Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hi

PD17 patch 3005 - I7 7700 3.60Ghz 16mb RAM GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Original mp4 files 50p: 624 mb + 68 mb +84 mb + title added - Total size 776 mb

Produced mp4 50p: produce method SVRT - output file 793 mb - time to produce 08 seconds
Produce mp4 50p: produce method Hardware video encoder - output file 1.1 GB - time to produce 01min21sec

There is no difference in output quality. Which method is to prefer? How to explain the difference in file size?

Louis V
Quote Hello LouisV,

As far as I'm aware, the level of camera/lens support between the 365 subscription & perpetual versions of PhD10 is identical. I'm not sure what may have led someone to make such a statement.

Checking the installed program folders for each version confirms this. In C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PhotoDirector10\PhotoDirector presets the contents of the CameraProfile & LensProfile folders, & all sub-folders, are identical in every respect. The same profiles are available on DZ, irrespective of the version used.

It's true that Adobe has a strong reputation with regard to updating lens & camera profiles in Lr.

I understand you'd like to be "sure my rawfiles are supported correctly. Fuji RAF and Panasonic RW2." In general terms, PhD will work with RAF & RW2 files. It would be more useful for you to know whether your particular cameras & lenses are supported.

e.g. PhD10 has no issues with .RAF files from Fuji GFX50S, but balks at those from the (new) GFX100. With the Panasonics, there are no issues with most I've tested but there are display issues with .RW2s from Pana S1 & GH5S.

As you can see, determining compatibility is totally dependant on camera/lens details.

PIX

Thank you PIX.

My Fuji EX2 is not supported. PHD opens the RAF's but as you know, lenscorrection is often necessary. For these files, development in Darktable (open source), export to jpg and finishing in PHD is a work around.
For my Panasonic Lumix LX-15 (10 in the States) I have found a solution. Selecting Sony DSC-RX100M4 gives a very good result.

Grz
LouisV
Hi

I am using PHD 10. Support for lenscorrection is minimal. I've read somewhere that PHD 365 supports more lenses. Where can I find a list of these lenses?

I don't like the annual subscriptions, so before subscribing, I will be sure my rawfiles are supported correctly. Fuji RAF and Panasonic RW2.

I do like working with PHD, but lenscorrection apparently is not of great interest for CL. I hope I will not be forced to subscribe Adobe's Lightroom.

grz

Louis V
Quote There are several threads on the forum regarding similar issues, but I didn't see a clear-cut answer. One possibility is that your particular PD17 level doesn't include those FX.

If you uninstalled the older PD versions before you installed PD17, you may have also removed the older FX packs. If you bought an "upgrade" license for PD17, you're not allowed to retain older versions, but if you have the subscription version or if you paid for a new installation, you can go back and reinstall those older packages and PD17 should be able to access them.

For more assitance, try contacting Cyberlink support here. You can also contact NewBlue directly, especially if you paid for any of the deactivated packs.

Thank you, makes sense. I did an upgrade from 15 to 17.

Grz

LouisV
Hi
I'm using PD17. For some reason NewBlue Video Essentials VI and VII effects are protected with a cross and watermark. I previous used PD11 - PD13 - PD15 and in none of these versions NewBlue effects were installed as trials.
I recognize some effects from PD15 and these effects were usable.

grz
LouisV
PhotoDirector 10

What am I doing wrong? The outlines won't go away after applying layer or clipping masks when I click Pick and Move in the upper corner.

See arrows in picture.

Thank you

Louis V

Look mate, I do not want this thread to be a personal attack arena. What I said has been in the minds of other people as well. If you do not have anything useful to contribute, please keep your "spirit of the community" and feel free to stay off my thread.

Thanks.

If you dont want this thread to be personal, then don't start to be. I hope other members will think twice before helping you again. You're a real asset to this forum. Congratulations.

Not sure why you getting extra worked up.

That's why: "Such a shame that you guys are finding excuses for CL's lousy dev teams..."

That is such a lousy excuse. PD never said anything like don't use it with laptops on its advertising material.

In fact, they literally have a picture of a laptop on their advertising material for PD. Most high end people editing videos are always on the move these days and PD says it is catering towards basically pros as well as beginners and not everyone owns a full on computer at home.

Such a shame that you guys are finding excuses for CL's lousy dev teams who still haven't managed to fix a defect that's been raised over and over a long time ago.

Finding excuses? Excuse me! We are only trying to help you, that's the spirit of this community. Had your problem a couple of years ago and I have come to the conclusion that PD and laptops are not best friends. So don't be frustrated because I am telling you how things are. PD is the best price/value/learning curve editing program you will find on the market. It is not made for the professional market. You don't buy a Rolls for 10.000 ! If you want professional quality pay for Edius or Adobe Premiere Pro or buy a Mac and use Apple Final Cut Pro X.
I don't agree. Other video editors correctly recognize iGPu / dGPU on laptops. This is definitely an issue with PD. NOT nVidia control panel or driver.

GGRussell, I think we are saying the same thing. I wrote not to use a laptop FOR EDITING WITH POWERDIRECTOR. You are absolutely right that Adobe (and others) recognize dGPU's. That is why I suggested Browniie 112 to use Hitfilm. It is free, but with a serious learning curve. PD is simple to use and fast. For serious work Hitfilm is better.
Quote Anyone know if this has been addressed as it's been going on for at least 2 years. Would love to upgrade if they finally fixed the code and not blaming intel/optimus/nvidia/radeon/weather/god for PD not utilizing the GPU.

Your problem (and the problem of thousands and thousands) will never be solved. Just don't use a laptop for editing with PowerDirector. It's the way laptops use graphic cards that makes it practically impossible to use the dedicated card with PD.
Try Hitfilm instead if you don't have a desktop and need to render large files.
I use PD since version 11, now PD15 and soon PD17, and I still don't know the difference between videovolume and audiovolume in audiomixer (F9). For complex mixing I use Audiodirector, but for simple adjustments I use audiomixer.
Any links on the forum where I can find more detailed information?

Thank you

LouisV
Quote LouisV

I'm glad we've been able to help. Pix got to the nub of what I was suspecting.

The colours are there because you can add a number (up to 5 I think), of masks to the same picture. The colours are there to help you to distinguish them from each other and have no effect in themselves.

So, for instance, You could have one mask to lighten the top half of the picture and another to add Sharpness.

In the attached, I have added brightness to the bottom half and added more saturation to the blues in the sky, using two gradient masks.

Hello

I see. I thought the colours, e.g. red, were influencing everything that is red in the picture when using the mask. That is why I always was looking for a blue dot to use. I suppose that, instead of the coloured dots, CL could have used all black dots with a number in them.

Thank you
Grz
LouisV
Quote Hello LouisV,

Phil's been asking the right questions, and I have another...

Are you certain the gradient mask was active when you were making the adjustments? When a mask is active it shows with a coloured dot, as in the screenshot below:

This is not any kind of tutorial because it lacks any kind of structure, but this screen capture may provide some clues as to what's going wrong.

PIX

Hello, problem solved!!

I know now what went wrong. When I used a gradient mask, I waited until I had a blue dot (deleted the red or green... - I still don't understand why sometimes there is a red one, or a green one -RGB?- or even yellow or magenta etc.) and I changed the sliders until I had the wanted - blue - effect. I thought that clicking 'done' would save it. I see now that one has to make adjustments in exposure etc. before clicking the done-button.

Pix and Philwild, thank you very much. You made my day!

LouisV
Quote So when you've applied the mask, Which of the sliders have you changed to apply to the mask?

Phil

All 3 to obtain the wanted effect. See the attachment. I start with gradient mask 2.jpg, then apply the gradient mask (gradient mask.jpg) click Done and the result is the same as gradient mask 2.jpg (so no changes saved).

Louis
Quote What changes did you make with the mask in operation?

Phil

It is a sort of "collage" or poster that my grandson has to make for homework. It is a picture of a rockconcert, mainly in night blue colors. I substituted one of the rockstars with a picture of my grandson holding a guitar. To make this transition more credible, I chose gradient mask (blue color) from right under to half way left up. Everything fine but for the saving of the result. When I click "done" the gradient change disappears and nothing happens. The problem is that every change I make with the regional (local?) settings (my native language is Dutch) never are definitive. "Done" has the same effect as Ctrl+Z.

Tried Gimp but the result is worse then with PhotoDirector (learning curve to high for a Gimp novice).

grz
Louis
When I apply a gradient mask on a picture and click Done, nothing happens. The gradient mask just disappears. Nothing happens.
What do I do wrong?

By portable, do you mean laptop? I'm using a desktop.

Yes, laptop. On a laptop it is almost impossible to disable your iGPU (Intel). I have forgotten the technical details, but the system needs the iGPU to work properly on a laptop. When you are using a desktop you can disable the iGPU in the BIOS (UEFI). PD then has to use the NVidia card; so for PD there is no choise between iGPU and NVidia. I have done so and PD works fine with NVidia 1060 (I7-7700 , 3,60 GHz).

Good luck
grz
LouisV
Don't use PD on a portable with integrated graphics. It will seldom work. It was a problem in the past, it is a problem now and it will be a problem in the future. I have spent hours and hours to try to work my NVidia without success. Cyberlink says it is a NVidia problem, NVidia says it is a Cyberlink problem. Portables will always try to use the Intel graphics. Open your Bios and see if you can select the NVidia. If there is no option for selecting, just give up, you're waisting your time. Just remember that PD has the fastest rendering of all. So, even with a modern Intel gpu you probably will render faster than rendering with another editor that uses NVidia.

grz
LouisV
Quote Hi - I have created my video and I want to add what is either known as PIP or overlay. My video is basically me talking with a blank background so I want to choose a ready mady whatever that will fit either side or both sides and the top to male it more visually appealing. Can anybody tell me what would be the best way to do this and where I might find these?

What you need is the green screen technique. Just Youtube on green screen and you will find what you need. PD is capable of handling green screen.

grz
LouisV
Go to: