Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Has anyone tried NVIDIA AI Video Denoising?
killertomato [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 28, 2018 22:23 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
I currently have a Ryzen 5800x and an RX 570 8GB.

I have the opportunity to pickup an RTX 2060 6GB which would give me access to NVIDIA's AI enhancements and encoding chip.

My question is.. has anyone tried denoising a video with it in Powerdirector?
How would I access that option (if I install the card..)?

Right now it takes about an hour to denoise 6 minutes of 4K footage, so longer videos are an all night job using the default denoiser in Powerdirector. Is the NVIDIA AI denoise significantly faster? Approximately what %?

Sorry for the all the Q's, Cyberlink's press release just says this feature exists for some Nvidia cards and I have no idea how to assess if it's worth shelling out $500 for a card that will really only give me this one benefit (which is huge because I use it a lot.) If it's in the range of 10-20% faster big whoop, but if it's significantly faster I'll for sure do it.

Sidenote, any other useful features that will come with moving to the 2060? I know an 8GB+ card would be ideal but availablity is scarce and the prices are extortionate at the moment.

Thanks!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It might help to have access to the same clip and project settings you used for your test. Use Pack Project Materials from the File menu and save everything to a OneDrive or Google Drive folder and paste a publicly shareable link here. See this FAQ for more details.

I'd be happy to run the same test on my system and post the performance results.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
killertomato [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It might help to have access to the same clip and project settings you used for your test. Use Pack Project Materials from the File menu and save everything to a OneDrive or Google Drive folder and paste a publicly shareable link here. See this FAQ for more details.

I'd be happy to run the same test on my system and post the performance results.

The following clip takes about 35 minutes (CPU rendered, fast rendering not enabled as it makes no diff) on my 5800x. Powerdirector denoise level set to 60. Bitrate & FPS unchanged so they match the original.

What I would like to know is the Nvidia denoiser a) faster and b) any better? I'd just like to know the relative difference between the default PD denoiser and the new Nvidia denoiser within on another system and can extrapolate from there if it's worth it as there is zero info online about these new feature Cyberlink is boasting and it's potentially hugely valuable to me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IJqXQOJ2CDKfOz-IwkpYdgboUz812wj_/view?usp=sharing

It's a quick video I shot last night but should prove to be a good test for the denoising capabilities.

If you don't have that kind of time you could just trim it down to 30 seconds or so and share the results as it would all be relative.

Thank you!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 01. 2022 14:28

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the clip and the settings you used. I set the Cyberlink Video Denoise setting to 60 like this:

Then I produced to the Best Matched Format. The CPU usage was around 50%, the RTX2070's usage was betwen 5% and 10% and producing took 30m 40s.

When I switched to NVIDIA Noise removal, PD downloaded and installed the components but there are only two options, weak and strong:

Producing with the strong or the weak setting to the same profile each took only 1m 1s!!! CPU usage was 5% and the GPU was at 95%, so there is a 30x time saving benefit to getting the newer nVidia GPU!

I don't see a huge difference in the quality of the video denoise so I've uploaded all 3 produced clips to this OneDrive folder. I'm lucky to have a fiber 1Gbps up/down connection so they're already available for downloading 👍

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 01. 2022 15:54

killertomato [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you, that is hugely valuable information.
I will proceed with the 2060 for this feature alone!

Quote Thanks for the clip and the settings you used. I set the Cyberlink Video Denoise setting to 60 like this:

Then I produced to the Best Matched Format. The CPU usage was around 50%, the RTX2070's usage was betwen 5% and 10% and producing took 30m 40s.

When I switched to NVIDIA Noise removal, PD downloaded and installed the components but there are only two options, weak and strong:

Producing with the strong or the weak setting to the same profile each took only 1m 1s!!! CPU usage was 5% and the GPU was at 95%, so there is a 30x time saving benefit to getting the newer nVidia GPU!

I don't see a huge difference in the quality of the video denoise so I've uploaded all 3 produced clips to this OneDrive folder. I'm lucky to have a fiber 1Gbps up/down connection so they're already available for downloading 👍
[Post New]
I have tried that file on my system (RTX3080Ti) and it yield 56 sec.

The 3D usage (CUDA cores) during this was minimal, like 3%.
The NVENC showed Decoding 4K at 98% usage and Encoding in H265 was at 40% usage. I think that was the bottleneck.

PS: That's a nice feature, I saw indeed the same "download and install component" before first usage.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 02. 2022 09:28