Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Have already received good advice on this forum to create a custom file format that allows 24 fps playback on Apple TV Version 1. However, the resulting movie plays back jerkily. See earlier thread extract below:

I'm guessing that the original 8mm cine I'm editing that was converted to digital is developing harmonics with the original frame rate of the cine camera when played back at 24 fps(the only frame rate that works on Apple TV Version 1. Version 2 is apparently the more common 30 fps). Can you think of any way around this either when I produce the movie, or when I edit the media?

For example, in the custom profile settings, I have the option of changing stuff like Entropy coding and Rate control (mode, Average bitrate, Maximum bitrate) and Advanced (speed quality indicator), as well as whether I use deblocking or not. Is there a tweak to the profile settings you can recommend. >>

>>This is tricky and will require some experimentation. I shouldn't think the Entropy Encoding setting will make a difference but I would try changing the Frame Type from Progressive to Top field first using Main Profile. If this doesn't work try with Deblocking turned off.

I don't want to do lots of experimentation, which takes hours each time, if there's an expert out there who can tell me what to change to smooth out the Apple TV playback (by the way, it's smooth when played in itunes on a PC).
Thanks Kevin. Unfortunately, experimentation takes many hours, so I'm going to start a new thread to see if those PD gods can home in on the setting I need to change.

Many thanks again for all your help.

By the way, I'm sticking to ATV 1 for the moment because once synced, I don't have to reply on both an ATV and an itunes PC working perfectly for music etc to play. I've had plenty of experience of hardware failing for one reason or another.
Making great progress! Thanks Kevin. Have successfully produced an Apple TV 1 movie from PD9 (despite Cyberlink helpdesk saying it can't be done). But..... it's jerky. I'm guessing that the original 8mm cine I'm editing that was converted to digital is developing harmonics with the original frame rate of the cine camera when played back at 24 fps. Can you think of any way around this either when I produce the movie, or when I edit the media?

For example, in the custom profile settings, I have the option of changing stuff like Entropy coding and Rate control (mode, Average bitrate, Maximum bitrate) and Advanced (speed quality indicator), as well as whether I use deblocking or not. Now clearly this is all total bollocks to me, but to a PD god like you, I'm sure there's a tweak you can recommend.

Ta
Woohoo!

Bios updated, Video driver updated, PD9 working again! Now all I have to do is produce an Apple TV 1 compatible movie and heaven will have been reached.

Thanks all.
Thanks for your help Cap'n.

Attached is file as requested. I won't fart about with driver until you tell me the one I'm using is causing the hang on startup prob.

ta
FAQ recommends going to http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx to update driver (even though laptop drivers automatically updated by W7 and confirm 'all up to date')

Have Dell XPS M1330: Nvidia page says: If you own a Dell Inspiron 1420, Dell XPS M1330, Dell XPS M1530, or Dell Latitude D630/D630c it is highly recommended that you first install this Dell software update (http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/recommended_software_updates_uk.html).... which doesn't exist

Help! Update driver vs Don't update ('cos PC says its already up-to-date). Dell's own support section for my laptop equally unhelpful / dangerous to guess.

and in the meantime, I can't get PD9 to run unless I do a hard reboot each time.
So which setting do I use to produce direct from PD9? ipad profile is 30 fps
Nope - Apple TV V1 doesn't like ipad format....

In fact intriguingly (actually I mean balls-achingly annoyingly) when I select the movie which I produced as ipad format and saved in itunes and then waited the inevitable hour for it create an Apple TV version (there is an option to do this in Advanced), I get all the sound and no picture at all. The original plays fine in itunes however.

How I hate all this compatibility bollocks.
I will try it, but suspect there will be a difference due to the vastly different screen sizes. I'm also sceptical having just received an official reply from Cyberlink:

I understand that you are using CyberLink PowerDirector 9 and you want to save a project in the format which is compatible with Apple.

I regret to inform you that there is no any way in which you can save project compatible with Apple.

I regret for the inconvenience.

So I guess I have to go the long route that I have always taken in the past... produce in one format, and then use a conversion tool (like emicsoft) to convert to Apple TV (goodbye another 2 hours).

I suppose Apple is not a common format to worry about these days..... (sorry - grumpy British humour)
When I select Apple as a preset device, I am only offered ipod or ipad. What format do I select for Apple TV (1) to play a movie created by Powerdirector 9?
Go to: