Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Thinking of moving from Lightroom (and Photoshop)
CliveHello [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 15, 2021 13:27 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hello.
I have the subscription for Lightroom (it includes Photoshop but I've never had chance/ability to learn to use it) and was thinking about moving across to Cyberlink's PhotoDirector. Does anyone know of the main differences between Lightroom and Photoshop and what PhotoDirector has to offer? Are there any major things that the Adobe apps have - that PhotoDirector is missing? I am mainly a hobbyist and want similar to what Lightroom does and also some of the Photoshop functions but simpler!

Oh, yes, and how does PhotoDirector handle Fuji files - as Lightroom notoriously doesn't handle them so well ('artifacts, worms...' on close up), but is getting better? Maybe that's a seperate question

I hope all that makes sense. Background is that I have recently subscribed to PowerDirector365 for video editing and wonder about upgrading to Director Suite to include PhotoDirector.

Thanks in advance, Clive
[Post New]
Hello Clive,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

I should first disclose to you that I use both, also subscribing to the Adobe Photography plan. I wouldn't consider myself expert enough in Lr & Ps to offer a valid comparison though, of course, Ps is a completely different "kettle of fish" & ought not to be compared to PhD in any case. PhotoDirector is essentially designed for photo management & editing & is not a "competitor" to Ps. PhD & Lr are more closely aligned.

I'm not sure whether your Adobe plan includes Photoshop Express (plenty of instant effects etc) but, to me, PhotoDirector is like Lr & Ps Express combined, & then some(!).

There are plenty of head-to-head comparisons available to read & I imagine you may have already explored some of those. There's always so much to consider... cost, ease of use, features, support etc. The most important is how well the software matches your needs.

Are there any major things that the Adobe apps have - that PhotoDirector is missing?

Not from my perspective, but the answer greatly depends on what you need. There are parts of Lr I've never used & features in PhD I (personally) have no use for, some my view would be of limited value.

If cost is a significant consideration, a DirectorSuite subscribtion (PDR, PhD, ADR & CDR) costs less than my current Adobe Photography plan (Lr, Ps & PsExpress) at the current 25% discount.

The best thing would be to trial a DS subscription & make your own assessment.

There's plenty of help available both here in the forum & through the CyberLink Learning Center.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
CliveHello [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Pix
Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. I completely understand what you say about it depending on one's needs. I guess I am looking for something like Photoshop Express - which I think as a honed simplified versions of Photoshop (as well as Lightroom). I think!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 21. 2021 19:05

CliveHello [Avatar]
[Post New]
Another related question if that's ok.
With lightroom I have a large lightroom catalogue. Is there a way for PhD to 'recognise' the Lr catalogue of edits. Also will PhD maintain the metadata created in Lightroom, like date, tags, keywords, title, caption etc?