Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sharpening old photos
Tereza17 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 11, 2021 14:56 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi I have been asked to scan four old photos for someone making a history of their house. The photos are very old, so I am using an Epson scanner at 600dpi to scan them into a tiff format.

I have Photo Editor but have only just started photo editing so am on a bit of a learning curve!

Ideally, I would like to try and sharpen a couple of the images if that is possible and assume that I might be able to do that in PhotoDirector but can't seem to find any information, tutorials, you tube videos on how to do it with photographs.

I have been playing around, but not very successfully at the moment. So could anyone please point me in the direction of some information, tutorial or youtube that could help or advise me on what I need to do to try and sharpen the images, thanks.

Any help would be appreciated.
kylebrooks [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 21, 2023 12:57 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
You can try the adobe lightroom. It is top rated photo and video editor. It's very easy to use and begineer friendly editing app. You can sharpen the image as per your requirement.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 26. 2023 12:49

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
There may be nothing you can do. Pros can do the job like that mentioned by kylebrooks. Here is an article on using the Deblur tool in PhotoDirector: https://www.cyberlink.com/blog/photo-effects/585/how-to-unblur-images#:~:text=Download%20PhotoDirector%20below%20and%20follow%20these%20simple%20steps,and%20decide%20where%20you%20want%20it%20stored.%20 . It may help get you started.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You can try the adobe lightroom. It is top rated photo and video editor. It's very easy to use and begineer friendly editing app. You can sharpen the image as per your requirement.

If you are talking about the color, dehazing, filter applying, and related adjustment results, and the software performance, I totally agree that the quality that adobe lightroom does is the top rated one among pros and amateur users.

But, I don't think the operation in adobe software is clearly "easier" than cyberlink photodirector or other competitors in every perspective. The learning curve exists in every tool.

And, most of the color adjustment options are not rocket science and those items are available and pretty basic for every Adobe Lightroom-like editors.
-----

For OP's concern to sharpen photos, you can try the Dehaze, sharpness, auto color enhancements options in the adjustment room, or AI denoise and AI deblur tools in the Guided room.

As the OP used scanner to digitize old photos, I believe the pixel resolution of the scanned image is already very large, the AI enlarge photo feature (that supports in photodirector subscription version) might not be a good option for OP.

See which features can help you get a better result. But, I'm afraid you really cannot do much on a scanned image source. There are too many restrictions of the image scanning nature that you cannot tackle down easily.