Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 17 "Shadow File" and "Media Source" errors
Gabor Toth [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 27, 2019 16:25 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I have PowerDirector 17 Ultra purchased from the Microsoft Store. For several years it worked fine with the occasional errors but nothing major. However, for the past few weeks I simply can't use the software anymore. No matter what media file I try to import, I almost always get the same error messages.

Firstly, when I import and mp4 file, I always immediately get the "Shadow File is unavailable because it is broken" error message. I deleted every shadow file manually from the General Preferences menu but it didn't help.

Secondly, no matter which file I'd like to edit, PD 17 pops up the "Media Source error" panel (Error code: 2), and I basically cannot do anything with the file. I saved one of the error logs, but I don't know if it tells anything useful.

Media Source Error Report :
Error type : Video cut
Material type : Video
Error information : Unknown
Material filename : C:\filename.mp4
Detailed information : hr = 0x80040217, at ..\CES_Source\Src\CES_Engine\CES_MediaLoader.CPP:4303
Source filter GUID : E436EBB5-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770
Splitter filter GUID : A05CDF6C-287E-47A1-A407-A477A8A5FDCA
Video decoder filter GUID : 8A0836E9-6E48-454D-8F68-507BC13F3D0B
Video hardware decoder filter GUID : 8A0836E9-6E48-454D-8F68-507BC13F3D0B

I tried looking up this error and it might be caused that some codecs are, for some reason, missing from my computer? But the software worked flawlessly before so I'm not sure what could cause this. This error happens basically with every single mp4 file I'm trying to import now, so PD 17 has become practically unusable.

I hugely appreciate any help.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Before sending this information to CyberLink Technical Support, which you should, can you first try going in Preferences > Hardware Accleration and deselecting "Enable hardware decoding", and then try again?

If that doesn't work, then I suggest the CyberLink route:

https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Gabor Toth [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 27, 2019 16:25 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

Before sending this information to CyberLink Technical Support, which you should, can you first try going in Preferences > Hardware Accleration and deselecting "Enable hardware decoding", and then try again?

If that doesn't work, then I suggest the CyberLink route:

https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Hello,

Thank you for the quick reply. I tried disabling hardware decoding but I got the same result, always the "Media Source error" whenever I try to start editing a file.

However, I downloaded the PowerDirector 18 Essential (free version) from the Microsoft Store and interestingly it doesn't have any problems editing files. I however chose not to create shadow files when I was asked, and for the time being I'd rather not risk it either, as I now at least have a working version of PD. Since I mostly do basic editing and use no premium features I may stick with this version.

Also, thank you for the link, I'll check it out and send my support request there as well.