Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Final Video Quality
Neil S. [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 24, 2017 22:12 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I've asked Cyberlink some questions regarding the quality of disks with using different Production and Disk settings, but can't get a clear answer. My example is as follows:

- Original video files are AVI (less than 720x480 resolution)
- I "Produce" at H.264>>AVC>>4k 4096x2160/30p
- I create 2D disks using the following two options: 1) DVD\HQ 720x480/60i and 2) AVCHD\H.264\HD 1920x1080/60i

My question is will there be any improvement in video quality between the two disks (DVD vs AVCH) given I'm using low resolution original video files? Appreciate any feedback on what you may have experienced. Thanks.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've asked Cyberlink some questions regarding the quality of disks with using different Production and Disk settings, but can't get a clear answer. My example is as follows:

- Original video files are AVI (less than 720x480 resolution)
- I "Produce" at H.264>>AVC>>4k 4096x2160/30p
- I create 2D disks using the following two options: 1) DVD\HQ 720x480/60i and 2) AVCHD\H.264\HD 1920x1080/60i

My question is will there be any improvement in video quality between the two disks (DVD vs AVCH) given I'm using low resolution original video files? Appreciate any feedback on what you may have experienced. Thanks.

Saying source is AVI files does not mean too much, for all I know they could be uncompressed AVI in a smaller than 720x480 frame. Best result is for you to simply create a DVD and a AVCHD disc and compare with your own eyes and playback equipment.

It's also unclear what you are doing with your "Produced" video stream.

Jeff
Neil S. [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 24, 2017 22:12 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

Saying source is AVI files does not mean too much, for all I know they could be uncompressed AVI in a smaller than 720x480 frame. Best result is for you to simply create a DVD and a AVCHD disc and compare with your own eyes and playback equipment.

It's also unclear what you are doing with your "Produced" video stream.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I've actually created both DVD and AVCHD discs and did not notice any appreciable difference in video quality when I played them on my Blu-ray player, which is why I posed the question. Cyberlinks latest response is below in bold. So from their response, I'm gathering if I burn a Blu-ray disc, the quality should be better than the DVD disc.

With reference to your concern, we would like to inform you that PowerDirector follows the industrial standard to create a DVD, which has the limitation of resolution (720*480 or 720*586). You may consider to create Blu-ray disc, which supports higher resolution and better quality.