Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Just an update and a thanks to all that took the time to help. After all this I did what Sonic said and installed the latest driver for my card (which was the same one that was originally installed on this machine) Lo and behold I can now select the NVIDIA gpu from the contrul panel and it works. Just fine. I guess a fresh re-install was all it needed. Why ? I dont know but it works and I am happy.
Thanks again to all of you.
What if you put all your images on the timeline. However many you like. Default time 5 secs / image. No audio. Then produce. Then take the produced video/slide show back to timeline. Add audio. Go to Power tools or Action and set the video duration to the exact audio duration. Wouldn't that solve it ? No math.
Thanks for the additional inputs guys. Will revert to proper driver and move on from this. I have to say though that this machine was purchased for $ 300 and performed very nicely out of the refurb box. Upgrade to SSD and moved the HDD to the DVD bay and it not only scores highly on Benchmark tests but Windows is at 6.9 and thats more than sufficient for me. It will not float my boat however but can be used ON my boat if I so choose. And I like that. Again thanks to all for sharing your knowledge. It truly is appreciated.
Scott
UPDATE

Well I downloaded and went to intstall the older driver as suggested and what do you know.......screen went BLACK and I couldnt access anything. No joke. So after many stressfull moments researching from my phone a hard restart brought everything to life again.
I HATE doing things like this but live and learn. My external HDD and backup was unplugged so at least I cant loose EVERYTHING.

So bottom line. Back to Nvidia control panel and I still cant select my GPU for PD. It does allow me to select it for other programs such as paint so I know it can be selected where a program allows. I will just have to let the i7 gpu do the work.
It wasnt performing badly though. I really wanted to know if there was a benefit to a dedicated GPU or not. I will not know for sure on this machine. But will use it where programs allow.

Next and hopefully last thoughts.......leave the old driver now or clean re-install the original ? I do plan on installing other graphics programs down the line as my needs for motion graphics increases.

Thanks to all of you who provided very helpful information.
At some point one of us has to sit down and systematically try to reproduce this problem. Its odd that only a small number of us experience this. Its getting on my nerves though
Agreed....
Nothing wrong. My suggestions were to continue along the method of keyframing which I believe the " dots " were supposed to accomplish. As a beginner getting a feel for keyframing helped me immensely. The sooner the better.
Quote Edit clip keyframe. Its above the timeline when you click on the little page icon. You can do all one level or vary using keyframes

This looks like progress. When you say "You can do all one level" I haven't figured that out. Like on the wave form there is a little dot at the biginning and end and if I move one the other one doesn't move, so it's more like fading rather than the overall volume. If I'm in the middle of the wave form it puts a dot there too. Thanks

Meaning if you go to volume adjustment from this method you can set the volume to the same level across the entire clip. Or you can vary the volume however you wish by using keyframes. I prefer doing it this way instead of using the dots on the audio wave. They are too small for my liking. You are marking keyframes either way but doing it as described gives you much more precision.

Take a look at this thread. For a simple answer look at what Barry the Crab suggested. That is what I am describing.

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/52193.page

And yes....I agree that volume control, whether it be on the timeline or even in Audio Director can be improved on greatly. Using little dots in the way that they behave is bizzar indeed.

I hope this helps
Edit clip keyframe. Its above the timeline when you click on the little page icon. You can do all one level or vary using keyframes
I think it depends on what you do now vs what you can do with the new features. For instance, I add background audio to many of my projects. With 15 I had to adjust the audio manually when I wanted the main track to dominate and visa versa for the background audio. The audio ducking feature in 16 can do this. I like to film my sons sports and create action videos for him. 16 has a cool video collage feature that I can use for nice effects with action vids. Photo Director 9 that came with the upgrade has some nice new features that I can use as well. You can accomplish many of these things with older versions but with more manual effort. And thats not a bad thing because you learn new techinques and tricks along the way. But if you want the software to do all that then you have to determine how much time you will save by using new features that the upgrade provides. Or how will these features add to the quality of your project.

The three features I mentioned alone were worth the $70 to me because I use them. I dont do any 360 stuff and dont plan to so that capability is just that. A capability.

However I have seen some of the most amazing vids , clips, effects, title sequences, intros, etc created on much older versions of PD
It still comes down to your own creativity and skill level to use these tools to for maximum effect.

$70 wont make you a better editor but it will give you some extra tools to allow your creativity to expand.

Just my 3 cents.
Quote Jeff and Tomasc is very knowledgeable so don't worry about it. it'll not crash, it'll burn itself to death. ^^
whenever updating the GPU drivers always always do a clean install.

what really you and Myk want to see is GPGPU acceleration... since my desk pc is built on AMD so PD goes to discrete video cards; however, when you have Intel cpus with built in GPUs then PD wants to go to the sugar daddy, intel HD GPUs... then there is Optimus problems... yup both dsktops and laptops.

like i said earlier, don't worry be happy happy joy joy. mentioned problem is about two years old or during PD14 when the new GPU architectures devued...

i've also included in my pics are the nVidia WHQL driver versions that'll do HA! WHQL 378.92 also do HA on my desktop. i say again don't ask me about wX and or PD15/16.

my dell xps which is 6 years old and the nVidia driver version is WHQL 285.77 with Intel HD3000, it'll go into overdrive to GPGPU whenever, she's doing 4K AVC H.264 at 176Mb/sec video bitrate if i remember correctly...

when you saw that my desktop doing GPU HA, the percentage is mostly less than 40%. that's because there is a bottlneck in my system besides PD itself!

read for reference -> Speed rendering tests: nVidia and Skylake GPU with PD14 .

if you happened to spend 1K for mobo, 3K for gpu, 9K for cpu and 1K for memory, then with less system and software bottle neck one might see >40% GPGPU utilization, but is it worth it to the individual???
moreover, funny thing one will notice is that cpu is so fast that one could care less about GPGPU HA then... ^^

once upon a time, i bought a brand spanking new video card with 1MB vram for $100 or more and played EF2000 and Apache day and night... ^^

oh, i got side tracked a bit. whose wife is hot of course yours! ^^

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Oh boy....I am doing a clean install of my brain at the moment in order to process all the information here and linked to here.
My goodness you guys are thorough.
But as I read and absorb ....I will keep an eye on my hot wife. Ha ha !
You guys are amazing. Thank you all.
What you are showing me is that it uses GPU in PD 12, 13, and 14 ? Remember I am not as smart as I look. Regardless when I run that monitor whether it be during playback ( with assorted FX and junk) or
<p style="display: inline !important;">when rendering, the activity is all CPU. That much I can do. Other programs such as Gimp , running a spinning globe logo test allowed me to use the GPU and it showed on GPUZ. So....before I proceed with installing the older driver I have to ask myself. Do you feel lucky today ? Because so far with the new, old, refurb that I souped up significantly, things have been going surprisingly well. Fact is I am afraid to install stuff that I dont know much about. And if I power up and get a blue screen of death or anything else besides my smiling avatar, I will be emotionally unstable for a while. If I have to f2 or f anything else to start up in "safe" mode for instance, I dont feel so safe. Is all this worth it ? I dont know. So who's wife is hot anyway ?
<p style="display: inline !important;">
<p style="display: inline !important;">
Quote Your Nvidia video card driver cannot be later than 337.88 of May 26, 2014..
You can get it here. Bottom of the page.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/videocards-nvidia-geforce-vista-|-7.html

Thank you !!
Quote Yeah I have read what I could find on here but it doesnt seem to be the case with everyone. I am still trying to figure it all out but thanks.

The laptop is about 5 years old with the Quadro k2000m kepler architecture video card. The Nvidia card is not used at all when you created the DxDiag.txt.

See these posts: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45462.page#234767 and this one: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/42357.page . Your Nvidia video card driver cannot be later than 337.88 of May 26, 2014.

It is possible that the nvidia card can be enabled in your computer. The older 337.88 drivers or earlier need to be used. The newer drivers enable the hardware encoding for the newer cards only in PowerDirector. These older posts were created when PD13 was current and Nvidia created newer drivers for their newer architecture video cards. You have the older card.

If installing the older drivers work to enable that Nvidia card on your PowerDirector then please post the results here as it will help others with the same questions.

Good luck with your investigation.

You guys are amazing. I will have time either later tonight or tomorrow to investigate.
The only questions I have before I change any drivers is will it effect anything else that may use the card ? Or if it doesnt fix the issue can I reinstall the driver that I currently have without any issues ? Stupid question probably but I am still learning.
I really cant express the appreciation I have for people like yourselves and this forum.
Quote PD not using an Nvidia GPU has been an ongoing complaint for many years/versions.

Yeah I have read what I could find on here but it doesnt seem to be the case with everyone. I am still trying to figure it all out but thanks.
Not complaining ...ha ha just want to understand if its working the way it should. That screen shot of GPU Z is just during the GPU test. Not while using any other app. when PD runs its is null. Could it be that the cpu is comfortable and there just isnt a need for the GPU ?

It bogs a bit when I push it so I dont really know. Overall a vast improvement over the old m4700 though.
And the last 2 attachments
On my machine I have an intergrated chip set and a dedicated GPU.

It appears that when my GPU should be working it is not. I have tested it using GPU Z and it performs as expected.
Nvidia has a little monitor that shows if there is activity or not and when I do anything with PD activity is NONE. I have created test projects with all sorts of visual effects including 3D like rotating images in title designer. Still NONE when previewing or rendering.
All hardware acceleration is on in PD and in production Intel Quick Sync has been tested in on or off modes with zero change in rendering times.

Customization is not allowed for PD in the Nvidia management tool.

I have never had a machine with a GPU so my expertise level is NONE.

Included are some screen shots that may be helpful as well as a DxDiag
Maybe someone here can enlighten me.

Thank you
Quote ... Is there a way to know for sure ? ...

use TechPowerUp GPU-Z .

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Going to put my results in a new thread......thanks for the help again.
So thats what you call them.....rogue clips. They drove me nutty when I first started editing. I didnt know to hit end though. Thats good advise. I was expanding the timeline and looking for the slivers to emerge.....
Quote Excellent !
I have been a member for a little over a year and never saw these. What a fantastic way to share information from the highly technical perspective to the novice. Thank you and thanks to all that contribute to this awesome resource.

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to respond. It mean a lot to get feedback especially some such as yours. It gives us the enthusiasm to carry on.

Robert

You are providing a valuable source of information in a nice professional format. Free of charge. Not to mention the help you provide on the forums etc.
Ynotfish has helped me on more than one occasion and asks for nothing in return. The absolute least I can do is say thank you.
So...thank you.

Your feedback is valuable to us - spread the good word.

thanks

In this weeks "The Diy Video Editor" newsletter you got mentioned in a very positive fasion as well. Another great resource.

I cant paste the link however from my current mobile device. If you cant locate it I will do it when I am home later.

Thanks Again

I found the link, but I couldn't find the article in question. There's so much to search so would you kindly guide us to the right spot.

Robert

https://diyvideoeditor.com/the-friday-roundup-color-matching-cameras-youtube-updates-and-gimbals/

An Excellent PowerDirector Resource
Yikes! Well you learn something everyday!
Yesterday I was aimlessly scrolling through the User to User Forum for CyberLink PowerDirector and came across this little gem.
Apparently for some time now a few of the guys on the Forum have been putting together a newsletter offering all sorts of video editing industry news as well as tips and tutorials on using PowerDirector.
So if you are a PowerDirector user I would highly recommend going over to the forum (link below) and taking a look at this month’s edition.
You will notice that on the page you can access all past editions of the newsletter.
If you like what you see and want to receive notifications when new editions are posted then just subscribe to the forum page itself and you should get an email sent automatically.
PDNews Issue 8
Go to: