Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

bctf1, your 50% CPU usage is probably more like 100% on physical cores as you probably have SMT activated. I've not seen PD take significant of advantage of that technology, but your real CPU load is now calculated based on 50% more procs than physical, so often the low perceived use. Have you verified, is you light GPU load just decoding?

RX570 has never been real compliant with PD in my view, I've posted several threads on issues previously, often you got a fraction of the profile bitrate and it often capped well under 45Mbps. These users also had issues, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/82704.page#post_box_340828 one donated his RX580 to daughter. In my view you are probably better off using your CPU for encoding with PD15.

Jeff

Thank you for your reply. My GPU load of only 7-8% is definately encoding load. In your opinion, would my Quadro P400 be more effective for hardware accelerated encoding in PD 15 Ultra since it has an NVENC chip? It makes my wonder after reading the following statement in the link you provided:

"PD does not have any CUDA based encoders, they simply use the Nvidia NVENC and NVDEC for encoding and decoding".

It's almost certainly due to the specific edits on your timeline. Not every section of every project can benefit from (or even use) hardware encoding.

For example, if your last section has clips with LUTs applied, that correction has to be done by the CPU before anything else can happen and the GPU will sit mostly idle during that period.

Thank you for your reply. It appears to me that hardware accelerated encoding actually never kicks in on some of my renders regardless of the content of my video. I am not using LUTs and my footage is from a gopro hero7, most of which is 1080p at 60fps with 45mbps bit rate. My most recent render of a 6Gb file took over 3.5 hours in Powerdirector with GPU activity hovering at 7-8% and CPU % never exceeding 50%. This is on a Ryzen 5 2600 . RX 570 and 16Gb of ram. I can render a 30Gb video in Handbrake in 2 hours using CPU only or in less than 30 minutes using GPU hardware encoding.

Is there something wrong with my installation? Do I need to re-install Powerdirector?
I am rendering 1080p/60fps video in Powerdirector 15 Ultra with hardware acceleration enabled using an AMD RX 570 GPU in Windows 10 Pro. Task manager reports 80-100% GPU video encoding utilization with 35-50% CPU utilization for the first 45% of the encoding process. At the 45% complete mark, GPU utilization drops to 8% for the duration of the encoding. This behavior is happening every time I encode a video in Powerdirector.

FWIW, I am using the latest (20.7.2) Radeon software. Also, I have checked Enable OpenCL technology and Enable hardware decoding in Powerdirector. My CPU is a Ryzen 5 2600 with 16GB of ram.

Why is this happening and what can I do to stop this behavior?
Thank you to Jeff and tomasc,

The registry edit did solve my issue. I can now color correct my H.264 2.7K gopro video and encode it natively @ 2.7K using either GPU hardware acceleration or using CPU encoding. FWIW, I am running PD on a Ryzen 5 2600 with a Radeon RX 570 GPU and 16GB of ram. Thank you guys very much for your persistence and good work.

Brad
Quote SVRT kind of hit and miss with PD. Usually if one can have PD create the profile with the "Intelligent SVRT" feature at the top you have the best chance of it working fairly well. Many Gopro record in a variable bitrate. If this bitrate for your footage is outside a band, PD SVRT often will not work. That can be very clip content dependent too.

In your case, since you said you did color corrections, SVRT does not apply since you are changing the video from the source. Try it on an unaltered clip and see if you can select the feature with a proper profile.

Jeff

Jeff,

I imported the same 2.7K @ 24fps gopro video as before and applied no color correction to it as you suggested. I selected my custom profile on the Produce page and the Hardware video encoder option was not available as before when had I color corrected this same video. The Hardware video encoder continues to be avaiable for selection on every other profile name/quality option on the Produce page for this video. There has to be a setting somewhere that is not making the Hardware video encoder option available for this custom profile.
Quote Your video bitrate numbers are off by 1000. For that basic setting, you should be able to define in the GUI as shown.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff for your quick reply. After changing the bitrate numbers, the custom profile ran without crashing PD. However, I was not able to select Fast rendering technology: Hardware video encoder for this profile like I can for all of the default profiles. What do I need to do to enable this feature for my custom profile?
I have successfully imported 2.7K @ 24fps video from a Gopro 7 Black that I want to output at the same resolution and frame rate in PD Ultimate 15.0.2509.0 after color correcting the footage. Since there is no existing output profile for this resolution, I have created a custom profile. However, PD crashes immediately when I run this custom profile. I can output this video without issue for all other H.264/AVC profile/resolution options. I have pasted the contents of the custom 2.7K profile below. Any help would be appreciated.

&
<Class>MPEG-4 AVC
<Name>Custom 1
<Description>MPEG-4 2.7K 2704x1540/24p (60 Mbps)
<Output FileName>
<DescID>11920
<NameID>19019
<Group>2
<File Format Class>11
<Video Format Class>8
<Audio Format Class>10
<Stream Flag>3
<Field Order>0
<Attribute>40083
<Video BitRate>60000
<Min BitRate>30000