Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Magic Motion Designer question
[Post New]
PD 17.0.5003.0

Whenever I go to Magic Motion Designer the aspect ration is set to "Freeform". I have to remember to set it to "16:9" before setting any keyframes. If i forget and set keyframes first, they are erased when selecting "16:9". This is really a bother. Is there a setting somewhere to set this to default to "16:9"?

Thanks! Previously known as PDuser97031 (had to create a new user after changing email address)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There aren't any settings to change, as the default ratio is the image's actual AR unless you've previously used a Pan & Zoom effect. At that point the project's AR is applied.

For example, if I place one of the 16:9 sample images in a 16:9 project then click Tools > Pan & Zoom, no matter which style I use, the Motion Designer opens with 16:9 selected.

If I change the project's AR to 4:3, doing the same steps and selecting any style except User Defined results in the clip being cropped to 4:3 and the Motion Designer opens with 4:3 selected. The only time that doesn't happen is if I choose User Defined the first time when working with this clip, and then the clip retains its 16:9 AR and the MD's AR matches that.

You could be seeing Freeform selected if you're working with clips with a non-PD-standard AR, like 21:9 or 5:4. Is that the case? Also, once you've applied any keyframes in Freeform mode, MD should open with that AR selected. If you've previously applioed any 16:9 keyframes, opening that clip in the MD again should always have 16:9 selected.

Although there is a Reset option in the Pan & Zoom window, it may be better to delete the timeline clip and drag a fresh copy to the timeline from the media library if the MD doesn't automatically choose the correct AR setting after you've made any previous Pan & Zoom edits.