Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transparency lost when creating a GIF using transparent PNGs.
JustMeh [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 05, 2021 12:01 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am trying to make a custom "in helmet" blink animation, I created the frames of the gif myself and saved them as PNGs.

At this point the images have transprency and I can use them in my video.
However using multiple images for the blink animation is wonky and inconsistent, so I decided to try and create a gif with it.

I add the PNG images to the "animated GIF frames", tweak the fps and create a GIF. However the transparency seems to be lost.
I am not sure where I am going wrong; can someone give me advice or point me in a direction?

Note: see attached for PNG images and created GIF. Images seem to be pitch black, but it does have transparency.

Thank you
 Filename
Squire Helm Blink.zip
[Disk]
 Description
PNG images with transparency + created GIF
 Filesize
145 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
109 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 14. 2021 15:29

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
To my knowledge PD does not support any alpha channel output formats, so nothing produced by PD can have transparency.

You can import transparent clips and overly them on top of your main content, but you'll have to use the individual PNG images and produce the finished content directly from the timeline.

I'm not sure what you mean be "wonky and inconsistent," but maybe if you made a screen recording of what you're trying to do someone here will be able to give you some suggestions for getting the results you're looking for.

Upload the recording to YouTube and paste a link here, or use the Attachments button below the forum's text box if the MP4 is smaller than 100MB.
JustMeh [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 05, 2021 12:01 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote To my knowledge PD does not support any alpha channel output formats, so nothing produced by PD can have transparency.

You can import transparent clips and overly them on top of your main content, but you'll have to use the individual PNG images and produce the finished content directly from the timeline.

I'm not sure what you mean be "wonky and inconsistent," but maybe if you made a screen recording of what you're trying to do someone here will be able to give you some suggestions for getting the results you're looking for.

Upload the recording to YouTube and paste a link here, or use the Attachments button below the forum's text box if the MP4 is smaller than 100MB.

Just realized, I forgot to mention that I have the Power Director Suite. I created the PNGs using Photo Director 365 and I am also trying to create the gif with Photo Director.

When I say "wonky and inconsistent", I am refering to the spacing between frames being inconsistent (as it is hard/tedious to move and change each frame's keyframe). The end result looks like a rigid blink.
I can fix it and then copy and paste the end result, however I felt that the "Create a GIF" function might've given me a smoother blink animation with less effort.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Just use Paint or another free image app to create the transparent GIF. Here's one article on how to do it.