Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Nested projects... confused
[Post New]
Hi,

I started to use nested projects and it seemed to be a perfect idea but it confused me totally.

In my understanding, it was like combining several projects into another one. Then I started to edit one nested project and after saving it I went back to the main one. Then confusion happened! My edits were gone!

Now I can see, that only the inserted project is taken from the source project file. Then all is stored in the mail file and any connection is lost. No changes are saved to the original source project nor read back from it.

Actually, all nested projects are stored in one main project file and have nothing to do with their origin.

Am I right?

Is there any way to connect them together?

I mean having one main project file and several sub-project files which could be edited separately and then automatically imported into the main project. Is it possible? _______________________________
regards, Tom
(PD365, Win10 Pro x64, Dell Precision T3500, Xeon W3670, 12GB, SSD)
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
If I understand correctly, when a miniproject is uncertain in another main one, it will be part of the main project and will be saved in this one.
The mini-project remains unchanged.
If you want to update changes made to the miniproject.
Save the main project, select with yellow cursor, only mini project, “Copy”.
Select new workspace, “Paste” save miniproject.
The main project will link with material from the mini-project, so it should not be discarded. XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
[Post New]
Quote If I understand correctly, when a miniproject is uncertain in another main one, it will be part of the main project and will be saved in this one.
The mini-project remains unchanged.
If you want to update changes made to the miniproject.
Save the main project, select with yellow cursor, only mini project, “Copy”.
Select new workspace, “Paste” save miniproject.
The main project will link with material from the mini-project, so it should not be discarded.

Thank you but I do not want to C&P.
I am thinking about functionality like Adobe Illustrator has, where you can link a picture inserted into a project to the file containing that picture, and any changes you do to that file later, reflect into the main project. You do not have to C&P back from main to the source. _______________________________
regards, Tom
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Change images without problem, as long as they are in the same place and with the same name.
The project will add as if it were the first.
The other way is to add the modified image to the library, drag it over the old one and select Replace. XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
[Post New]
Quote Change images without a problem, as long as they are in the same place and with the same name.
The project will add as if it were the first.
The other way is to add the modified image to the library, drag it over the old one, and select Replace.

I appreciate your advice and I wonder if it is possible in PD to have inserted projects behave the same way as images.

With images, you have like I described above. When you edit them outside of PD, they are being read anew next time you load the project.
Unfortunately, this is not the case with sub-projects. They are not because any connection has been lost the moment you inserted them into the main project. They only act as a template for nested projects. _______________________________
regards, Tom
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Am I right?

Yes

Quote Is there any way to connect them together?

No, not an automated active link.

Quote I mean having one main project file and several sub-project files which could be edited separately and then automatically imported into the main project. Is it possible?

Only manually, you would have to say delete proj1 from your base project and insert proj1 again and it would then have the changes you made to proj1 outside of your base project.

If you edit proj1 as a nested project in base then you simply have this project as a subset of base but it has no ties back to proj1.

Above character when pref set to "As Nested Project"

Jeff