Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Method For Retrieving & Continuing With Previously Edited Photos (SAVING & RETRIEIVING)
Barbara Maskell [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2022 15:18 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I have been importing photos to PhotoDirector 365 from an external drive, tagging them and each day backing them up via the PhotoDirector 365 backup feature on my internal hard drive.

I am having a heck of a problem when I have not completed all photos in the folder and then come back the next time to continue working on them.

I am so confused as to how I am suppose to pickup from where I left off. Am I suppose to:

1) Open PhotoDirector 365 and IMPORT the backup folder?

2) Select the backup folder which opens PhotoDirector 365 with the photos automatically loaded?

3) Should I be saving each days work as an ALBUM or PROJECT and then retrieving it and continuing the work?

3) What is the correct way to be doing this?

For some reason I am finding this most frustrating and a huge time waster. Today, again, I tried many different ways to find the edited photos I worked on last time and after 1.5 hours and using method 2 above, only found photos that after all the previous hours spent on them does not have the Facial Tags or other tags saved with them.

What am I missing and doing wrong?

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Mar 14. 2022 16:36

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have been importing photos to PowerDirector 365 from an external drive, tagging them and each day backing them up via the PowerDirector 365 backup feature on my internal hard drive.

I am having a heck of a problem when I have not completed all photos in the folder and then come back the next time to continue working on them.

I am so confused as to how I am suppose to pickup from where I left off. Am I suppose to:

1) Open PowerDirector 365 and IMPORT the backup folder?

2) Select the backup folder which opens PowerDirector 365 with the photos automatically loaded?

3) Should I be saving each days work as an ALBUM and then retrieving it and continuing the work?

3) What is the correct way to be doing this?

For some reason I am finding this most frustrating and a huge time waster. Today, again, I tried many different ways to find the edited photos I worked on last time and after 1.5 hours and using method 2 above, only found photos that after all the previous hours spent on them does not have the Facial Tags or other tags saved with them.

What am I missing and doing wrong?

Hi,
Did you mean to post in the PowerDirector forum? Your other posts have all been to the PhotoDirector forum?

I an going to assume it should be in the PhotoDirector forum move it over. If this is not correct please send a PM and we can move it back again.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Barbara Maskell [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi,
Did you mean to post in the PowerDirector forum? Your other posts have all been to the PhotoDirector forum?

I an going to assume it should be in the PhotoDirector forum move it over. If this is not correct please send a PM and we can move it back again.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

I apologize!!!! Yes. I am so sorry. Thank you.
[Post New]
Hello Barbara,

Perhaps working with PhD isn't as difficult as you think.

When you are working on a PhD project, any adjustments you make are saved in the project file withing the project folder. You don't have to "save" the changes as you would in (say) a Word document. All details of the project are recorded in the .phd file & the various project subfolders. Let's say it's like Autosave, on the fly.

That PhD file can, if you have the urge, be opened with Notepad & you'll see how PhD records the project details. If you're a little technically challenged , like me, you'll look at it & wonder why you bothered! undecided I've attached a text version of PIX Project for your reading pleasure (?).

In answer to your questions, you don't really need to do any of those things. You definitely don't "import the backup folder" & I'd suggest you forget about 2. & 3. If you simply open PhD, it will open the most recent project & all your previously set tags & adjustments should be there. Should. If they're not, please report it here & we can investigate what might have gone wrong.

We're happy to help further, if that hasn't cleared things up for you.

PIX
 Filename
PIX Project - phd file opened in Notepad.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1880 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
89 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
Barbara Maskell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello Barbara,

Perhaps working with PhD isn't as difficult as you think.

When you are working on a PhD project, any adjustments you make are saved in the project file withing the project folder. You don't have to "save" the changes as you would in (say) a Word document. All details of the project are recorded in the .phd file & the various project subfolders. Let's say it's like Autosave, on the fly.

That PhD file can, if you have the urge, be opened with Notepad & you'll see how PhD records the project details. If you're a little technically challenged , like me, you'll look at it & wonder why you bothered! undecided I've attached a text version of PIX Project for your reading pleasure (?).

In answer to your questions, you don't really need to do any of those things. You definitely don't "import the backup folder" & I'd suggest you forget about 2. & 3. If you simply open PhD, it will open the most recent project & all your previously set tags & adjustments should be there. Should. If they're not, please report it here & we can investigate what might have gone wrong.

We're happy to help further, if that hasn't cleared things up for you.

PIX
Barbara Maskell [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thank you so much for your help. I am used to working with other types of "files" so your answer have made things clearer for me. I appreciate you taking the time and providing the information.

New Questions:

Once I have completed working on an initial batch of photos and then want to move on to another batch.

• What do I do with the first batch? (Sorry, if this is a little repetitive to my initial inquiry.) I understand the changes are auto saved in the .phd file but

• If I import a second batch of photos will they be addded to the original .phd file along with the first batch or will another .phd file be created?

• How would a Project and Album each be used? My mind is fuzzy on the difference.