Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
8mm scanned films
StAus [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 29, 2019 08:49 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have scanned my private 8mm films and do play with them in PowerDirector and I'm rather pleased with the results. However, it may be better in some areas and there are a lot of enhancements I can do with noice reduction, stability, edge enhancements etc. but there is always an upside and a downside for each setting.

Are there anyone out there who have found a perfect balance on the various settings that gives the best images with less loss in sharpness and colour?

The films are scanned in HD resolution.

Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I have done a lot with 8mm material as well and agree that PD is a good tool to get fair results. The fact that you have your films scanned in HD, also means that all flaws and dirt and scratches and lack of sharpness will be very visible too.
My experience is that there is no really good pre-setting to get the perfect result. It strongly depends on the shape of the source material, the scanning and the desired result. I usually cut the material into smaller clips that look similar and may require the same improvement settings and adjust the scenes as desired. Then apply the settings to other scenes (copy and paste the video (keyframe) attributes) and see what the result is. Either use it or do some further fine-tuning.
Sometimes using LUTs will help. But again, depending on the variables mentioned.
For some 8 mm film which was in the 4:3 format, I cropped the scenes to get the 16:9 format, which shows nice on nowadays screens. Of course, it depends on what the clips display whether such a cropping is not too crude.
And ... in some cases I have done not too much to the material as not to lose the charms of the old material.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 18. 2020 04:56

StAus [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 29, 2019 08:49 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,
I have done a lot with 8mm material as well and agree that PD is a good tool to get fair results. The fact that you have your films scanned in HD, also means that all flaws and dirt and scratches and lack of sharpness will be very visible too.
My experience is that there is no really good pre-setting to get the perfect result. It strongly depends on the shape of the source material, the scanning and the desired result. I usually cut the material into smaller clips that look similar and may require the same improvement settings and adjust the scenes as desired. Then apply the settings to other scenes (copy and paste the video (keyframe) attributes) and see what the result is. Either use it or do some further fine-tuning.
Sometimes using LUTs will help. But again, depending on the variables mentioned.
For some 8 mm film which was in the 4:3 format, I cropped the scenes to get the 16:9 format, which shows nice on nowadays screens. Of course, it depends on what the clips display whether such a cropping is not too crude.
And ... in some cases I have done not too much to the material as not to lose the charms of the old material.

Thanks.

Yes, HD can give results that isn't as good as "HD" sounds like. I have been experimenting with different settings in the obvious areas for scanned films - and will continue to do so. With more than 10 hours film it's a bit time consuming to break it down to small bits of 3 - 5 seconds scenes; a good, general, setting would have been nice.

However - I have time to test and squeeze the best out of it.