Same thing with Comodo. Newer versions in use. This seems to be old problems. Also, when I ran a new dxdiag today, PDR.exe showed up, even if I haven't used it more than starting it to check some settings. Some watchdog faults had also disappeared.

When I say that PD crashes I should clarify that the "crash" doesn't crash the computer - only PD. PD freezes and progress bar stops at 80% for several hours until an error message shows up basicly saying that PD couldn't complete the process. Program still responding, but the burn process is a fail.

Until now I've believed that an upgrade would solve my freezing problem, but now I'm not so sure. Would I risk spend $2500 and still be sitting with the same problem? Bottleneck being somewhere else.

I'm curious about the temp files...Seems too much a coincident that the program crashes (this time stops responding - not the same fault as when burning) when temp directory reaches 15-20GB of temp files, same as when I burn things of that size. When I burn files of that size, are the program using this temp directory? Can this directory be blocked in size somehow?

/
I've tried both with and without HA - same result. Usually working without HA after recommendations on this forum.
I think I'm using Smart fit.

In what way would Comodo interfere with PD? Comodo vs MS had a MAJOR bug last year when their program suddenly wasn't compatible with Win 10 after a MS update to some part of MS system, causing black screen of death. This I managed to fix. The time line gets confusing here too. The last time PD14 crashed, might have been autumn 2016. (This forum then concluded that I had a too slow computer). Since then I've automatically divided my projects into smaller ones in hope that the CPU prices will drop (nope - didn't happen). The Comodo bug showed up summer 2017. Is this dxdiag showing the exact current status or does it also include historic events?

If I sum up what you think, then it doesn't matter which CPU I buy right now since it is Comodo that causes PD to freeze at 80%?

/Tingeltangel
Hi PepsiMan!

File attached!

No, I can't burn to folder when the projecyt is closing in to a size of a BluRay storage capacity. Same thing happens. Usually, it crashes at 80% after 13-14h processing the task.Usually I can't burn anything above 16 GB without a crash. 6-9GB seems to be working but I haven't explored the exact size between "possible" and "impossible".

Smaller projects - yes, no problem to burn to folder and/or disc.

What about "Temporary file" size? Usually, I have to manually delete these files even if I have them set to delete themselves every 2 days. The program sometimes crashes while I'm working and complains about temporary files being "full". This happens around 15000MB of temporary files, if I remember correctly. I usually do some preventive cleaning of the temporary files which keps the program running, but since this happens around 15GB...A coincident?

/Tingeltangel
Hi,

Just wanted to check with all of you if I'm buying the right stuff for a better performance from my PC (Win 10 Pro 64-bit) when using PD14. Currently, I'm running an Intel Core i7-950 on an Asus PT6 Deluxe V2 motherboard with 12GB RAM and using a Samsung SSD 850 EVO (500GB) as main disc and a Nvidia GeForce GTX970 graphic board (4GB). Results when rendering large amounts of video with lots of small clips (>1000 clips), transitions, effects, added music and such is that usually the program crashes at 80-90% of rendering (in a project aiming towards 20-25GB size for a Bluray file). Usually it works if I cut the movie into smaller pieces (6-7GB) usually works, dividing my movie into 3 pieces, which I'd like to avoid.

Looking at benchmark tests, I can see that my CPU is old and slow. So, I'm planning a new one, partly using parts that I have. I'm thinking to buy this:

Intel Core i9-7900X
Asus TUF X299 Mark I
32 GB RAM (2x16GB)

I'm going to re-use my SSD and my graphic card.

Will this make it possible to render a project as described above, full size to a BluRay without stoping a 80-90%?
Is it an overkill or are there a bottleneck somewhere else?

Since my computer also is used for gaming (games still runs fine on my i7 so far), it needs to be included in the design. Future upgrads to PD15, 16, 17...should also be in the plan. I don't intend to re-build the PC the next 5-7 years at least besids possible adding more RAM.

I'm also looking at Asus ROG Strix X299-E Gaming which allows higher speed RAM. Should I even bother?

Any thoughts? Will this work as I wish?

/Tingeltangel
Checking the stats on my current processor sliped my mind. I focused on checking an eventual future one. Yup, my CPU is too slow.

I'm not using HA, but thanks for the tip. It's a tempting name on that one.

And yup - jealous...It's always so "fun" to leave the computer to work for 13h only to find out that it stoped working at 80% after about 11h...on my 7 years old computer. It's time for a new one!

Thanks PepsiMan
8GB...then my current 12 sho9uld do the work. But the program still crashes when I try to render a, what I think is, a bigger project (2-2,5h Bluray project burning to image on my SSD. Rendering time usually around 13h). So where is the bottleneck? Does PD prioritize using the 4 GB on my GPU and never utilize the 12 GB RAM? For some reason it keeps on crashing.
Go to: