Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SOME individual video clips do not play in the final product if they have color presets
BabaLuchiNYC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 09, 2020 23:03 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have about 15 individual video clips in my timeline. Some of them have color presets from Fix/Enhance while others have effects from the FX tab. The ones that have the FX effects play fine in the final produced video. SOME of the clips that have color presets however do not play and just a black screen plays until the next playable clips plays. As an example:

Let's say I have in my timeline video clips 1-15. Clips 1-5 have color presets only and 6-10 have FX effects only, and 11-15 have color presets only. After I produce the video into an mp4 and play it, clips 2 and 5 do not play at all, instead a black screen plays in their place, even though all 5 clips (1-5) have the same color preset and all 5 clips were recorded using the same iPhone and were all shot 4k 60fps. Clip 12 and 14 also do not play but 11, 13, and 15 do yet all 5 of them have the same exact preset.

As a test, I removed the presets from the clips that were not playing, produced the video again and they played fine. I put the presets back, produced the video again and they did not play. Why is this happening to only some of the clips when all the clips that have color presets have the same exact preset and some do play in the final product while others do not?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have about 15 individual video clips in my timeline. Some of them have color presets from Fix/Enhance while others have effects from the FX tab. The ones that have the FX effects play fine in the final produced video. SOME of the clips that have color presets however do not play and just a black screen plays until the next playable clips plays. As an example:

Let's say I have in my timeline video clips 1-15. Clips 1-5 have color presets only and 6-10 have FX effects only, and 11-15 have color presets only. After I produce the video into an mp4 and play it, clips 2 and 5 do not play at all, instead a black screen plays in their place, even though all 5 clips (1-5) have the same color preset and all 5 clips were recorded using the same iPhone and were all shot 4k 60fps. Clip 12 and 14 also do not play but 11, 13, and 15 do yet all 5 of them have the same exact preset.

As a test, I removed the presets from the clips that were not playing, produced the video again and they played fine. I put the presets back, produced the video again and they did not play. Why is this happening to only some of the clips when all the clips that have color presets have the same exact preset and some do play in the final product while others do not?

As a simple evaluation tests, I'd probably make sure nothing is selected in pref > Hardware Acceleration and nothing selected on the "Produce" page in the "Fast video rendering technology:" area and see if you have any better luck after viewing a newly produced mp4.

Jeff
BabaLuchiNYC [Avatar]
[Post New]
None of those were selected.

I just tried something on a whim and found a fix but it would be so cumbersome that it is impractical. I took one of the video clips that doesn't play and added it to a new project. I then produced it. Just that one small video clip. I then took the produced clip and added it to my original project in the place of the original clip that does not play. I then produced the entire project and the clip played, with color preset and all. In order for this to work though, I would need to produce every single clip in my timeline that doesn't play, individually, and then add it to my timeline exactly as I originally had them. That is way too cumbersome.

Another thing I realized is that I was mistaken in my original post. The clips in my project were recorded from three different sources, not all from my iPhone 13 Pro Max like I originally posted. I used an old iPhone 8 and a DJI Osmo Pocket as well. The clips recorded with those two devices played fine. It was the clips that were recorded with my iPhone 13 Pro Max, for which I added color presets, that did not play.

This realization and suprise fix leads me to believe that it might be some kind of a codec issue.

I should not have to produce each and every iPhone 13 Pro Max clip individually and then add it to my original project to make it work. There has to be some other way.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote None of those were selected.

I just tried something on a whim and found a fix but it would be so cumbersome that it is impractical. I took one of the video clips that doesn't play and added it to a new project. I then produced it. Just that one small video clip. I then took the produced clip and added it to my original project in the place of the original clip that does not play. I then produced the entire project and the clip played, with color preset and all. In order for this to work though, I would need to produce every single clip in my timeline that doesn't play, individually, and then add it to my timeline exactly as I originally had them. That is way too cumbersome.

Another thing I realized is that I was mistaken in my original post. The clips in my project were recorded from three different sources, not all from my iPhone 13 Pro Max like I originally posted. I used an old iPhone 8 and a DJI Osmo Pocket as well. The clips recorded with those two devices played fine. It was the clips that were recorded with my iPhone 13 Pro Max, for which I added color presets, that did not play.

This realization and suprise fix leads me to believe that it might be some kind of a codec issue.

I should not have to produce each and every iPhone 13 Pro Max clip individually and then add it to my original project to make it work. There has to be some other way.

My guess would be the highly variable frame rate which often occurs with cell phone video. Often one has to convert to constant fps with like HandBrake or at times PD will work with nothing else in the timeline for a convertor. Use these produced clips as source video in timeline for adjustments.

Jeff
BabaLuchiNYC [Avatar]
[Post New]
I downloaded Handbrake and had to convert all of the videos and finally everything works and looks great. Luckily Handbrake has a batch conversion option! Thank you very much for the recommendation, it worked!