CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Simple needs
Reply to this topic
Eric Johnson [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Feb 15, 2020 14:25 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I just bought a new car and wonder of wonders, no CD player. There are several USA ports however.

What do I need to move CD's (classical music) to a USB stick. Once the music is there, do I need to do anything other than plug the stick into port in the car?

Thanks.

Eric Johnson
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 5686 Offline
[Post New]
I used to use the windows media player to rip a cd to mp3 files on the pc. You can also use the MediaSuite/Power2Go/Media Converter/Rip Audio CD/Go to do the same thing. Copy those ripped mp3 files to a usb flash drive. That's it.

If you want detailed information then that is in the automobile users manual like this one: http://www.tohighlander.com/listening_to_a_usb_memory_device-191.html .
Eric Johnson [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I used to use the windows media player to rip a cd to mp3 files on the pc. You can also use the MediaSuite/Power2Go/Media Converter/Rip Audio CD/Go to do the same thing. Copy those ripped mp3 files to a usb flash drive. That's it.

If you want detailed information then that is in the automobile users manual like this one: http://www.tohighlander.com/listening_to_a_usb_memory_device-191.html .

I said it would be simple but I have a couple of follow-on questions.

1. I have a CD lbrary of about 300 discs. Don't know that I'll copy all of them but roughly, how many USB sticks will I need?

2. Does the process take as much time as the CD duration or does it work in sot of a "fast forward" mode?

3. What "size" sticks will I need and is that a standard used for these that is suitable or required for music vs say the spoken word?

Years ago I purchased the cyberlink suite and since upgraded it just to keep it current. I'm up to 13 so I guess the first step is to upgrade agin to latest/greatest.

Thanks.

Eric Johnson
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 5686 Offline
[Post New]
Apparently there may be no classical music lovers ripping their CD to mp3 reading this thread. A ripped 10 pop song from a CD took only a few minutes and is 60 MB in size at the default 128 Kbps quality. I have not done the math as classical music length is usually different. A 16 GB flash drive should work if you reduce the quality to 64 Kbps for those 300 discs.

You never stated what brand and model number is the entertainment center in that new vehicle. Need to read that manual for the particular size limit for files and drives for that vehicle like the Toyota Highlander particulars linked earlier. Every manufacturer supplies a manual so all your questions can be looked up.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 02. 2021 13:40

Eric Johnson [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Apparently there may be no classical music lovers ripping their CD to mp3 reading this thread. A ripped 10 pop song from a CD took only a few minutes and is 60 MB in size at the default 128 Kbps quality. I have not done the math as classical music length is usually different. A 16 GB flash drive should work if you reduce the quality to 64 Kbps for those 300 discs.

You never stated what brand and model number is the entertainment center in that new vehicle. Need to read that manual for the particular size limit for files and drives for that vehicle like the Toyota Highlander particulars linked earlier. Every manufacturer supplies a manual so all your questions can be looked up.

Don't know if the maker will tell you anything as the equipment folks are known for the electronins rather than for a system. However, it's B&O. I'm told that all the electronics to play a USB stick is built into the car.

I guess I'll buy a stick of meoderate size and use Power2Go to write to it and see what happens.

Funny how things have progressed. I had a 2006 vehicle that had a 6-pack of CD in the player. Then I bought a new car and the cassette was gone. Single CD's only. Now no CD's but a USB stick. Hard to imagine what's next except streaming.

Thanks for your help. Give me a couple days to experiment and we'll see . . .

Eric Johnson
Reply to this topic