Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How convert text layer to image
Milocat [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 09, 2021 19:48 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
After struggling for 2 hours to figure out why I can't merge layers, I finally figured out that I have to convert the text layers to images. So it works for 6 text layers but doesn't work for 2 of them. How do I convert ALL text layers to images, so I can merge layers and produce a photo, in Photodirector 12? Thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 11. 2021 01:02

[Post New]
Hello Milocat,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

It's a little unclear to me what you're trying to do. Perhaps if you could share some screenshots, your needs might become clearer.

I assume you're working with layers in the Edit module of PhD. There you can add text layers to a photo, then Save/Share to flatten the layers into a single image. As far as I understand what you're trying to do, there is no need to "convert the text layers to images"

I just 8 separate text layers to a layer project (see attached screenshot), then saved it as a single photo in .jpeg format.

Some screenshots would help clarify.

PIX
[Thumb - PhD_Layers Text.jpg]
 Filename
PhD_Layers Text.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
298 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
Milocat [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello Milocat,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

It's a little unclear to me what you're trying to do. Perhaps if you could share some screenshots, your needs might become clearer.

I assume you're working with layers in the Edit module of PhD. There you can add text layers to a photo, then Save/Share to flatten the layers into a single image. As far as I understand what you're trying to do, there is no need to "convert the text layers to images"

I just 8 separate text layers to a layer project (see attached screenshot), then saved it as a single photo in .jpeg format.

Some screenshots would help clarify.

PIX

Yes, I'm in edit mode. Here's a screenshot of my layers, then I save as a new photo file, then a screenshot of the photo, without the text layers. I get the same result if I try to merge layers. If I turn MOST of the text layers into images, they show up. thx.

Milo
[Thumb - layers.jpg]
 Filename
layers.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
224 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
[Thumb - Example of photo.jpg]
 Filename
Example of photo.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
69 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Post New]
Hello again Milo,

Yes, I see what you mean.

Your layout is far more complex than my earlier test, but when I right click & choose either "Merge" or "Convert to Image" I get the expected outcome.

If possible, could you please save your Layers project as an Express Template & share it on DirectorZone using your regular CyberLink login details?

Once it's uploaded, & you've shared the link here, I'll be able to open it in my PhD & check what might be causing the issue.

For example, here's the Owl one I made earlier. You can delete it from DZ after we're done if you wish.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Milocat [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello again Milo,

Yes, I see what you mean.

Your layout is far more complex than my earlier test, but when I right click & choose either "Merge" or "Convert to Image" I get the expected outcome.

If possible, could you please save your Layers project as an Express Template & share it on DirectorZone using your regular CyberLink login details?

Once it's uploaded, & you've shared the link here, I'll be able to open it in my PhD & check what might be causing the issue.

For example, here's the Owl one I made earlier. You can delete it from DZ after we're done if you wish.

PIX

Thanks so much for sticking with me. Here's the link: https://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/178252687

-Milo
Milocat [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks so much for sticking with me. Here's the link: https://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/178252687

-Milo

Well, I finally got all the text layers to convert to images. One of the problems was that my font was too big. It barfed on 380 but accepted 370. Go figure. I'd still like to know why I could not merge text layers. Thx. Milo
[Post New]
Hello again,

I'm pleased you've been able to resolve the issue

For some reason, the Express Layers Template you uploaded to DZ seems to be missing some elements (e.g. the box frame around the trail information table).

As you can see in this unlisted screen capture, PhD has no issues either Merging Layers or Saving as a photo file.

On a side note, I probably wouldn't have used PhD for such a project when Word (for example) could easily accomplish such a task. But you've shown it can be done, so good for you!

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Milocat [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello again,

I'm pleased you've been able to resolve the issue

For some reason, the Express Layers Template you uploaded to DZ seems to be missing some elements (e.g. the box frame around the trail information table).

As you can see in this unlisted screen capture, PhD has no issues either Merging Layers or Saving as a photo file.

On a side note, I probably wouldn't have used PhD for such a project when Word (for example) could easily accomplish such a task. But you've shown it can be done, so good for you!

PIX

Well, thanks! So now I know it works on your system, so it SHOULD work on my system.

I need to hand a file to someone and it has to cover 36" by 48". I mocked it up in PowerPoint and I would have LOVED to use Word, but my version seems to end at 22" x 22". In the old days, I would have used Photoshop, back when you could buy it. In fact, the only way I got this to work was to create a blank 36x48" file in old Photoshop and import it to Photodirector. I probably spent 5 hours on this, when doing the mockup in PPT took me less than an hour. I only do something like this about every 5 years, or I'd have a real illustration package.

Again, thanks for your help!

Milo
[Post New]
I understand where you're coming from "laughing"

For future reference, in PhD > Edit you can select "Create Empty Project" and set up the page size you wish.

""

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Milocat [Avatar]
[Post New]
Very interesting. I probably spent an hour trying to figure out how to do this. I STILL can't figure out how to do it, I think partially because my UI is different than your UI. Now that YOU told me what to look for, I found it in the doc, but not in my product. One of the forums suggested importing a file from another program, which is what I wound up doing.

I've been doing photo editing since 1993, using PaintShop Pro, Photoshop, GIMP, and others, so I'm not a newbie. I may bite the bullet and go back to Photoshop, which I used for ~15 years. I'm impressed with the speed my question was tackled in this forum, but what's REALLY missing is this sort of info spread around the 'net. If I google a question about Photoshop, I can usually find 15 pertinent answers from 15 people. With Photodirector, I usually get a Cyberlink site with no specific info. This forum could be a godsend.

Thx again.

Milo
Milocat [Avatar]
[Post New]
PS ... I found the "create new project" button. User error.

Milo