Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sync Audio only
RobertCarpenter [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 10, 2019 16:00 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I have an audio/video track (1) and an audio track (2). I have unlinked the audio/video track (1). There are 4 distinct clicks on both audio tracks and the audio is very short (removed audio after the clicks). Selected both audio clips and selected 'Sync by Audio'. PD moves the audio tracks from track 1/2 to 3/4, and it aligns the beginning of track 4 to the end of track 3 (i.e., end-to-end). I have used it successfully in the past. Any suggestions? Ultimately I have used Alt-right arrow to manually sync the clips.

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 18. 2021 11:49

AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have an audio/video track (1) and an audio track (2). I have unlinked the audio/video track (1). There are 4 distinct clicks on both audio tracks and the audio is very short (removed audio after the clicks). Selected both audio clips and selected 'Sync by Audio'. PD moves the audio tracks from track 1/2 to 3/4, and it aligns the beginning of track 4 to the end of track 3 (i.e., end-to-end). I have used it successfullly in the past. Any suggestions? Ultimately I have used Alt-right arrow to manually sync the clips.

Robert

The audios need to have a good definition to be analyzed correctly, there are cases that I prefer to do 2 to 2 at a time to avoid this spreading that happens when a lot of clips, will occupy several tracks
In some cases, increasing the volume and improving the audio can help, I think.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have an audio/video track (1) and an audio track (2). I have unlinked the audio/video track (1). There are 4 distinct clicks on both audio tracks and the audio is very short (removed audio after the clicks). Selected both audio clips and selected 'Sync by Audio'. PD moves the audio tracks from track 1/2 to 3/4, and it aligns the beginning of track 4 to the end of track 3 (i.e., end-to-end). I have used it successfullly in the past. Any suggestions? Ultimately I have used Alt-right arrow to manually sync the clips.

Robert

Just means PD couldn't find commonality to align. What can work in these cases is to trim both audio pieces to just a small section that for sure has commonality, and then Sync. If it works then expand the length audio back in both pieces.

Volume will make no difference, mute clips can sync fine as the underlying audio stream is used.

Jeff
RobertCarpenter [Avatar]
[Post New]

Just means PD couldn't find commonality to align. What can work in these cases is to trim both audio pieces to just a small section that for sure has commonality, and then Sync. If it works then expand the length audio back in both pieces.

Volume will make no difference, mute clips can sync fine as the underlying audio stream is used.

Jeff

I created two new audio/video files about 15 seconds long with one clapboard strike. Unlinked audio/video, deleted the videos, then selected both audio tracks, selected Sync by Audio, and again it moves the audio to the next two tracks and lines them up end-to-end. I then trimmed both audio clips to 1.5 seconds around the clapboard click and again it lines them up end-to-end. This used to work in previous versions.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I created two new audio/video files about 15 seconds long with one clapboard strike. Unlinked audio/video, deleted the videos, then selected both audio tracks, selected Sync by Audio, and again it moves the audio to the next two tracks and lines them up end-to-end. I then trimmed both audio clips to 1.5 seconds around the clapboard click and again it lines them up end-to-end. This used to work in previous versions.

Post the two 15 second audio clips, maybe some users will have a try. I have a few previous versions of PD and can also check if they are successful.

Jeff
RobertCarpenter [Avatar]
[Post New]

Post the two 15 second audio clips, maybe some users will have a try. I have a few previous versions of PD and can also check if they are successful.

Jeff

I have attached 3 files from different cameras that don't sync. The files starting with 2021 were taken at the same time with the vixia file recorded later. I was trying to verify if the bit rate or file type had anything to do with it but the results were the same, no sync.
 Filename
2021_0318_113828_001.MP4
[Disk]
 Description
SJCAM 5000 camera
 Filesize
27278 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
42 time(s)
 Filename
Vixia - MVI_1412.MP4
[Disk]
 Description
Vixia HF R800 camera
 Filesize
17467 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
50 time(s)
 Filename
2021_0318_112357_001.MOV
[Disk]
 Description
SJCAM 4000 camera
 Filesize
24452 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
55 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I tried the two simultaneous clips in PD13, 14, 17 and 365 and none of them can sync them.

Even though they were recorded at the same time, I don't think there's enough content for PD's algorthims to latch onto. If you were to do the exact same test but simply say something like "Here we go" then closing the clapboard, I think you'd sync 100% of the time.

I'd also also expect that you'd never be able to sync the Vixia clip. Even though your recorded the same sound, it was done by hand at (each time it closes will sound slightly different) and it will not have the same ambient sounds.

Do all three at the same time, don't rush through it, and everything should work like you expect.

I'd also recommend not using the clapboard right in front of any of the cameras (if possible), as that will give widely different volumes and resonances which PD may not consider to be identical. If you must do so, it's even more important that there be other sounds that all mics will hear more or leass equally.
RobertCarpenter [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I tried the two simultaneous clips in PD13, 14, 17 and 365 and none of them can sync them.

Even though they were recorded at the same time, I don't think there's enough content for PD's algorthims to latch onto. If you were to do the exact same test but simply say something like "Here we go" then closing the clapboard, I think you'd sync 100% of the time.

I'd also also expect that you'd never be able to sync the Vixia clip. Even though your recorded the same sound, it was done by hand at (each time it closes will sound slightly different) and it will not have the same ambient sounds.

Do all three at the same time, don't rush through it, and everything should work like you expect.

I'd also recommend not using the clapboard right in front of any of the cameras (if possible), as that will give widely different volumes and resonances which PD may not consider to be identical. If you must do so, it's even more important that there be other sounds that all mics will hear more or leass equally.

OK smarty editor, you win (and me too). New video script: {2 cameras running} moment of silence, "Hello, testing, testing", moment of silence, ClapBoard - one strike behind both cameras, moment of silence, "Turning off", CUT. That sync'd just fine using Sync by Audio in PD by moving camera 1's A/V to the right 4 frames, now the audio is flawless with one ClapBoard strike heard.

Thank you for your assistance - we are now in sync!

Robert