Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
GPS Information Lost, probably when project exported
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good morning,

When I was first setting up PhotoDirector I checked if the GPS information stored in my photos was coming through to PhotoDirector (it was).

I then had a need to move my project, so exported the project to a new location on my PC. When exporting, I checked the second two boxes, but did not include the original source files.

I have now found that PhotoDirector has lost all my GPS information, see the two attachments showing photo IMG_1172.jpg. I have added a photo to the project since the export, which displays the GPS information correctly (attachment showing photo IMG_1302.jpg). So it looks like all the GPS information was lost during the export.

1. Is this a bug?

2. Is there any way that I can "refresh" the new project to re-read the GPS information?

Many thanks
[Thumb - SourceFileShowingGPSinWindowsProperties.png]
 Filename
SourceFileShowingGPSinWindowsProperties.png
[Disk]
 Description
Source Photo
 Filesize
120 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Thumb - PhotoExported-NoGPS.png]
 Filename
PhotoExported-NoGPS.png
[Disk]
 Description
No GPS in PhotoDirector (Exported project)
 Filesize
789 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Post New]
Hello MG365,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

Before investigating fully, could you clarify. Did you export the project or export the photo?

Ah. I've just replicated what you've reported when exporting a project. It's odd because when you right click on the photo in PhD & select "Locate on Disk", then check the properties, the GPS data is still embedded. YET it doesn't show up in the exported project as it had done prior to export.

I'll check further with a variety of photos containing GPS data then report this to CL.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for that.

I don't suppose you would have any suggestions about how I can get the GPS data back onto my photos in Photodirector? I have done a few tests, and so far the only option I can see is deleting everything from Photodirector and reimporting. But I will then lose some of the work I have done in PhotoDirector.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
If you still have the original project, try exporting it again but this time check the option to include the original photos. You'll have duplicates in the new location but they should retain the GPS EXIF data.
[Post New]
Hello again MG365 & hi to optodata,

Your suggestion sounds perfectly sensible, optodata, but that's exactly what I did when I was first (& subsequently) checking MG365's issue.

Yes, duplicate copies of each photo were exported to the new project folder.
Yes, the photos retained their GPS data (viewed in Properties),
but NO, the exported project did NOT display the GPS data in PhD.

For testing, I've uploaded two small projects to illustrate. Here's the original project (zipped) & here's the exported project (which is also zipped). Yes, all options were check in the project export window.

It's quite a perplexing issue to me, particularly as the GPS data is present in the exported photos.

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 15. 2021 02:42

PIX YouTube channel
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your help PIX. It sure looks like a bug to me.

Presumably during an export there are lines of programming code that describe the data that should be exported. My understanding is that the GPS functionally is fairly new, and maybe someone neglected to add this new GPS data to the export program?