where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
4k HDR10 content and dimming
Reply to this topic
Offler [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Apr 02, 2021 11:27 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hello.

I would like to report an issue which is most likely Windows related.

Recently i purchased new UHD 4k HDR10 display:
https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-27GN950-B.AUS

And its connected via Display Port 1.4 to AMD Radeon VII:
https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-vii

I am currently waiting until UHD 4k certified Bluray drive arrives, and in the mean time i started to test HDR capacity of the display, using available demo 4k UHD HDR10 footage.

Results are however very bad, as the video image in fullscreen (and only fullscreen) is dark.

Settings are as follows:

4k @ 60Hz @ Display port 1.4 HDR @ 10bit color depth @ RGB 4:4:4 PC Standard @ HDCP 2.2 Enabled

Then I enable HDR mode as follows:
Settings>Display>Windows HD Color

Both "Use HDR" and "Stream HDR Video" are enabled.

In this situation the display announces that it recognizes HDR mode, and that it has switched to pre-defined Vesa HDR color profile, and in display OSD is stated that this VESA Certified DisplayHDR.

Then i open Power DVD 20 Ultra and navigate to the directory with 3 different demo movies, which are in UHD resolution, compressed in HEVC Main 10.

If the movies are opened in Windowed mode, they have correct HDR color gamut, but when i doubleclick for fullscreen, the brightness go very dark.

First i thought its an issue with display color profile, but no its not...

In windows HD color settings is a slider for HDR/SDR brightness balance.

If its set to 100, Desktop is quite bright, but every movie played using PowerDVD is very dark, regardless its HDR or SDR content.
If its set to 0, desktop is quite dark, but ALL movies (again both HDR and SDR) have correct brightness.

One of the demo movies i have behaves differently (its a MKV, others are MP4). If its started in fullscreen mode, the brightness is correct however when its set to windowed and then back to fullscreen, screen goes dark yet again.

On sunday should arrive new optical drive and i will re-test everything again with original UHD 4K bluray of Blade Runner 2049.

At this point it appears that the issue is either in Windows, or in Power DVD as the brightness is incorrectly set for HDR content and it seems to be inverted to the value it should in fact have.

I would like to ask you to look into the issue. So far the workaround for me is to set HDR/SDR balance to 0, have dark desktop, but the movies will have correct brightness.
[Post New]

I would like to ask you to look into the issue. So far the workaround for me is to set HDR/SDR balance to 0, have dark desktop, but the movies will have correct brightness.

Hello,

This a user forum, so the "you" you are referring to will not read this. I suggest you send this content and post the proper channel, which is CyberLink Technical Support:

https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do

Cheers,
PowerDVD Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 05. 2021 21:12

Reply to this topic