Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I recently installed PowerDirector 21 Ultra (version # 21.0.2031.0) on my new computer. I also installed Adobe Photoshop Elements 22. I have used the Elements organizer for 10 years to organize my thousands of videos and images. I have always been able to import any video into PD from the organizer.

PD appears to accept these videos into the project's library but does not play them in the preview window. Occasionally it plays the audio -- the audio only, not the video itself. Every once in a while it actually shows the video correctly in the preview window but the next time I play it the video no longer plays.

Does my PD software have a glitch? I don't believe the problem is with the organizer because I can copy videos to any place -- desktop, any folder, other video software -- and they always play perfectly. PD is the only place they won't play.

Extremely frustrating, preventing me from producing new videos. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Don
Quote Yes. It's possible that a few things might need to be tweaked but overall your projects should work as expected.

Note that once you save a PD12 project from PD19, however, it can't ever be opend by PD12 again so you may want to make/save a new copy of each project in case you ever need to open the original in PD12 again.

Thank you optodata.
I own PD 12. If I buy PD 19 Ultra lifetime, can it open projects created in PD 12 and will I be able to work on them? Thank you.
I own PD 12. If I buy PD 19 Ultra lifetime, can it open projects created in PD 12 and will I be able to work on them? Thank you.
Can PD19 play videos created in PD12?

Also: I wanted to find and install updates and patches for PD12. But when I find a patch and try to download it, all I get is a promo for PD19 and a download for a trial version of PD, not what I want. Is there some way to update a PD12 that I first downloaded and paid for about 7 years ago?
OK. Thanks again playsound. Don
Thank you cuartetto. Now I see how it works. Don

Hello fkaMikeB and tomasc,

Thanks much. You got me experimenting and now I can view the tutorials -- but ONLY if I switch from my usual Firefox browser and use IE (which I never ever ever use).

I usually go to the directorzone tutorials directly from my PD project (by clicking in the upper right), but tutorials will not play. But even with Firefox, if I go to the Cyberlink promotional page for PD -- http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-deluxe/tutorials_en_US.html -- the sample tutorials there play fine. It's only when I switch to directorzone -- http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/tutorial/pdr/# -- that I'm shut down.

It's a mystery, it's a misery, to me. But at least I've got an end-run around the problem, by making use of IE, a browser I haven't used in years.

Thanks much for your help on this.

Don

Playsound: OK, thank much for the information. Don

Playsound, you're helping me so much. Thank you again.

I was able to rotate the video exactly as you said. Again, just perfect.

Don

Dear Playsound:

THANK YOU THANK YOU. Works beautifully.

Don

Hello Playsound,

Thank you for the quick reply. But it still doesn't work.

By the way, the first sentence in your message was garbled -- apparently some words missing?

Yes, you're right that if I open Wave Editor and then import an audio file, the menus work fine. But that's only if I import an audio file from my hard drive.

But instead, what I want to do is bring in an audio clip directly from my Power Director time line, edit the audio, and then have the changed audio go right back in its place in the timeline. PD is supposed to do this: I simply right-click on the audio clip, click on Edit Audio/Wave Editor, and the clip goes right into WE. But the File and View menus remain nonfunctional.

Thanks for any further guidance you can give me.

Don

I often want to make the audio or video tracks bigger or smaller. I’m given the option of adjusting the heights to one of three settings: small, medium or large. But is there no way to make the heights pretty much any height I want, using a slider or a control key?

As usual, thanks much for your help.

Don

I sometimes encounter videos that have been shot vertically. When played on the QuickTime player or on iTunes, they display correctly -- vertical. But when brought into Windows Media Player or into Power Director, they played sideways.

Is there some way to play these videos in the correct orientation in Power Director?

Thanks.

Don

I’ve come up against a curious problem that I thought was a fault of the Director Zone website and would be corrected. Now I’m not so sure.

For months now, whenever I go to Cyberlink’s Director Zone site for tutorials -- http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/tutorial/pdr/# --
none of the tutorials will play.

A simple thing happens every single time to any of the tutorials I click on. Let’s say I click for instance on “PIP Designer and Masks”. Instead of opening up the 4:26 video and playing it, the screen image slides downward, revealing the promo image at the top of the screen that says “PowerDirector -- Complete Editing Tools for the Video Creative Experts”. That image includes a huge play button, but clicking on that does nothing.

I’ve resorted to finding PD videos on youtube, which works OK. But I wonder why the videos on the Director Zone website simply won’t play for me.

Thanks for your help.

Don

I have PD 12 Ultra and often wish to use the Wave Editor for sound editing. The Wave Editor seems to work fine and makes any changes I want in the sound file. But I can't use any of the functions listed under the File and View menus (including Save) because they are grayed out and nonfunctional.

Fortunately I can edit a video clip and then have it imported back into PD by the trick of just closing Wave Editor (clicking on the X in the upper-right of the screen). A window then comes up pointing out that I haven’t saved my changes to the file and asking if I’d like to do so. I say yes, and it does it. But of course I shouldn’t have to handle it like this.

Any thoughts on this problem? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you very much.

Don
Thank you very much for the info, borgus1 and carl312.

Don

How can I get rid of the annoying pop-up that appears every time I'm in a project and I go to File/Open Project and ask to see another project:

"Would you like to merge your project’s media library files with the current media files in this Library?"

I can't find anywhere to turn this darn thing off.

And is it true that you cannot have more than one PD project open at a time? Bummer.

As usual, many thanks for your help.

Dear playsound and borgus1:

Thanks so much. I did it as you explained and it worked perfectly.

Don

Followup question for playsound:

I believe I did what you suggested. In a saved project, I selected a part with yellow and then clicked on the Copy option. (To be sure I had copied the part, I immediately tested that by clicking on the Paste option, and the part was successfully pasted into the saved project.)

I then closed the saved project and opened a new project, hoping to save the selected part there. I was given no Paste,Save option, but in Edit menu is the Paste option -- but it remained grayed out and nonfunctional.

I tried this several times without luck. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help and your patience.

Don

Go to: