Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sync by Audio either not working or fails
AdamPowerDirector [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 10, 2015 07:15 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I am hoping someone out there can help me. I am not a newbie, but I'm definitely an amateur. My filming method is to create video on a camera phone while separately recording audio using a nicer mic, then to sync them in PowerDirector using the "Sync By Audio" function. This worked fine in prior versions of PD, but when I upgraded to PD18, it doesn't work correctly. Sometimes the audio ends up lining up with the video in a wrong place in the timeline, but usually it just places the audio file after the video file (signifying that it could not synchronize them). Can anyone please help? Lining them up manually is much less precise and takes a lot more time.

(To rule out certain problems: 1. For my sound files I export MP3s out of Audacity 2.3.3, and I have confirmed that Audacity applied no filters or limiters to the MP3 that might have distorted the sound beyond PD's recognition. 2. I used this method for years with earlier versions with the same equipment, so I know the problem isn't the equipment. 3. I used two different mics and two different camera phones with the same results.)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The quickest way to overcome a problem like this is to temporarily trim each of the clips so that they each contain the same content at a fairly well-known point. Ideally this would be a sharp, sudden sound or a clear stretch of easily identifiable sounds. If you'll be recording new video & audio, a sharp clap at the start is easy to spot on the timeline and easy for PD to sync.

Now use Sync by Audio on the two shortened clips (which should occur very quickly) then drag out the ends (or use the Trim tool) to restore their full length.
AdamPowerDirector [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 10, 2015 07:15 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for this suggested work-around, but it often fails even with clips of 10 seconds or less. Also, finding the audio point in a much longer video (or vice versa) takes a lot of human-time, and it's something that PD is supposed to be automate. It worked fine for years and it would be best to find out why it no longer does.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thank you for this suggested work-around, but it often fails even with clips of 10 seconds or less. Also, finding the audio point in a much longer video (or vice versa) takes a lot of human-time, and it's something that PD is supposed to be automate. It worked fine for years and it would be best to find out why it no longer does.

I'd agree somethings different vs prior versions. I suggest sharing your specific project (File > Pack Project.. and google drive or the like) you are having issue with, if the same issue exists with PD19 and users can replicate, maybe CL will have a look at it.

Jeff