Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Well, I just installed this patch and PD13 still has instability issues. Multicam Designer crashed my computer twice in succession so bad, even the reset button didn't work. I had to physically power off the computer to get it back.
Cyberlink, if you're listening: In future if you want me to Beta test your software, you can give it to me for free or pay me by the hour. I'm going back to PD12 and when PD14 comes out, I won't be rushing forward to buy it.
This may or may not be your problem, but I have experienced colour shifts when using hardware acceleration. For that reason, I no longer use hardware acceleration when rendering.
One of the best feature CL ever put in PD was the Multi-Cam Designer. Unfortunately, it looks like they rushed the development and didn't complete it. Here's my suggestions for MCD
1) Allow a marker to be set on an imported audio track as is done for the video tracks, so that the imported audio can also be synced.
2)The timeline can be expanded (zoomed) like the main timeline in PD, but there is no facility to "view entire movie", that is, to view the full extent of the clips with a single click as is available on the main timeline.
3)Each track in the MCD timeline can contain one or MORE clips, but only ONE marker can be placed per track. It would be very useful to allow a separate marker on each clip and to identify the markers for syncing. The main timeline has identifiable markers so why not MCD?
4)As per #3, allow timeline markers in MCD as per the main timeline.
5)Currently there is a facility for syncing tracks in the main timeline, but only by the audio content. This looks like another rushed/partial implementation. If the clips to be synced have different or no audio, the syncing facility is essentially not useful. Where's the ability to sync by timecodes, file creation date or markers on clips?
6)The syncing facility on the mai timeline looks like a start of migrating MCD to the main timeline. How hard would it have been to migrate the other facilities of MCD to the timeline WRT syncing clips?
7) In MCD there is no way to delete segments from the "recording" track. Segments can be overwritten and the target camera can be changed, but it would be useful to be able to delete a segment as well.
8. Allow the preview and camera view panes to be resized. Currently the camera views are too small to pick up fine detail.

I regularly do multiple cameraI shoots and IMO, the addition of MCD alone in version 12 justified the purchase price I paid for the upgrade from V.11, but I think it needs to be completed.
This is something that PD does well. By combining keyframes for motion, rotation, scale, transparency etc, you can do a lot with some simple PNG graphics. There are some nice freeware programs to create PNG graphics such as GIMP.

Here's a video I did that I animated some arrows I made. I also used some other graphics.
http://youtu.be/5TWzH70teM8
Kevin64: I agree that in the prosumer field PD is the best, but I still think that CL are starting to focus more attention to fizzy transitions and effects rather than the functionality. I'd like to see improvements in the usability of the program such as completing the Multi-Cam designer and the Disk menu designer for instance, rather than spending time on the cosmetic appearance of the user interface. There are other gaps in the program as well that others have identified. I rushed forward and purchased this version based on my past experience with PD upgrades, but I'll be downloading the trial versions in future before I decide to buy.
Seriously, PD13 is a bit of a damp squib IMO.

There is STILL no provision in multi cam designer to put a synch marker on imported audio.

Also in Multi cam designer there is no "view entire movie" type feature as there is on the main timeline. So when you zoom in in MCD, you have to zoom back out manually.

The menu creator for the Disk creation is STILL the same piece of lame rubbish with just a few new bells and whistles.

I haven't tried the multi cam on the timeline feature yet, but according to the publicity, the clips can only be auto synched by their audio content.

I tried the "new stabiliser" feature on a 25 second clip. It warns that it is processor intensive and suggests using the "Render to preview" feature. Good luck with that! I have a 64bit system and 128Gbytes of RAM and it took 30 MINUTES to render a 25 second clip to preview!!!!! NOT good enough!

I don't know what's happening with the PD development team, but this release looks like a cosmetic upgrade and there are a lot of half-baked features in the program that have been crying out to be fixed since I started using PD with V8, like the disk menu designer. I'm seriously considering changing to anothe NLE product.
Hellebauer:

This is easily done in the title designer. You can put many individual text items in one "title" In the title designer, double click on an area of the preview that doesn't contain text and then type in your new title Then move the new text to where you want it in the preview. Repeat this to add as many text items as you need in the one Title unit.
I have an idea for a toot.
Recently Idiscovered a different way to use the multi-cam designer.
Here's a scenario:
I have footage from four cameras that show the same action from different angles, and I have audio from a seperate audio recorder. I synch them all up with MCD, but instead of pressing record and then selecting from the different views on the fly and then taking the output all in one long sequence, I only want selected portions of the footage.
Here's what I do;
I scrub through the synched footage in MCD until I find a section that I want. I look at the different camera views and select the one I want. Then I press the record button and then stop when I've got the clip that I want. Then I scrub to the next section that I want in the output. This DOESN'T have to directly follow on from the previous clip. Then I select the view I want and press record again. Repeat for as many portions of the footage as I want. The clips don't have to be contiguous. When I'm finished, I will have only the shots that I want from the synched footage, synchronised with the audio.

As a follow on from this, I can render the MCD generated footage to a new file. Then, I use that file in a project and using the scene detection process, I can split this composite clip into the original clips, but arrange them on the timeline in a different order to what they were shot.

It would probably be easier to understand this process if it was demonstrated in a PD Toot, but I don't have the software tools to do this.

Go to: