Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote Hi All,

After having to replace my Hard Drive I now need to re-install my PD16 editor.

I had upgraded originally from an original full version of PD11 to PD14 and then to PD16 .

There don’t appear to be any instructions on how to deal with this in the FAQ’s on the site.

The only reference I have found to this situation is in a reply in the Forums to a question from a member (batisteli) that was answered by Carl312 (Senior Contributer).

The question on the Forum was under the heading “Upgrade From 11 Pc Crashed”
Among the answers was the following one that did throw some light on the subject:

“What you can do, is purchase a Full version of PowerDirector or Director Suite, Full versions install without previous versions. Upgrades always require the previous version to be on the computer.”

So I need to know, do I have to first install the original PD11 and then PD14 upgrade and then PD16 upgrade, or can I install PD11 and then run the PD16 upgrade right after this.

I couldn’t find any instructions on how to deal with this in the FAQ’s on the site.

The suggestion of purchasing a new full version seems to me not to be in keeping with the policy of Cyberlink to treat it's loyal customers favourably by giving them incentives to continue buying upgrades at bargain prices, so there should be some easy way of re-installing upgrades if this has to be done.

Thanks All

The PD16 and/or Director Suite 6 upgrade version when used by the provided download links from Cyberlink work as a full installation. No need to install previous versions. This was my experience anyway. Any other way would have been blatantly annoying and would have prompted me to get a full refund for being hassled by a nonsense installation method.
Quote There is no need for SVRT. You can always use Hardware Acceleration in the production tab.
Plus SVRT doesn't work if you add any effects to the original, it works only with plain cut and paste. Anyting that changes the original will make SVRT impossible.

The need for SVRT is for quickly cutting away footage that isn't needed to be discarded. It is very much needed to preserve the quality of those remaining cut clips, that won't be modified true, but to be to be stored for production later or for use as is. That is exactly what it's for in this case and is very much needed.
Quote Thanks. So it appears H.265 isn't supported yet? Is that on the to-do list?

Bump

This is something that is not working for me either and am highly interested in. SVRT is not working with 4k 60fps clips. Also, there are no native 4k 60p HEVC production profiles. Are either of these going to be addressed in a PD16 patch?
I'm with Steven, Eric and Neil on this issue. There is a software glitch somewhere between either PD14 (v2303) or Nvidia causing an abrupt random crash that needs to be resolved.

Quote: "Bust"??? Not really, as none of us here have the same issue as you do. Nobody has yet replicated your issue - strange that isn't it.

I guess you're still trying to render those avi files you initially captured, not sure as you haven't mentioned it. Data transfer processing of bloated files can be problematic and can cause programs to hang.
RE:
Video Bit rate : 584 Mbps
Audio Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
2minutes 2 seconds = File size : 8.35 GiB
These are really OTT screen capture rates.

As I said before, best of luck with whatever you're trying to achieve, here's the CyberLink Support link.
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html
Bye
Dafydd

PD14 v2303 is problematic. FRAPS AVI is irrelevant at this point, 2303 has random crashes with any files loaded. This forum is peppered with the same conclusion as I have determined with the software who have the same issue of PD crashin.

I still have some more Frap related tests to do that may be beneficial to others so please leave this thread open.

Thanks for your time none the less,

T.M.
Quote: Yep, I'm blaming you the inexperienced end user for creating your issue.
As for CyberLink fixing issues that they can replicate - that's their call.
Best of luck, I have editing to do on a system that doesn't crash, that doesn't get overloaded with bloated files.
Dafydd

Thanks for verifying the prediction. Again, it's PD14 software*, not system that is crashing. Everything else runs like a charm here.

P.S. 11000 bit does the same exact thing. So your theory of over bloat is busted.
Quote: The application not handling the files: it is the files that are the problem, the selections being made to create them in the first place. You have to carry out your task within the confines of the capability of the software that is operating on a home computer.

OK, I'll stop banging on*... what do I know?

Dafydd

The software allows for the option to be made in the settings. My hardware is competent enough to do and does do the job. My available options to choose the best quality possible from within alloted fields in the software using HEVC are features I purchased. Even at 38800 or 38000 bitrate in HEVC, whether it be MP4, M2TS or MKV it's my choice and it should work every time not just a couple of times before the application decides to crash on its own.

IT CAN DO THAT JOB, IT WILL DO THAT JOB and, IT DOES DO THAT JOB, except PD14 will crash randomly sitting there doing nothing while not even processing anything. PD14 will crash randomly after a couple of rendered productions after being patched to 2302. I don't know why you can't understand that there is an issue with Powerdirector.

I really can't make it any clearer than that. The question is is Cyberlink going to fix it or not? Are they even acknowledging a problem or are they blaming it on the end user like you are.
2 x 1TB SSDs will be very soon. Space is not even an issue at this point, it's about the application handling the situation.
Quote: You should do your rendering to H.264 instead of the HEVC H.265 format. H.264 is a lot more common, More players support H.264 AVC than H.265 HEVC.

In Powerdirector 14 Produce module H.264 is H.264 AVC. The dropdown gives choice of M2TS, MP4 and MKV, at several resolutions.

I'm trying to retain as much quality as possible for the final render to burn to bluray. Then, after I have that first master rendered at the highest bitrate, I can delete the source files that are way too big to keep and are just useless cuts. This way can I have the best master render for my library. If and when I'm going to post on online I WILL render/convert it again (264) to degrade the quality and to compact the file size.

Make sense?
Everything seemed stabled for that setup. However, that Nvidia driver 358.91 is totally unusable for me and my games, it totally tanks the FPS to where it's not even playable. This driver is NOT an option for me.

Discovered HEVC M2TS files rendered at maximum settings will plackback except when you try to skew forward or in reverse with a player. It hangs for a very long time. M2TS it the only format that does this, every time. HW on or off doesn't matter - hw off took way longer to process!

Rendering in HEVC MKV produced an oddball. It rendered a two part clip on the timeline, but it only rendered the first clip of the two correctly. When it got to the second clip it was VERY poor quality like a potato rendered it. I rendered it exactly the same way again a couple of times more and it worked fine.

Stable, no crashes and those tests were 1080p 60 FPS HEVC 38800

---------------

Stage two:

Installed PD14 patch 2303a

Installed Nvidia 361.43 minus EXPERIENCE!

Since the stock Nvidia is not an option I went back to a driver I know plays my games well on my 980ti.

Same tests as before. I'm able to work for a while and render some tests. I can't predict it, but it will randomly crash. I used to have a debugger installed on the the old Win10 install so I could see errors popup, but now I don't so PD14 just quits instantly with no messages when it crashes. Luckily, event viewer shows this actual error message:

Faulting application name: PDR.exe, version: 14.0.2302.0, time stamp: 0x5636e474
Faulting module name: d3d9.dll, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d381
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000124d0
Faulting process id: 0x1c50
Faulting application start time: 0x01d160450b5a9b66
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14\PDR.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\d3d9.dll
Report Id: c6f7a9ca-caca-427d-b3da-e67c0c0c1a43
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
--------
Faulting application name: PDR.exe, version: 14.0.2302.0, time stamp: 0x5636e474
Faulting module name: d3d9.dll, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d381
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000124d0
Faulting process id: 0x704
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1604472679e69
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14\PDR.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\d3d9.dll
Report Id: 65de15e6-7beb-4cbf-9a5c-de25c807ced8
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Those are two separate crashes. I also find it odd that Directx9 file is being utilized in today's modern systems and, even worse, failing in the application. Only one positive note, since I still haven't installed any additional codecs, Fraps has continued to work on the updates until the random crashes occur.

This issue needs to be addressed and resolved. I simply can not use OLD drivers as those particular drivers do NOT work for me elsewhere where I rely on it the most.
Dafydd, hi, the other files are much bigger than that tiny 8gb file. That was just a sample for the export

I will be doing more extensive testings now that I've gotten to a point where it will function. I do appreciate your time and may need your assistance again when I find the culprit causing the problem.

"Camera uses a heck of lot less bitrate." I know. The thing is, I only want to process the clips once and not multiple times degrading the quality. I'm looking for the highest fidelity I can get out of these productions. I am noob at video editing to be honest and am still learning about it, but I know when something looks great and when it doesn't!
OK, I do have some greats news. I'm rather surprised and apologetic at the same time. It seems like the fresh re-install of Windows 10 64bit which supplied the stock Nvidia driver, using stock PD14, the install of Fraps with no other codecs installed now appears to work in the preview and will now produce a HEVC MP4 file from an original high bitrate Fraps AVI source.

Futher testing will need to be done still at this stage because I've only just begun to examine the functionality of it, but it's a great sign.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fresh install of Windows 10 64 bit with only updates KB3124263 and KB3133431 installed

Nvidia driver 358.91

Powerdirector 14 v2019

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry to have made this an issue, but happy at the same time because I know it will work, at least at a stock level. The next phase is to find out which update or codec was used that caused the failure of Powerdirector.

Stay tuned!
Fraps AVI export from Mediainfo. Is there anything else in Mediainfo besides export that you need?

PART J

FULL Media Properties.
Download and install one of the free programs. Use either to
extract data and provide it to members as a text file attachment. Select
"Post Reply", then the "Attachment" button and Place the local
addressed file/Browse for the file on your computer.

1. MediaInfo (easy to use) free program. http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
Watch out for any unwanted add ons and avoid them. Mediainfo will
allow you to display information in text form simply by drag and
dropping the media (video/audio) file into the user interface.
2. G Spot (an alternative) free program http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/index.htm
Not a program I use but does give the same type of information as MediaInfo.

P.S. Thanks for checking this out.
Dxdiag attached. Remember, this is fresh win10 64bit install with few apps installed and no additional 3rd party codecs have been installed so far.
I'm on a fresh install of Windows 10 for about a couple of days now for the sake of trying to make PC14 work right, the rest of everything else was fine before. As it sits right now. I have stock codecs that are supplied with Windows 10 and stock Nvidia drivers that came with the OS. Stock Director 4 Suite with its installed Quicktime package, too.

I no longer have Mediainfo installed. I believe it came with a mega bundle codec pack that was suggested on this forum. Now would be a good time to suggest the exact codec package that runs the best for PD14 and Fraps AVI files. As it sits, PD14 can't even attempt to run Fraps AVI without any installed codecs at all.

It seems PD14 runs the best STOCK and that the 2302 patch causes a lot crashing problems.

My PC is up for the task. I can play and record games at a very high bitrate with Fraps on SSDs without in any FPS drops, pure 60 FPS. The video quality of Fraps is superb. Like I said before, other editors have no issues processing the Fraps AVI files. Besides there isn't a bitrate to configure, it's all or nothing in Fraps.

The video shows the project. I can upload dxdiag if that that'll help.

As much as I like the simplicity of the PD14 GUI and want to keep the software to use, I'm on the verge of asking for a refund.

Cyberlink protocol or not, official tech support should provide answers in these forums to help people. I purchased the Director 4 suite and would like to know if an update to the crashing issue is going to be resolved in a patch or do if they even care at all. I also would like to know if it will be possible to fix not only FRAPS AVI video issues, but other AVI issues as well that seem to make the program crash. These crashes aren't even related to FRAPS. I can use other brand editors, players and converters without any crashing what so ever.

It would be nice to know from a developer's view about the exact hardware configuration, drivers and additional codecs that are used on his/her system for a flawless experience.

Hey, if Powerdirector can't handle AVI, just let us know.
Hey, Ynotfish. Thanks for trying. I guess this place isn't for me.

"PD13 & 14 on Win10 x64: constant hanging, crashing"

I'm interested in this topic too.
Have you ever gotten a resolution to this problem, Scott?
Go to: