Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote looking at your DxDiag.txt, your SSD drive has 3 partitions???
SSD drives do not behave like HDD...

other than that your drive is clean.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Yes it has 3 partitions, and what happened was that the old HDD started giving troubles and my son in New Zealand (I'm in South Africa) offered to change it out for me to the SSD unit. He's an IT guy so I gratefully accepted the gift! He simply cloned it as it was. My HDD was partitioned because I was running XP when I changed PC's to this one and some of my software and the Sound Blaster Live card would not run on Windows 7. The small middle partition has info for the boot up selection. I deleted XP however, and have not really bothered to get rid of the partition.

Right now PD-13 is working well enough for me to do editing, so thanks again for the help. Be safe!
Thanks guys, I turned off the HA thing and that made a big difference. I would have thought that this should be ON, so I guess I don't quite understand how it works. The version number is 13.0.3516.0 and I've attached the DxDiag.txt file as well. I really appreciate the help! laughing
Thanks Pepsiman,

My puzzle is that it did work fine before. I'm just wondering if the changing of the hard drive and cloning the info did anything wierd. Just a question.....you said to turn off HA in the preference. Where do I find "HA"? I did find find HD in "Enable HD processing".

I'm just wondering if I should uninstall the program and just re-install it again?

Quote welcome back.
well, you're lucky all theses years. yep, you gotta away and got caught!

in order to edit smoothly, turn off HA in the preference.
get extra 8GB RAM(but it's old so just upgrading the RAM isn't worth spending your hard earned $$$.)
make sure to have 100GB SSD space for Virtual Memory so that PD13 can breathe...

program yourself that you gotta move on... time to get a replacement pc...

what is the best computer for video editing spec:

CPU - fastest, what you can afford without breaking the bank.
avoid intel cpus with single suffixes ix-xxxx U / M to name a few at all cost!(except 9th & 10th Gen)
also avoid AMD APU laptops.

if in doubt then check it out at https://www.cpubenchmark.net .

cpubenchmark score ≥10000 / 1920x1080 FHD, ≥15000 / 3840x2160 4K.

memory - ≥16GB RAM ≥3200MHz

GPU - ≥2GB VRAM; speed check it out at cpubenchmark ≥5000. (update 7/21/20) (GTX 1650Ti 4GB)

Best NVMe M.2 SSD -> http://www.pcgamer.com/best-nvme-ssds/ ≥ 500GB

Best SATA III SSD -> http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-ssd-for-gaming/ ≥ 500GB

higher the CPU & GPU numbers = less pain and higher the wattage means a hole in your wallet.
you will feel it especially if you're running under w10... ^^

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'
Quote welcome back.
well, you're lucky all theses years. yep, you gotta away and got caught!

in order to edit smoothly, turn off HA in the preference.
get extra 8GB RAM(but it's old so just upgrading the RAM isn't worth spending your hard earned $$$.)
make sure to have 100GB SSD space for Virtual Memory so that PD13 can breathe...

program yourself that you gotta move on... time to get a replacement pc...

what is the best computer for video editing spec:

CPU - fastest, what you can afford without breaking the bank.
avoid intel cpus with single suffixes ix-xxxx U / M to name a few at all cost!(except 9th & 10th Gen)
also avoid AMD APU laptops.

if in doubt then check it out at https://www.cpubenchmark.net .

cpubenchmark score ≥10000 / 1920x1080 FHD, ≥15000 / 3840x2160 4K.

memory - ≥16GB RAM ≥3200MHz

GPU - ≥2GB VRAM; speed check it out at cpubenchmark ≥5000. (update 7/21/20) (GTX 1650Ti 4GB)

Best NVMe M.2 SSD -> http://www.pcgamer.com/best-nvme-ssds/ ≥ 500GB

Best SATA III SSD -> http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-ssd-for-gaming/ ≥ 500GB

higher the CPU & GPU numbers = less pain and higher the wattage means a hole in your wallet.
you will feel it especially if you're running under w10... ^^

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'
Hi All,
My PC was working just fine before and then my hard drive packed up, so I replaced it with a 500 gB SSD drive, and all was well for a few months. I'm using PD-13, and now I start editing and after about 4 minutes of clips, each time I add another clip the program starts rendering slowly! This is without any transitions between the clips so it's a puzzle. I can't think of any changes that I've done that could effect the program. My PC is an old I5 processor, with 4 gB of RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Great....it works! You'll se a few minor streaks that are not too bothersome, and to me that is a great improvement. I will also try to capture the footage again in a lossless format on VideoDub. At least I do have a method now that works without too much hassle and I can fix the old video footage for my friends and family.

Keith R

O.K. I'll try that and see if it works.......
Hi Barry, I actually just did the "cut & paste" thing with my script! I also found a few other interesting things today. The produced video was mostly free of the dropout streaks but the motion of anything moving was dithering. Not sure if that's the right word! So I tried everything again with the other tools in RgTools, but it's basically the "Clense" function that does the trick.

I then found that if I deinterlace the video first, then it comes out much better. I guess that I could have included that in the script, but I resorted to the deinterlace function in VirtualDub. When you select the interlace fliter then another window pops up and you have a load of choices, all of which I don't fully understand, but when I used the "interpolate using Yadif algorithm" under the Deinterlacing mode, and then "Double frame rate, topfield first" under the Field order, then the results were magical. My video is now more than acceptable. I guess that I could do this all in one go if I understood the AviSynth scripts better. I am however rather chuffed with the results. I ended up sticking the fixed footage back into Power Director and doing the final edit.

I made a short clip of the intro section to show the difference. If I want to post a video clip here, do I upload it to YouTube, Vimeo etc. and then post the link here?

Keith R
Thanks again Barry, your advice was invaluable! After a lot more trial and error, and loads of frustration (gave up a few times!) I came across RgTools in the AviSynth Wiki. I eventually used a simple script with a few lines to enable the RgTools filter and I fixed my bad video enough to make it more than watchable. I've attached a before and after pic to see. I can tell you that this video was really full of streaks all over and this fix worked. I captured the original footage as an Mpeg 2 file and to use the script in VideoDub 2, I converted the footage to an AVI file. I still need to re-edit the entire clip which I prefer to do in Power Director, but after many weeks of trying to undertand the AviSynth involved scripts and protocols, this works so well for me, and I did not have to get involved with that very steep learning curve.

Here is my .avs script:

LoadPlugin("RgTools.dll")
DirectShowSource("Location and name of your video to fix.avi")
ConvertToYV12()
input=last
AssumeTFF()
RemoveGrain
Clense

I put the RgTools.dll file in the same folder that I saved the above script in. If anyone needs to know the whole setup, then I can post it here. Basically you need to install AviSynth, and this filter, plus VirtualDub 2 and get used to that. I also ran the deinterlace filter in VirtualDub at the same time and now I will just edit the whole clip properly and stick it on a DVD for my friends. This is so great and will fix most of my bad footage.

Keith R
Quote The newer LIVE Powerdirector include all New Blue products, some of which may help, and Boris, which also has some restoration ability, but...
...VirtualDub is your best bet. I, same as you, are completely offput by the Avisynth part of VirtualDub, and I never even tried to use it.
A better VCR might help, but Vdub, it's plugins, and Avisynth are your only real options.
Have you joined the DFAQ forum? They are the experts on VHS.

Thanks Barry, I'll have a look at the DFAQ forum. I was afraid that you would say that I need to use AviSynth. It looks powerful but even though I do some small programs using PIC chips and I am an electronics guy, that stuff does not look easy to implement. Anyway, I'll plug on. If I do figure it out, I'll post something back here.
Hi All,

I'm busy dumping some old VHS and Video 8 footage and every now and then I get horizontal scratches or dropout problems. Is there a fix for this in Power Director? I still use PD 13 which is fine for most of my editing. I did find AviSynth that can be used with VirtualDub but wow........it's quite complex to figure out! Is there another way? Thanks.

Keith R
O.K.....BING!! (now I need that lightbulb icon) I thnk that this is just me having OTD (Old Timer's Disease). I figured out that this particular motion blur effect only applies to objects or text and basically the effcts added in the PIP menu, and not the actual video footage. I will therefore have to look for some other way of smoothing the motion of fast moving objects like my model planes when filming from a fixed camera view.

Sorry for my misunderstanding and thanks to the guys that tried to help. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should look? Thanks.

Keith R
Hi Robert,

Motion blur in the normal context smears the image and that creates a smoother illusion of motion. I use the effect in animation using Blender software. It is not a jittery overall video, it is just the moving objects that do not not move smoothly.

Keith R
Hi, Thanks for the info and link to that video. I tried the motion blur on title text and also on an object against a background. That works as I thought it should. I used an arrow object and moved it across the screen from right to left. The faster it moves the more jittery it looks. I then added motion blur and it works, so I dumped that to a video file without the motion blur and then imported it just as a video file with the jittery moving arrow and tried to add motion blur to that. It shows no visible difference which is exactly my question about video footage. My basic Canon Legra video camera shoots very nice HD footge but has no adjustable shutter speed to fix the jittery movement like the pro camera's have. I was hoping that the motion blur effect could be used in video footage to get rid of the jitters!

Maybe I'm not using this effect correctly or something?? Do I simply select the video clip and add motion blur or is the more to this? Thanks.

Keith R
Hi All,

I'm using PD 13. I take a clip and open the Modify window and then go to Motion and highlight the Motion blur button. I then set the blur length and density, save the clip but cannot see any sign of any motion blur. I am trying to cure the jitter on fast moving objects shot from a fixed camera position, so maybe I'm not using this feature correctly. Any help will be appreciated. Many thanks.

Keith R
Longedge: I Googled best home digital editor system and came up with the usual "Top 10" etc. Quiet a few of the articles stated that PD13 was better than Premier, or Pinnacle and that's why I bought it. I actually downloaded it because I could not find it here in South Africa. It is a powerful program and has some wonderful features and many pre-made titles and menu's etc. but mostly I don't use other peoples pre-made stuff and prefer to create my own. I have a background in pro-video from the old Betacam days of linear editing, and I was taught by some vey good editors not to use a lot of fancy effects. I was also told to just watch how the pro's do it, and that is a fact for sure. Hmmm.....I would also love a serious camera and some decent mics plus a mixer!

Stevek: Thanks for the info on the formats. I need to buy a dedicated digital video camera or a good quality digital SLR camera with HD video, just for the nice lenses that are available. What is bugging me to death right now more than this DVD burning issue, is the jerky or strobing movement on moving objects. I flim model airplanes a lot and I'm always trying to get around this problem. I notice also that it gets worse if I use an incorrect editing format. I would love to know what the real pro camera's are doing to lessen this effect.

The problem that I started with on this thread seems like a bug in the PD13 system because I cannot burn any program directly without getting the error. If I then render it again as another file type then it burns to DVD.
Thanks for the extra replies. I think that whoever said that PD was better than Pinnacle or Premier has never used these editors. The PD instructions in the help menu are also too vague. If you can't burn an edited movie directly to a disc then the program is just plain wrong. If you have to first render it as another file like an MP2, then it just wastes time.

Just a question please. I shot my video originally on a Canon SX 600 still camera with full HD video, so I would guess that to see it like the original file on the pc, I would need to burn it to a Blue Ray disc. Am I right?? Can a standard DVD only use MP2 on it? Thanks

Keith R
Thanks for that, but I am trying just short movies for now and I've set it for HQ and the picture quality is aweful to say the least.
Hi All,
I'm new to PD13 but I am getting used to it's quirks. I am quite good at Pinnacle Studio and this is supposed to be better. It isn't and has just different funnies which I guess that all digital video editors have. O.K. so now I've managed to edit some video footage and I would like to burn a DVD. I used a brand new DVD -RW disc in case of problems. It gets to around 92% and then says "Burning unsuccessful. Error code:e001000D and repeats the same code again.

I then tried different footage but got the same results. I did try producing the video as an Mpeg 2 file, and it actually burns but the picture quality is bad, really bad. If I just play the same Mpeg 2 file as it is on the pc, then it looks good. What am I doing wrong?? Please help! Thanks very much.

Keith R
Hi, I have a Dazzle capture device and I tested it on PD13 with Windows 7. It does not find the device. I also have a dual boot system with XP and W7 and I did this to keep using my Pinnacle capture card that has the firewire input. There are no available drivers to run this card on any Windows OS after XP. When I installed PD13 I was pleasantly surprised to find that my Pinnacle card now works on W7. I previously posted on this forum that I could not get any sound when using the analog input for VHS video, but that was an issue with my sound card mixer and not PD 13. Once again I did not want to chuck out my old Sound Blaster Live sound card because I also use MIDI music stuff and I just can't find another suitable card with these features....without breaking the bank. I then found the KX mixer driver from Russia and the sound card is now working. Hope this helps.

Keith R
Go to: