Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is It Me, Or Is the CROP Function in 365 a Disaster?
keglined [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 12, 2013 15:39 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
What did you guys do to the Crop function? Seems to me it's lost many of its better features and now the user is much more restricted in what s/he can do with it.

I'm specifically talking about the crop area around a clip/movie.

In previous versions of PowerDirector, the user could double-click a clip to open it for editing, drag your cursor to your preferred *reference* frame for forming your crop margins, unclick Maintain Aspect Ratio, and then adjust each of the four edges of the frame individually. Voila'! The crop of the entire clip is now where you want it to be!

NOW, doing most of what I just described is impossible. At least, that's the way it's looking to me. Crop is in Tools now for some odd reason, and once you choose it, you can only crop the very first frame of the clip you want to edit. The moment you move your cursor to find that reference frame, your handles for changing the crop are gone.

So you improvise, and cut the clip at the frame you're referencing (wondering why in the world you now have to split the clip, make your adjustments, annotate those specs somewhere so that you can later apply those same dimensions/points to the entire clip), and unlock Maintain Aspect Ratio . . .only to discover the "Free Form" setting is anything but. Both vertical borders move in tandem; there is no individual adjustment. Worse, you are unable to move the crop region as a whole.

Finally, you realize you can kindasorta do these formerly supereasy steps by adjusting the dimensions/points for your * reference frame, and then applying those to the whole thing. I.e., spending several times the effort and duration doing what used to be as simple as a quick mouse swipe or two.

Am I close to describing this right? Are these really this new version's limitations? Because if I'm anywhere close to right, it seems like you guys really messed up a good thing here.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 11. 2022 21:58