Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 12/ Silver Crest Video Grabber
basildonandyh1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 21, 2020 11:34 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,
I hope someone can help me. I bought a SilverCrest USB video grabber several years ago with the intention of digitising my VHS video cassettes. On the box it says "For easily digitising analogue video recordings". Intentions were good, but it didn't happen.
But now, with Covid-19 and a long winter ahead I thought there would never be more or a better time to tackle the job.
I have a Hitachi DV-PF3E(UK) DVD/VCR Combo (DVD playback not record), a laptop running Windows 10, the kit that was in the box, a DVD (Cyber Link Power Director 12), which I have downloaded. a SCART connector, Red, Yellow, White AV leads and S-Video connectors. I have connected everything up but cannot access the output from the VCR on Power director on my computer screen.
I can get the camera from the computer screen but not the VCR. I am probably doing something very stupid wrong, but I am a technophobe. I have looked at the help section, but could find nothing that mentioned how to upload VHS recordings to the computer.
If anyone out there can help I would be very grateful.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I can get the camera from the computer screen but not the VCR. I am probably doing something very stupid wrong, but I am a technophobe. I have looked at the help section, but could find nothing that mentioned how to upload VHS recordings to the computer.
If anyone out there can help I would be very grateful.

This video may help: https://youtu.be/ii_0Qhon6Ys?t=112 . As shown at 1 min. 52 sec in the video, go to the Capture tab of PD12 and click the analog TV button which is the third button on the top left. That is the only button that will allow capture from the setup.
basildonandyh1 [Avatar]
[Post New]

This video may help: https://youtu.be/ii_0Qhon6Ys?t=112 . As shown at 1 min. 52 sec in the video, go to the Capture tab of PD12 and click the analog TV button which is the third button on the top left. That is the only button that will allow capture from the setup.

Thanks I will try this tomorrow but still unsure as it seemed to skip over the settings needed in about a second. Will try and let you know how I get on.
Thanks again
basildonandyh1 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Have tried but on a first run all I got was a flickering green screen (see attachment)
 Filename
IMG_0102 (1).MOV
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
12800 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
53 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Have tried but on a first run all I got was a flickering green screen (see attachment)

This is good that you are making progress and getting something on the PD12 capture preview window. Try this: Leave the S-Video disconnected. Connect a yellow rca composite video cable from the scarts adapter to the SilverCrest USB video grabber. Play the vcr with a recorded tape in it. If there is no picture then click on Settings/Plolaris Video Capture and a Driver window with tabs should popup. Change the setting from S-Video to composite. If needed click on the tuner tab to change from NTSC to one of the PAL settings. Change until one of the PAL settings gives you the best picture. Write all this down for future reference.
basildonandyh1 [Avatar]
[Post New]

This is good that you are making progress and getting something on the PD12 capture preview window. Try this: Leave the S-Video disconnected. Connect a yellow rca composite video cable from the scarts adapter to the SilverCrest USB video grabber. Play the vcr with a recorded tape in it. If there is no picture then click on Settings/Plolaris Video Capture and a Driver window with tabs should popup. Change the setting from S-Video to composite. If needed click on the tuner tab to change from NTSC to one of the PAL settings. Change until one of the PAL settings gives you the best picture. Write all this down for future reference.

Thanks for all the help.
Your advice has worked a treat, and I have now been able to make a start on digitising my old VHS tapes.
Once again thanks
Andy