Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hi,
Has anyone experienced this. Some of my images are splitting horizontally at the bottom of the screen. They split and kinda shimmer. (see image) This only happens when viewed on the HDTV screen. They are fine on the computer monitor.

Same way, png or jpg, no difference. It does it on several images on one clip all other clips are fine.

Here's what my timeline looks like.

Thinking about rebuilding the clip next. Hoping someone might know off hand.

Any thoughts or fixes appreciated,
Thanks
Hi Carl312,

unfortunately, most TV sets over scan, how much depends on the brand and age of the TV set.

The one thing you can do in your editor is to turn on the TV Safe Zone to see what is in the area that can be seen on most TV sets.
You lose about 10% of the viewing area on TV sets.

I was afraid of that. I was hoping for an easier fix. I have already been playing with this and having some luck with it.

If I try and put the whole image inside of the TV Safe Zone I get really bad quality loss, from squinching the image in. So I find, if I let some parts of the image hang out of the TV Safe Zone, Like sky, ground etc the loss of quality isn't so bad. I just have to find the sweet spot on each image. unfortunately for me, I only have to do this to about 213 images in my DVD slideshow/movie.

Thanks for clarifying that for me,
Howard
Quote: You may be able to turn off the overscan on that vizio tv. See this link: http://www.ehow.com/how_12134592_turn-off-vizio-overscan.html

Thanks for the info. I'm not having much luck with that. All my TV has are settings for Wide, Panorama and Normal. Doesn't go any deeper than that. That would fix my TV but I want to send my movie to friends and family. If I ever get it done. I want it to be seen on their TVs as well.

Thanks again.
Howard

Tony,

Magic words
as long as there's only one transition in favourites.

I had about a dozen or so favourites in there. I got it.

Thanks again
Lots of GREAT stuff here. Thanks for posting this.
Hi tomasc

Thanks for responding, I'm not sure that I understand the overscan and underscan stuff, but I did modify a set of images by squeezing them into the TV Safe Zone and burned a DVD. I was surprised that they DID fit inside the TV screen, however they did lose some quality from the resize. I guess there's a price for robbing Peter to pay Paul or squeezing the balloon or whatever.

I believe if I left them a little larger than the TV zone, they will still be OK and still be inside the screen. Might help bring the quality back to where it was. Can't hurt to try!

Anyway, thanks for the tip on the TV safe zone. I was aware of it, but I wasn't exactly sure what it was for. I was kinda thinking it was to help in centering or something along those lines. That's what I get for thinking.

Oh, you're probably right about the TV for a monitor thing. It's handy in football season but I guess if I'm going to be doing a lot of this kind of thing I should consider a good PC monitor.

Howard

Hi Tony,

I like your idea of the template. I've made a lot of those when I used to sell motherboards on eBay. Thanks for the transition tip. I was hoping for a way to add one particular transition to all the images, but I guess you can't have everything.

On that CLPV. I found this in the manual.

"Use CLPV to stretch clip to 4:3/16:9 aspect ratio:

Select this option to use CLPV to stretch the image. CLPV (CyberLink Pano Vision) is an image stretching technology from CyberLink that produces minimal distortion in the center of the image."

What I'm wondering about is this "It produces minimal distortion in the center of the image". What about the edges of the image? Does it do anything to shrink the image to fit the 16.9 screen or does it just make the center of the image look better? I don't want to stretch them any more, I need to shrink them.

I have burned a couple of practice projects to disk using 16.9 setting and another using the CLPV. In both cases the images are still hanging out of the screen on my 32" Vizio HDTV. The CLPV didn't do anything different, or at least what these old eyes can see.

Another thing is they fit just fine on my 24" Vizio HDTV that I use for a PC monitor. That is, playing from the hard drive and not thru a DVD Player.

I also cropped my 1280x768 images to 1280x720 and even that didn't make them fit any better. No matter how I do it, my images still are too large for the screen.

I forgot to mention that my Vizio has three aspect ratio settings, They are Normal 4.3, Wide 16.9 and Panorama, whatever. I leave it on wide all the time. Panorama is worse and normal is what it is, 4.3.

Howard
Hey Tony,
Been away from the machine for a few days, I got back to it tonight. I've checked out the CLVP setting, but I haven't burned anything yet. It sounds like the way to go with that. The JPGs will remain as such.

About my progress. I thought I was doing good but apparently I got lucky on those first couple of tries. Seems like the more I floundered the worse it got. I hit it again tonight and I have built 4-5 practice menus with positive success. I'm getting the Pages and Chapters per page down now. I did some, 8 chapters with different combination of pages. 8 chapters 1 page, 8 chapters 2 pages and one with 18 chapters with various combinations of Pages and Chapters. So it is getting better. I was getting tired of seeing the Monopoly template popup every time I hit preview. LOL

On the tutorial. I did look it over in the beginning but it was still confusing because I wasn't getting the steps right and nothing was working. Then I forgot about the tutorial until you mentioned it above. Well I looked at it again and made notes as I paused and played my way through a few times and it finally started to fall together. I was getting a lot of information overload before and it was hard to sort out, but I'll tell you what, after studying that tutorial and with all your pics and information together paid off. I can now make custom menus with "Create Menu". I didn't say I was expert, but they're getting better. They're just practice menus and there's some formatting stuff that I'm still figuring out.

I'm confused about the way the formatting is transferred from the editing page to the real thing (In theTitles/Chapters editor). I build the navigation buttons and they look nice but when I preview it, they are still black and white arrows. Nowhere do I see any of my formatting. That's just the Nav buttons. The chapter numbers and thumbs are fine and everything works good otherwise. That's just one thing, but I won't. load you up in one post.

One, maybe easy, question. In working on the timeline with transitions. Is there a way to fix the same transition to all the images with one click? You can do it in AVS4YOU, just wondering if PDR has that feature. I can't find it, if it does.

Well I'm gonna let you go, sorry about all the rambling,
Thanks a million for taking the time in helping me out,
Howard
Tony,

The above info was well received and to put use. I burned a practice project to DVD and it turned out well, but there are still some things that aren't up to snuff. The menu preset I used had some issues but I will try another. Still haven't had much luck creating my own menu with "Create Disk". Still trying though, haven't given up yet. :

I've read several places that .png format is recommended for all images used in PD13. I'd like to know how important it is to have my photograph images in .png format. They are all in .jpg format as I created them before I owned PowerDirector. Will it make a difference if I converted them or shall I leave them be? There is no need for transparency in the photograph images.

The other thing, my jpgs do not fit the 32' HDTV screen. I have some text on the bottom of most of the images and that text is being cut off at the bottom and probably some at the top of the screen also. The images sizes are all 1280x768. I'm thinking of cropping them all to 1280x720 and maybe they'll fit the TV screen better. I'm not looking forward to doing this as there are about 150 photographs, give or take. What are your thoughts on these images sizes, also the resolutions for TV screens and jpg/png formats.

Thanks again for all the great info, Howard
Hey Tony,

I think I have my mess figured out. I got the 2 page, 2 chapters per page figured out and I also got each of the 2 chapter pages edited. A lot of trial and error and starting over but I guess par for the course. I still have some questions pertaining to the menu structure.

1] I created a template (in the 'CREATE' window) and now I want to save as a New Template with new name, but no buttons anywhere. How can I accomplish this?

2] How can I get rid of the tiny number in the upper left corner of the thumbnails.

I checked out your videos on the tube and learned a lot and am still downloading more.
Thanks, your work is impressive!

Howard
Hi Tony,
Forgot to say, Thanks, for your outstanding responses!

Have a safe and Happy New Year!
Howard
Tony,

I made a page with chapters 1 and 2. Like you said, the page 2 showed up when I created the disk, but the (page 2) wasn't

modified like page 1. I thought the formatting would follow as well but it didn't.

How do you get the modifying of page 2 to follow page 1?
or
How can I see page 2, to modify it like page 1?

Sorry to be a pain!

Howard
Hi Tony,

I'm finally back to work on my little project. Thanks for the link. You make it look easy in the images. I built a practice project with four clips hence four chapters. I would like to put two chapters on two separate pages. I have two chapters on the first page, but for the life of me I cannot figure how to create the second page. I can't find buttons or anything that will let me add the second page.

Could you give some guidance on this little issue?

TIA Howard
Thanks Tony,

I'll try and figure that out. So far not much luck with the menus. I did good , I thought, on building the chapters but when I came to the menus I ran into a brick wall. Really confusing.

Thanks Again, and Happy Holidays
Hi,
I'm new to the forum.

I purchased this software (PD13) the other day in order to get better clarity on the TV screen. I had been using AVS4YOU Video Editor.

I have 18 chapters in my movie and would like to know if there is another way to get them? I believe PD13 only supports 14.

Thanks, any response would be appreciated
Go to: