Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Creating a Disk menu - pd18 newbie but experienced with other editors
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
My first project using pd 18 is getting close to finished and it will probably have about 7 or 8 titles in it. Meaning, that many individual projects, each about 8 minutes long, rendered to mpg.

I want to create a disk with a menu having those 7 or 8 rendered files (the whole files, not selected parts of any one of them) as the playable times in a menu.

I've printed out the 32pages of the UG dealing with creating disks, done some experimentation involving importing some of the rendered files onto the disk content panel, choosing a theme, preview et al; and I've figured some things out. But I also have some questions that the UG just doesn't seem to address. This post may be just the start . . .

1. terminology
Root menu - which I understand to be the main menu theme containing the playable options: either individual items or pages for more items or those items on an extra disk (eg, disk 2 of a 3 disk series).
titles/chapters - which in my experience has meant assigning a 'title" (a label?) to a part ("chapter") of a rendered file that is desired for direct access from a menu option.

Q1 - I am getting the impression that although the pd18 terms used are the same, they don't mean the same thing. ??

2. Items in the root menu
Having imported 4 content files and adjusted sequence and the label titles thereof, I went looking for a menu theme. The UG says the root can have many things in it, and I assumed that also meant full clips. but there was no tmeplate that allowed that. Q2 - So, if individual playable items cannot be shown in the root, only in a title or sub-menu, how is the root menu arranged to have a menu item pointing to 'the next page"???

3. Choosing a theme with content labels displayed.
In the menu preferences, the template list looks impressive. But I could not, NOT, find one that listed the title labels for the loaded content.
Example:
chose the "around the world" template.
The root menu did not have any content items in it, just a 'play' item which I interpreted to mean play the whole disk. there are tijmes when that's what you want to do, but frankly I've had more success with setting a menu to play individual items.
But the titles menu for that template looked like it might do. However, there was no way I could get the template selection to move from root to titles. Q3 - How do I do that???

4. Content labels in the menu
Q4 - Prior experience is that the content labels are laoded into the chosen menu theme. But pd18 doesn't do that: so are the loaded content titles labels auto displayed in the titles menu? since I can't find a way to select that (see 3).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 03. 2020 01:49

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Creating a menu template is different from creating or using the menu. This tutorial may answer many of your questions: https://youtu.be/YRYhQw-RJgk .

The around the world menu template show no scenes button if you did not add any chapters or titles yet. This one may help: https://youtu.be/f-do66vpFeA .
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Tomasc,
The tutorial at the 1st link I had already seen; the 2nd one was new to me and answered some questions whilst posing more.

So, to clarify: what I was trying to do was use an existing menu template with imported clips to create a menu that just had a text label for each clip on it. Walk before running. Creating a custom menu template wasn't a thought yet.

1. What the extra tutorial made clear was that the clips on the disc are titles in PD18 parlance. The thing that has been confusing me is the purpose of the "root menu". The 2nd tut makes it clear that it can be dispensed with, so what is it for?? why have it since it seems superfluous.

Since the root menu can be removed (dispensed with (2nd tut link)) but how do you do that?? there isn't anything in the tut about that.

2. Connecting the imported clips with the title labels in the menu. I've been labouring under the impression that having imported the clips, selecting a menu template would automatically present the clip names as labels that could be edited for the menu. For example, a clip name of "tokyo city day 1" could be edited as a label to "tokyo 1". But since the clip names are not presented - at least I haven't been able to see them (see my earlier remark about being unable to change from root to titles menus in a template) that doesn;t seem possible. So how are clips linked to the item in a menu (click the item and the clip plays)??

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 04. 2020 03:55

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
1. At the bottom of the Create disc/Menu preference tab you will see 4 checkboxes. Uncheck Include the root menu and there won’t be one. This may be found on p.438 in my manual.

2. Go to the Create disc/Content tab where you have already imported the titles. Click on the title name that you see on the left and it will change to blue allowing you to rename the text of that title.
Davidk101
[Post New]
Tomasc,
Ah, thanks,
A point that matters - in the PD18 UG pdf file that item (include root menu) is on page numbers 446, page in the file is 455. But your references were helpful finding this, since my initial scan just . . didn't (too fast, looking for something esle? whatever.)
So, editing the title label text in the content list is good, locating it, re-sizing the icon, good, changing the text font size also good.

With 4 items in this menu, choosing this template has resulted 2 menu pages: apparently 3 per page. When I insert more in the finished version I am assuming that extra pages will also be added.

Another Q - if I re-size the icons and text in the menu page, does the template adapt and allow extra items in one page if the sizes/fonts are small enough?? Or do I need to find/choose anolther template that allows more title labels per page???

I can centre align text on page 1 of the menu, BUT editing the text for the 2nd menu page, I cannot get the menu title text to centre-align: the controls say centre alignment is chosen, but the text when highlighted will not do so. Screenshot attached. Is that a bug or is there a technique that I need to use here to do that on menu page 2 et al?

The purpose of having a root menu isn't addressed in the UG - even by inference or example. So I guess no one knows??
[Thumb - Create menu 2_cannot set title text centre.jpg]
 Filename
Create menu 2_cannot set title text centre.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
336 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 04. 2020 22:20

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
That is in p.438 in the PD18 manual but moved to p.446 in the PD18.3 manual Revision date: 2/27/2020 that you are quoting from. See that in the very first page of the manual.

The answer is Yes to your first question and it’s up to you to the second question. There is the Menu Structure button on top that you may wish to check out later to format other text like place part of a long title on a second line below if you feel that it may be needed.

I have a 6 title/chapter full uncropped thumbnail menu that allows long descriptive text for chapter names uploaded to the DirectorZone last month. Someone else uploaded a 10 thumbnail menu also so you can have all the titles on a one page menu.