Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I started delving into this just to get smooth editing in HD (1920 x 1080 mp4... Since I am shooting 4k and downsizing the money is worth it to go as high as possible. Is smooth editing and especialy hd possible with the following hardware ?????

Win 10 / I7 5930 intel cpu / 16 gb ram / ssd main and video drives. The 970 nividia does not give smooth playback and the opinion i have formed is this particular card has a bottleneck on the backside of its processing bus.

I will be installing a fresh load and retesting this hardware on a new system drive to try and rule out any other problems.

Thanks
I would buy two 1060 cards if readily available but not for a week and I would like to be doing multicam edits by Monday in at least HD 1920 x 1080.... There are 1070's and 1080gtx cards on the shelf localy so the 1070 is just in reach. Are there any drawbacks to the 1070 or 1080 if I should make the plunge.....

Stipulating that editing means smooth playback and manipulation with minimal titles, effects and transitions in my final cut of a hour and a half HD.

I have seen computers boasting 4k with hour plus edits on comparable machines except for my Bastard nvidia 970...

I7 5930 / 16 gb ram / ssd main and video drives / and soon to be named replacement for my 970....

Thanks
The project I submitted is a tv interview show with three camera's. started by converting all in pd 14 to mp4. (1920 x 1080P ) Had one hd mp4, a mov file ( these two were native 1080P. The third camera was a gh4 uhd 30p file i down converted to 1920 from 3840 mp4 in pd 14. I then ran through magic and it ran in multicam for the approx 9 minutes for a edit and dropped to timeline. Flawles to this point and I ran a second 8 minute segment through magic with same three cameras. Everything has had lagging audio since the second edit attempt.

I have a second project all shot on two gh4. I panned and scanned a eight minute song from a Jazz concert in the park.

(uhd 3820 x ) Then made 4 camera angles in PD14 at 1080p mp4 and added seperate audio and got one pass in multicam before it ceased.

Thinking of getting another ssd and reloading from scratch,,,,, I am able to process more files as the Jazz project is only 5.5 hrs of two camera uhd footage....Warped Humor.

Also considering a nvidia 1060 considering the processing I am doing. That is gpu stuff if I have this straight....

Thanks for the efforts,
Yes and no and I am confused as you are at times... I will give it a go and hopefully someone with more expierience will verify.. and or correct my understanding.

The gpu does the rendering of files. It also helps with the timeline and library playback..

I replaced a very old gpu with a 970 only to find it is a bastard card. I do get better playback but not nearly as good as I expected. Going for a 1060 in a bit. cost effective at this point and even if I don't get help in the edit and or playback side I am processing/rendering a lot and on the verge of wanting to go 4k.

The CPU handles the effects and transitions..

Only done some light titles and transitions so haven't put a strain on the I7 5930 CPU I am running.

Lastly Magic has shown promise and 4k files tested ran smooth. Don't know if a processed 2k file can work on the timeline with regular hd as shadow files are not used on the AVI files Magic creates. You would need to process all the files. The big downside is file size is multiplied by TEN.

Good Luck
Number 2 of screenshots requested
Here are the screen shots... Hopefully I have everything now....

Thanks
The good news is I have another computer to throw the 970 into. Off to get a 1060.... Thanks
didn't see attachment on previous post
Power Director Ultimate 14.0.2820.0 / SR number VDE160415-01

Here is the info requested except for screen shots. Struggling with that possibly due to dual monitor set up but I will keep trying

Thanks
Ran a couple successfull edits and then wham no good. Reloaded sound drivers and no luck.

Sure was nice for a minute. Thought I was off to the races. Any Ideas?

Going back to magic docs. Time line stays in sync for the couple minutes I tested. Library plays flawless also.

Win 10 I7 5930 w/ nvidia 970 and 16 gigs ram PD 14 ultimate
So much for success... Audio no longer in sync in multi cam edits... have reloaded sound drivers with no change. Video plays smooth while audio lags.
Rofl you and my son preach win 7... Had same trouble there. Are u actualy editing smooth 4k or 1080P?

Just ran the magic decompress and multicam ran great for 10 minutes. This is 1080p content. running decompression on another section. will edit shortly. Next test is to send magic files to the antique hard drive... 7200 rpm platter...

Did 4k a few tests back and it was smooth also.. The ten times space and wanting more shots from my two cameras meant bringing down to 1080p.
I am currently adding magic conversions to work flow. Initial test was smooth on 10 minute 4 camera multicam edits. Had to ad another terrabyte drive for space. files are ten times larger so dropping back to hd. (1080P). The conversion in Magic can be done in batches and you have to select the processing file then move to target to see files in process floder.... It adds any files in folders so had to delete project files prior to starting conversion...

I7 5930 with 16 gigs ram .. nvidia970 win 10

i will try putting shadow files back on. I thought it ran better without but possible I got this backwards. current project is 5 hours and the processing is heavy as I make 4 shots from 2 cameras of 4k.
I did a ck on cpu and graphics card specs and they are low. I am not sure that magic will do the trick. What resolution is your projects...
Magic is script that uses a old but powerful decompressor.... It makes a avi at the resolution of the original file that can be 10 times in size.... this is the downside. some of the users here wrote the Magic programto make the process easy to do. It does take time and space though. My slower computer is about 2 to 1 times the original in time to decompress.

The new files are now editable on the time line in power director. I am using versions 13 and 14 without problems. My experieance is only a matter of days old at this point. I am doing 4 4k files in the 8 minute range in multicam with a seperate audio from the mixing board at the event.

Last of all there is a batch processing routine in the instructions that allows processing while you do chores and then get into the editing session later. This can be fournd under the power director 14 page of the forum is a lengthy thread on this program.

I haven't had time to look at your computer strength and I am not knowledgeble when it comes to amd processors. Intel is said to be a better processor for video. I have a third machine with a amd 8 core 3 ghz processor and older graphics i will try in a few days... 16 gb ram is standard on all my machines.

Is your machine a laptop or desktop? A quick search brought up laptops...Amyway hang in there...

Ray
using two gh4 with 14 to 42 and the 42 to 140 i think the second is....... They are handy with the remote start and zoom control. lense quality is good but high fstop. so not so good in low light...

the zoop controll is working decently on the 42 to 140 for around 80 dollars
The short answer is probably no. List what u have to work with. I just installed magic on a quad 4 cpu with a amd fury x graphics card. the couple short tests with 4k played smoothly. I know it is a extra step but it helps immensly. I have since installed magic on my best computer... I7 5790 nvidia 970 and ssd drives. A four camera multicam edit with a mixed audio track plays back well in full hd preview.

good luck

ray
Thanks so much for this add on.... The Multi cam edits are now very close with 4 - 8 minute Jazz videos and console sound to sync in hd preview.

Running I7 5930 with ssd drives and nvidia 970.

Would a 1080 nvidia help smooth out the little it is off?

Ray Mc
Formated the system drive. The multicam play back was out of sync. All is well today after a four hour session.

Best guess is a extended trial of premier corupted audio somehow when I activated it.
The problem I am having is getting mono tracks into stereo configuration with audio director. tracks in general are not limited in standard edit.

multicam editing needs a finished mix. All video is synced to the chosen audio. Live studio cut is dropped to the time line for tweaking before producing edit of the scene or section. Doing a similar project with four camera shots. Will be doing audio in a serperate program and replacing.

Leveling individual audio is a step before the multi cam
edit

Never tried or heard of linking more than a stereo pair to video. Dosen't mean it can not be done.

Have had good expierience with the program using from time to time. Price point is the best bang for the buck
Well when all else fails FORMAT.... ROFL but multicam designer now syncs. Will be buying a additional drive and cloning for the next time a update ruins the editor. Or anything else.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Ray
Go to: