Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
A simple way to disable a clip!
LouieGribble [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 09, 2020 17:26 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I am desperate for a way to simply disable a clip from playing in the timeline - just like you can mute the audio.

I'm asking for a simple MUTE VIDEO option which could grey it out on the timeline so it doesn't play.

For me it would be incredibly helpful when I'm trying to quickly A/B/C/D audition to see which clip fits best in a segment and I could flick between them all super quick. This would greatly increase my workflow.
I come from a background of working on a timeline in audio recording where you can of course, simply mute any separate thing and it blows my mind that this simple option is not available on the PD timeline.

Moving the thin green line on a clip to set the opacity to zero is kinda ok - unless you've got any opacity keyframe activity on there and then it's a giant PITA and not really an option.

C'mon CL, I've been waiting for this for years!!!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 28. 2021 07:45

Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
It would indeed be great to be able to disable a single clip. It may also lead to all sorts of confusions (why does my clip not play :)

I guess that until this feature has been added to PD, the solution would be to set the A/B/C/D clips each in a separate track in the timeline, and to disable the tracks on and off? Or is that too simple?
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am desperate for a way to simply disable a clip from playing in the timeline - just like you can mute the audio.

I'm asking for a simple MUTE VIDEO option which could grey it out on the timeline so it doesn't play.

For me it would be incredibly helpful when I'm trying to quickly A/B/C/D audition to see which clip fits best in a segment and I could flick between them all super quick. This would greatly increase my workflow.
I come from a background of working on a timeline in audio recording where you can of course, simply mute any separate thing and it blows my mind that this simple option is not available on the PD timeline.

Moving the thin green line on a clip to set the opacity to zero is kinda ok - unless you've got any opacity keyframe activity on there and then it's a giant PITA and not really an option.

C'mon CL, I've been waiting for this for years!!!

Feature request can be made using the program. Go to "File > Rate Us & Send Feedback"
LouieGribble [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 09, 2020 17:26 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
In my field of making music and experimental videos with many different clips and elements, I find that as my project evolves clips are in many different places on various tracks as I comp takes, try things and the project builds.
Yes, your suggestion is of course one possible simplified option if I am introducing new clips at once (that was just one example of when I'd find it useful) but I still don't think it would beat the flexibilty of just being able to disable something instantly.
I can't be the only person whose workflow could definitely benefit from this feature?
tbridge [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 13, 2011 09:19 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
Why not put the clip on another track and then enable/disable the track as required?
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Why not put the clip on another track and then enable/disable the track as required?

That was my suggestion:
tbridge [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 13, 2011 09:19 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]

That was my suggestion:

It was indeed (I see now!) sorry to step on your toes!

sealed
Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]
Version 20 now has the option in the clip “main” menu (right click with the clip selected) to enable it or not. Untagging “enable” hides the clip from displaying.
feedback50 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 29, 2020 19:33 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
POSSIBLE BUG: There remains a problem with the CLIP ENABLE OPTION. If you disable a clip and save your project, and then quit Power Director, when you restart and reload the project, all clips seem to be ENABLED AGAIN. Lost several hours of editing from this oversight. This needs to be fixed please.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 07. 2022 12:18

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote POSSIBLE BUG: There remains a problem with the CLIP ENABLE OPTION. If you disable a clip and save your project, and then quit Power Director, when you restart and reload the project, all clips seem to be ENABLED AGAIN. Lost several hours of editing from this oversight. This needs to be fixed please.

I see the same behavior in the latest version of PD365, so it seems lke disabling clips from the timeline is only useful during a single editing session.

Also, this is a user-to-user forum and isn't monitored by CL. To report the issue I suggest you contact them directly from their Contact Us page.