Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Pan across background and then zoom into full
detroit123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Dec 20, 2011 14:58 Messages: 194 Offline
[Post New]
I would like to know how to do this using PD 18

See sample clip link

Here there is video playing and then there is a Pan Across a background of pic and then a Zoom into Full screen of the next video

Seems like a cool thing to do

link is below

https://1drv.ms/u/s!At-17QjZeTIugP9gKbAZ-amDkPSzNA?e=DotztV
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
You do this with keyframes in the pan & zoom tool.

First, select the video clip in the TL. then choose tools, power tools, and select the crop, zoom and pan option.
Second, when the P&Z window opens, you will see the clip surrounded by a white line and 6 trim makers, and a slip TL with an opening keyframe (small diamond shaped icon) at the start.

third, on the TL, move the play marker (white pyramid icon) to the part of the clip where you want the pan to stop, and the zoom to start. Add a keyframe here (locate the diamond+ icon below the TL, and click it: a keyframe should appear in the TL).
Fourth, move the play marker to the end of the TL, and add a keyframe: this is where the zoom will stop.

Now re-select the starting keyframe, and then using the sizing handle reduce the size of the clip in view - by say 20%. You can't pan acros a clip when its at 100%. use the centre dot to click and drag the reduced framing to the part of the image where you want the pan to start. Repeat this at the keyframe for end of pan: reduce the frame using the sizing handles, and locate it at the part of the image where you want pan to stop. This also the keyfrane where the zoom starts.

Move the play marker to the end of TL keyframe, and size/position the clip framing to give the amount of zoom and the location where it will be at that point.

Now, select the starting KF and play the result (the play arrow in the window TL): it should pan across the clip image and zoom at the end. It's all controlled by the keyframes and the image sizing window. You may have to fiddle with the amount of pan size and zoom position to get the effect you are satisfied with.

I've attached a screenshot to illustrate the P&Z window on a similar event (geishas in japan).
[Thumb - video pan and zoom with keyframes.jpg]
 Filename
video pan and zoom with keyframes.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
106 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 05. 2021 07:17

detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the detailed answer. I will try this

Does your answer also cover the background image ?

in the video link I sent there is a background with a collage of pics as well
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
Puzzlement - background image??
Your clip was of a fashion show of some sort. I used a similar fashion show (showing off geisha kimono's) I just happened to have available for demo.
The background is whatever the clip is that you want to pan and zoom on. You can also do it on a still photo.
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
so I assume I would put a still frame in track 1 as the background and then the video track in 2 and then use the pan and zoom the way you mentioned?

I think in the fashion video I sent the still image is also being panned as well
Davidk101
[Post New]
I think you are mis-understanding what I said.
The background is the photo or video image you want to pan and zoom on. One clip.

If you want to pan and zoom with both - eg, a still background with a video foreground, as in a performer doing a routine against a desirable background like a surf scene- then you are in the desirable position of live recording it like that, you would have to separately record the video performance using a green screen and use the chroma key option to remove the 'green' background when the video and still image are combined in the editor. The effect then is a video performance against your still image background.

You can also use a royal blue background screen when recording the video; the trick is to ensure the video green or blue screen does not match anything in the still background image: or it too will be removed as part of the chroma key operation.

You will find a description of the chroma key operation in the user guide starting on p249.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 06. 2021 05:44