Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Importing VCR files directly into PowerDirector 365
IANACGrant [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 23, 2009 09:30 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Can anyone advice on a suitable device to I can use to connect my old VCR player to my Windows 10 laptop. I have used EasyCap on previous version of Windows and PowerDirector but PowerDirector no longer recognises EasyCap. My laptop has the correct drivers etc. for EasyCap but PowerDirector 365 does not show the device under the list of Capture devices.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
If you are in the US then the Diamond VC-500 is a good capture device. In Europe buy whatever has what you need like one with the British scarts adapter if needed. You can buy the EZ cap made for win 10 if available.
IANACGrant [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 23, 2009 09:30 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you. I was a bit concerned about buying something that still would not work with my new PowerDirector 365.
Much appreciated.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
EZ Cap is a low quality device.
The VC500 is better.
I prefer my Hauppage dongle.
You should start with a good Vcr, using S-video connection.
Time base corrector (both line and frame) is preferable.
If you have a lot of tapes then you can spend serious money on your workflow but much can be recouped by reselling.
A decent workflow can run you $1,000. I could get $1500 for my TBC alone. I'll spare everyone my usual rant on lossless codecs unless you ask.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 01. 2020 03:14

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Barry is right. If you want the highest possible quality, time base correction and a $1000+ device is your best choice.

But if you're just digitizing VHS (which, if shot by a home camcorder, isn't terribly high quality anyway) the Diamond VC500 will give you as-good-as-original results.

Here's my tutorial in using this unit to digitize video.

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Because I always make a corrections render, which isn't lossless, I strive for every nugget of information on the tape. In the rare occasion I do a quick and dirty mpeg2 or MP4 capture, I'll bump up the bit rate. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT