Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Interesting development.

I powered up the PC on which PD365 is installed and AMD said it had a driver updated it wanted to install. Sure, why not.

Well, it worked! PD365 didn't crash.

Not sure why AMD didn't find that driver the first time...unless it decided to download and install the Beta version it was working on. (I had ecided to try the "working" driver before trying the beta. Turns out I shoulda tried the beta first. Who knew.)

I was remote desktop into the machine at the time, but now it seems to be working. When I look at the DXDiag I ran while running RDP It says:
"Card name: Microsoft Remote Display Adapter
Driver Version: 10.0.19041.662"

and below in another section:
"Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6570
Driver Version: 15.301.1901.0"

Maybe starting PD365 in RDP allowed it to get past whatever the cause of the crashing on startup was so that it would run in RDP mode and sitting at the monitor. Who knows.

I am still planning an upgrade as Passmark measures my current systems performance at a staggering 286. Honestly, I don't know how my system even gets out of bed in the morning with a score so low.
Quote Thanks very much for the DxDiag results. If you look at the very end, you'll see that the 3 most recent crashes (WER0-2) were from PD365. There are also several crashes of Edge and one from 7-Zip, and those often indicate problems with Windows system files.

I think you should first run the commands shown in this post as they may be able to identify and correct the kinds of issues I've described.

As for editing with PD365, your system is pretty old and will struggle with any video beyond HD.

The forum consensus is that we like to see CPUs scoring at least 10,000 on the Passmark CPU benchmark, but yours is only 4.5k. You do have the final GPU driver for your Radeon HD 6570, but that was released 5 years ago and the honest truth is that your system will fall further and further behind as apps get updated and require more features and processing power to run.

If at all possible, my suggestion is to look for pretty much any new or used system that's been built within the past couple of years as that will run circles around your current rig. No need to get the latest and greatest of anything, just something with a 10k+ Passmark score and a decent GPU that is supported by PD.

Thank you, Opto.
I'll take a look at the post you referenced and consider a long overdue upgrade!

UPDATE: I ran both commands from the other post. The first said it fixed some files. The second found nothing. (Likely they were fixed by the first.) Regardless, PD365 exhibits the same failure. Guess I'm going shopping!

Cheers!!
John
Thanks in advance for the help everyone. I've seen similar topics, but not quite the same, so I'm posting a new one. I did look at several others, but the solutions didn't help and the problems weren't the same.

I just uninstalled PD 2014 because it was crashing, and decided to install PD365 to become up to date, figuring that would solve my problem. It didn't.

PD365 displays the splash, the storyboard, tries to load the sample videos, and just as they finish, the app crashes and the Report to Cyberlink dislog is displayed.

I renamed the Sample Clips director so they couldn't be loaded. If I select Full or Storyboard, the story board is displayed for a few seconds, then top audio and top video track turn a darker black than they were and darker than the other video/audio lines, then the app crashes.

I have uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled several times but, no joy.

I tried Auto Mode on a WMV file. It ran for a while (not sure how long as I left the room) and when I returned the next morning the Report to Cyberlink dialog was displayed.

Crash occures on Full, Storyboard, Slideshow, and Auto.

There is nothing in the event logs.

I believe I meet exceed the minumum hardware specs. I've attached the dxdiag file for review.

I just tried running PD365 in safe mode and it ran! I was even able to import a video, drop it into the editor and play a bit. So, some service or other piece of software running on startup might be causing a conflict??

Any assistance, clues, pointers, similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

John
Dafydd,
I think between you and Tony we got it licked. I purchased PS10 the other evening, installed it and the checkbox seems to be behaving.

I had done several uninstall/reinstall/reboots and that hadn't cured it but, I think that was because I kept reinstalling the same version. The purchase gave me build 1703, an update over the build I had installed, and that seems to have cured the problem.

Thanks gents!!

John
That's the one!

Whenever the preview screen becomes active it disappears. If I open w/o a project it's there, but as soon as I click a video or photo such that it displays in the preview window, it disappears. It comes back if I do "File -> New Workspace". If I recall, windows displays widgets such as these in layers. My suspicion is that some parameter isn't set correctly to make that checkbox "always on top".

Thanks for your thoughts. I just downloaded the latest. I'll post the results when I get it installed. I may just take your advice so, Cyberlink owes you one.

Just noticed you are down under. Beautiful country! I got to work in Canberra for a few weeks and visited the NASA radio telescope, Tidbinbilla (sorry about the spelling) and the telescope that was nearby (which I understand was lost in the fire a while back), Sydney and the Blue Mountains (Three Sisters), including a night hike to see the sky from one of the viewpoints. Holy cow it was fantastic! All gorgeous! I'll be back someday.

Cheers!
John
Thank you Tony. Agreed.

Odd thing is that I had done 2-3 "reply"'s to the trouble ticket with a a significant amount of debug information (I'm a software engineer) and none of the replies showed up online. Is that normal? I expected a "conversation" with tech support. Not real-time certainly but at least a give and take.

I've been burned by Pinnacle, sticking with them over multiple new versions, always hopeful that the next would be better and it never was. I really liked PD10 but I'm afraid to purchase if something like a checkbox can just disappear from the screen like this. What are your thoughts? I assume you are having a good experience with PD10. Got any advice?

I'd love to try the upgrade that was released during my trial but the upgrade never became available as a trial download. I'm going to try to download it again as it's been a week or more but, I'll bet it says I already exceeded the 30 days. I'm hopeful that an upgrade might overwrite whatever is causing the checkbox problem.

Thanks!
Hmmm.
They closed my ticket without a solution.
30 day trial expired.
I was very happy with the functionality and usability of PD10. Not as happy with the "jaggies" in my rendered DVD, though they did improve slightly when I switch the interlacing from upper to lower (a functionality which I wish could have been applied to all the video at once rather than each clip, one at a time.
Off to try something else for 30 days. Maybe if things improve with PD11 I'll be back.
I'm still a little sore that I provided so much debug information related to case CS001145257 only to have it either not show up at customer service or never get posted, read, acted on. I'm not sure what happened but there was a definite disconnect.
Quote: It may be a Trial limitation...as not all features available in trial version..
Jim

I thought of that too James but, the titling worked in another project even without the checkbox being available and Tech Support didn't mention any limitation, just that I should download the latest version, which I already had at the time the suggestion was made. It doesn't make any sense that a checkbox to disable something would be something not included in a trial version.

Good suggestion though, that was my first thought. That and that maybe I had too many title screens and had exceeded some kind of trial maximum on title screens. I discounted the latter as the box even disappears if one of the canned photos or videos which comes with PD10 are selected.

Anytime the preview screen displays an image, the check box disappears. The checkbox will reappear if I perform FILE->New Workspace.

My thinking is that the enable checkbox just doesn't have the right options set in the application and something is being displayed overtop of it. No other widgets are affected.

Has anyone else experienced the disappearance of the enable/disable checkbox for the titling track in Power Director 10, build 1424c?

When PD10 is started the checkbox is displayed.
When anything "activates" the Preview window (i.e. image or photo is displayed in the Preview window) the enable/disable track checkbox for titling disappears.

Is there a keystroke by which I can enable the titling track without the checkbox widget being available? I have a project I'd like to finish before my trial expires.

Update Build 1703 is not yet available as a trial version so I can't determine if that version fixes this problem.

Thanks!

John
Go to: