Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Inverse Mode in Paint Designer Absent
Somsuddha [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 19, 2020 11:08 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Paint Designer of Powerdirector 18 &365 does not have Inverse Mode feature for Eraser Tool and it is creating much limitation during editing. Could you please help on this.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Paint Designer of Powerdirector 18 &365 does not have Inverse Mode feature for Eraser Tool and it is creating much limitation during editing. Could you please help on this.

I'm not quite cleear on what you're referring to. There are 3 drawing tools and one eraser and they all seem to work as expected. What would "inverse mode" look like for the eraser tool?

If you make a mistake when drawing, you can use the Undo arrow or type Ctrl+Z to undo the current segment, and that's usually cleaner than trying to touch it up or directly erase just that section (especially if it's on top of other painted content).
Somsuddha [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 19, 2020 11:08 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Suppose I drag an image on my timeline. Went to PiP object and there I want to do record the motion if the Eraser as if it is wiping out the image.
Just like we do in Windows Paint Brush.

Please see the tutorial link https://youtu.be/8dB_rnWpQ0g

You will see the radio button on Paint Designer called "Inverse Mode''. But that is not present in Powerdirector 18 365 Ultimate
Is it a product issue? Can we get a hotfix for that?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
That tutorial is for PD16. The Inverse function was removed 2 years ago. I contacted support and got a workaround for a user as follow:

Dear Tommy,
Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.
We understand that you are concern about the Inverse function on the PowerDirector 17 is no longer available. We are mo
re than willing to assist you.
With reference to your query, PowerDirector 17 Paint Designer doesn't support the Inverse function currently. We really appreciate to the suggestion and we have forwarded the suggestion to the corrosponding department for considertion.
You may try to use the Paint Desinger pip to produce a same aspect ratio video. Apply Chroma key on the produced video to remove the background and then use the "Video In Reverse" on the video to workaround it.

Please feel free to contact us back for further clarification or assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the link below to get back to us:
https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Thanks and Regards,
Vince
CyberLink Technical Support

Try the workaround. If you can’t get the workaround to work, let me know as optodata has a workaround that worked. Will try to locate the post if needed.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
This is a user forum and we don't have the ability to change any PD features. Please go with tomasc's suggestion first, then read this section if needed.

The effect of the red brushes getting painted and the heart being drawn in the linked tutorial was done with a wide chalk brush, then a narrow and wide eraser. Inverse mode wasn't used.

I have PD14 installed and it has inverse mode, but what that does is starts with a full color screen and uses the eraser to draw the color away, revealing the image underneath. It doesn't erase or change the timeline image.

If you want to start with a full color screen and erase it away, you could also try these steps in the Paint Designer:

1. Set the widest line and choose Pen

2. Paint the whole screen with your chosen color

3. Change the width and select the Eraser

4. Erase away to reveal the underlying clip

To remove the part where you paint over the image at the beginning from your produced video, make a screenshot of the timeline just before the erasing starts, then add that image to a lower track so that it covers up the painting part of the animation. The erasing section will then give you the desired effect.

If you'd like to see the inverse mode get added back in, use Rate Us & Provide Suggestions under PD's File menu so the people at Cyberlink will see your feedback.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 19. 2020 23:22