Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Mobile phone video frame rate problems
Martin68 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Mar 31, 2012 08:50 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
First off, why does SVRT not work with mobile phone video shot at 30p? and rendered at 30p with no changes made? The entire timeline goes red with no green sections.

Secondly, being that my phone is now my primary video camera as it is always with me, there is a big problem living in the UK, or most of the PAL world is that mobile phones only shoot in NTSC frame rates

So being i live in the uk, do i need to set my project to the ntsc format for phone video, even though PD16 states PAL for UK use.

Why cant they simply make PAL smart phones 25p and 50p for most of the world, and keep their 30p and 60p for North America and the other very few countries which use it.

I have seen countless choppy videos on tv news etc taken from phones shot in 30p in a PAL country, will this nonsense ever be fixed?

And as for vertical video, don't get me started!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote First off, why does SVRT not work with mobile phone video shot at 30p? and rendered at 30p with no changes made? The entire timeline goes red with no green sections.

SVRT currently only works with nearly constant frame rate. Most phones record at a highly variable frame rate depending on scene. This is often the case to conserve battery and storage with minimal loss of quality.

Quote Secondly, being that my phone is now my primary video camera as it is always with me, there is a big problem living in the UK, or most of the PAL world is that mobile phones only shoot in NTSC frame rates

Really same comment as above. The NTSC "standard" really consists of two interlaced fields per frame, not progressive. Really just progression to digital vs analog infrastrure.

Quote So being i live in the uk, do i need to set my project to the ntsc format for phone video, even though PD16 states PAL for UK use.

Why cant they simply make PAL smart phones 25p and 50p for most of the world, and keep their 30p and 60p for North America and the other very few countries which use it.

I have seen countless choppy videos on tv news etc taken from phones shot in 30p in a PAL country, will this nonsense ever be fixed?

And as for vertical video, don't get me started!

How to handle really depends in part on the issues you are having and what media you plan to use for viewing. Often if a phone clip has highly variable frame rate, a sync issue may also be present in PD. Often converting these phone clips to a constant frame rate can alleviate that issue, there you could generate your 50p if desired. HandBrake, a tool used by many for such conversion.

Jeff
Martin68 [Avatar]
[Post New]

SVRT currently only works with nearly constant frame rate. Most phones record at a highly variable frame rate depending on scene. This is often the case to conserve battery and storage with minimal loss of quality.

Really same comment as above. The NTSC "standard" really consists of two interlaced fields per frame, not progressive. Really just progression to digital vs analog infrastrure.

How to handle really depends in part on the issues you are having and what media you plan to use for viewing. Often if a phone clip has highly variable frame rate, a sync issue may also be present in PD. Often converting these phone clips to a constant frame rate can alleviate that issue, there you could generate your 50p if desired. HandBrake, a tool used by many for such conversion.

Jeff

The main reason i want to shoot video at 25p or 50p is because i live in a 50Hz power grid country (as most of the world is) and because my lights and street lights, shop lights etc all run on the 50Hz electricity , shooting at 30p or 60p created a dreadful flicker.

I can only assume that smartphone designers are all based in north America and have turned a blind eye on this issue for anyone living outside of a 60Hz country.

I am aware that NTSC and PAL is no longer used but its a term we still talk about when it comes to frame rates as this seems to be the only part of the old system that has stayed the same apart from is being progressive opposed to interlaced nowadays.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The main reason i want to shoot video at 25p or 50p is because i live in a 50Hz power grid country (as most of the world is) and because my lights and street lights, shop lights etc all run on the 50Hz electricity , shooting at 30p or 60p created a dreadful flicker.

I can only assume that smartphone designers are all based in north America and have turned a blind eye on this issue for anyone living outside of a 60Hz country.

I am aware that NTSC and PAL is no longer used but its a term we still talk about when it comes to frame rates as this seems to be the only part of the old system that has stayed the same apart from is being progressive opposed to interlaced nowadays.

If you want to shoot at a constant 25/50p on your phone and not post record convert, maybe consider Filmic Pro or similar for your phone, it will do that.

Jeff
 Filename
Filmic Pro.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
151 time(s)
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
I think Martin68 had hit the nail on the head with his comments. With the processing power available in smartphones these days it beggars belief that a huge part of the market is ignored in this way. If Filmic Pro can make a smartphone shoot in fixed frame-rate 25fps or 50fps then the manufacturers could easily incorporate this into their phone settings.

Is it another case of the Americans trying to foist their standards on everyone else? Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Is it another case of the Americans trying to foist their standards on everyone else?

I don't think that Samsung, Huawei, LG and many other manufacturers have any kind of pro-America agenda.

Most traditional camera and video recorder companies still make products tailored to their region's power frequency, but mobile devices seems to have a different outlook. I don't know why that is, but I'm glad there are apps that can be used to address the issue, even if it is an unwanted extra step.
Martin68 [Avatar]
[Post New]
for me i'm an amture video enthusiast, I like to use many features a phone camera has to offer, such as slo motion, portrate video, selfy cam video etc.. all these features are available on the stock app but in 30fps, and filmic pro can not access these features.
Also filmic pro, eats battery power and does not truely convert to 25fps (at least not on my galaxy S as 50hz lights still flicker and i find it harder to get the same good exposure from it than what the stock app can do.

I have been crying out for PAL frame rates for years to Samsung, yet they still dont listen, perhaps more of us in PAL regions need to voice out to them, but sadly it seems that no one cares, just like they don't care about filming vertically (don't get me started!!)

Cameras on phones have now over taken traditional consumer camcorders which used to be PAL for PAL regions, so why can't phones?

Samsung already produce region based phones, Snapdragon for America, Exinos for Europe, so while they're at it put PAL frame rates on all Exinos variants.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote for me i'm an amture video enthusiast, I like to use many features a phone camera has to offer, such as slo motion, portrate video, selfy cam video etc.. all these features are available on the stock app but in 30fps, and filmic pro can not access these features.
Also filmic pro, eats battery power and does not truely convert to 25fps (at least not on my galaxy S8) as 50hz lights still flicker and i find it harder to get the same good exposure from it than what the stock app can do.

I have been crying out for PAL frame rates for years to Samsung, yet they still dont listen, perhaps more of us in PAL regions need to voice out to them, but sadly it seems that no one cares, just like they don't care about filming vertically (don't get me started!!)

Cameras on phones have now over taken traditional consumer camcorders which used to be PAL for PAL regions, so why can't phones?

Samsung already produce region based phones, Snapdragon for America, Exinos for Europe, so while they're at it put PAL frame rates on all Exinos variants.

Since in your other post you stated 30fps down sampled to 25fps for your other footage causes choppy playback, maybe try something like Video Enhance AI to up sample all to 50fps. It took some getting used to and experimenting but I've been pretty happy with the results. It is computationally intense so slows things up but quality has been good. It will do actual frame calculation and generation of new frames vs just frame dropping or adding that PD does.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 24. 2022 22:11

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Is it another case of the Americans trying to foist their standards on everyone else?

Probably the opposite, the American Apple corporation located in Cupertino, CA of the USA and their iPhone used around the world is probably one of the first to offer 1080p and 4k at 25fps natively. Maybe the Android OS products will follow suite and have an option for Martin68 soon. Until then, some intermediate approach to achieve a common fps is required.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 27. 2022 20:42

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

The main reason i want to shoot video at 25p or 50p is because i live in a 50Hz power grid country (as most of the world is) and because my lights and street lights, shop lights etc all run on the 50Hz electricity , shooting at 30p or 60p created a dreadful flicker.

Hi,
Does the s8 have any antibanding settings and if so does that help? My Redmi Note 10 Pro has Off, 60hz, 50hz, and Auto. Not sure of the technology nor its effectiveness but if you have it ......?

Cheers,
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do