Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Simple text vertical scrolling plugin?
jabowery [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2020 14:44 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I'd like a plugin that takes plain text with line breaks on paragraphs, does automatic line-wrapping and then times the vertical scroll rate to match the length of the video track.

Am I in luck?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I think so. Place a title on the timeline and set it to the approximate duration you're expecting. Open the Ttitle Designer and make sure you've clicked on the Advanced tab above the preview window.

Paste the long text into the text box and set any of the text attributes as desired, then click on the effects tab and choose either the Scroll Up or Slide Up starting effect. Close the designer and save the project.

Once the rest of your clips are in place, you can change the title's duration and it will automatically adjust the scrolling speed to start and finish your entire list of words within the title's length.
jabowery [Avatar]
[Post New]
I tried that before and couldn't get it to do automatic line wrapping. That's why I figured I'd have to buy a plugin.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The Word wrapping function is not in title designer.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The Word wrapping function is not in title designer.

That's true, but wouldn't your source text have carriage returns/line feeds already in it? You can set the text to be left-, center- or right-justified and hit return while typing or reviewing the pasted text to make sure it fits horizontally on the screen.

As mentioned earlier, the title will automatically determine the correct scrolling speed for however many lines of text you end up with, so there isn't any complicated timing to deal with.

New Blue Titler Pro 1.5 comes with the subscription version but I don't see a fixed width (word wrapping) option for its text box. Newer versions have that, for example I have V4 and it has a Fit Text to Box Width option. The current version is V7 and it's a hefty US$299 ($100 cheaper if upgrading from an earlier version) but that seems like an excessive cost to avoid hitting the Enter key a few dozen times.
jabowery [Avatar]
[Post New]

That's true, but wouldn't your source text have carriage returns/line feeds already in it? You can set the text to be left-, center- or right-justified and hit return while typing or reviewing the pasted text to make sure it fits horizontally on the screen.

As mentioned earlier, the title will automatically determine the correct scrolling speed for however many lines of text you end up with, so there isn't any complicated timing to deal with.

New Blue Titler Pro 1.5 comes with the subscription version but I don't see a fixed width (word wrapping) option for its text box. Newer versions have that, for example I have V4 and it has a Fit Text to Box Width option. The current version is V7 and it's a hefty US$299 ($100 cheaper if upgrading from an earlier version) but that seems like an excessive cost to avoid hitting the Enter key a few dozen times.

Try tens of thousand times if not more. I'm wanting to put together a video series transcribing about 40 years of my online essays going back to the early 80s Usenet.

I'll write a program to do the wrap.
optodata
[Post New]
Ok. There are other existing options as well, like this one. Also if you have the free Notepad++ app, you can paste your raw text and set the appropriate window width, then select all text and type Ctrl+I to split the word-wrapped lines into individual lines.

I also think you'd want to use many titles over the course of each video rather than dumping in all the text into a single title. I don't know what the character limit is for each title, and in my experience a paragraph or two at most per title works best.