Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Walk through wall effect in PD
Heavytiger [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jun 21, 2008 10:16 Messages: 474 Offline
[Post New]
I can't quite figure out how to do the walk through wall effect in PD. I watched a tutorial on Youtube how to do it in After Effects but don't know if it can be done in PD. I was able to do it with video taken perpendicular to the person walking through the wall using a vertical mask. But when the person is walking toward the camera lens it is more difficult to achieve this effect.

The tutorial I watched was called: How to walk through a wall in After Effects. June 4, 2017

thanks Windows 10 professional
HP Omen Obelisk DT 875-1131
Intel Core i7(3.6GHz)
Eight Core
Memory 32 GB
GPU Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super
Power supply 750 Watt

Using PD 11 ultimate build 11.0.03026

Heavytiger

StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Well, there is no Roto Brush in PowerDirector, as there is in After Effects. But there are a number of ways to do this effect, depending on how much work you want to put into it.

You could simply cross-dissolve from the video clip of the wall to the video clip of the man in front of the wall. That's a simple way to do it. Other transitions will make him appear in more interesting ways.

More high-level effects would involve using animated masks to reveal him one appendage at a time. But, again, that depends on how much work you want to put into it. If you just want to have the man appear to dissolve through the wall or appear magically, a simple cross-dissolve or transition will do.
Heavytiger [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jun 21, 2008 10:16 Messages: 474 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Well, there is no Roto Brush in PowerDirector, as there is in After Effects. But there are a number of ways to do this effect, depending on how much work you want to put into it.

You could simply cross-dissolve from the video clip of the wall to the video clip of the man in front of the wall. That's a simple way to do it. Other transitions will make him appear in more interesting ways.

More high-level effects would involve using animated masks to reveal him one appendage at a time. But, again, that depends on how much work you want to put into it. If you just want to have the man appear to dissolve through the wall or appear magically, a simple cross-dissolve or transition will do.

Thanks, Steve.

Are there any video tutorials on how to do animated masks?

Are you the author of The Muvipox guide to Cyberlink PowerDirector 20? If so I just bought your book. Windows 10 professional
HP Omen Obelisk DT 875-1131
Intel Core i7(3.6GHz)
Eight Core
Memory 32 GB
GPU Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super
Power supply 750 Watt

Using PD 11 ultimate build 11.0.03026

Heavytiger

StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for buying the book, Heavytiger!

But sorry, I'm not aware of a tutorial on animating masks to recommend.