Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Camera content getting elevated contrast intermittently
GenXGrownUp [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 02, 2017 09:52 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Hey, Cyberlink geniuses. I've recently started to encounter quite a glaring problem during edits that I've not seen in three years of using PD.

Very often when editing, video that came from my Canon M50 camera will have elevated black level (or contrast, or brightness -- hard to tell). This will manifest in blacks being gray and washed out and an overall flatter image.

I initially thought this was just my proxy, but the finished render also has this problem, and it comes & goes. Very often it happens during transitions and then returns to normal video settings as soon as the transition is complete.

I've tried deleting proxy and even restarting PD just before a render so everything is "fresh," but that's not reliable either.

You can witness the problem in a recent YouTube video here: https://youtu.be/Olff3QmlXnA?t=79

The link goes straight to 1:19 as I dissolve from b-roll back to camera. Note that the black level of my shirt appears gray until the transition completes and then it returns to a dark black.

Here's an image from the video where I grabbed a still when the video is normal and when the black levels are elevated and I did a split between them to illustrate.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2p6scwrxglpwipo/pdr%20blacklvl.jpg?dl=0
(also added as an attachment)

I'm quite stumped as to what to do next. I have no color enhancements or correction on this camera clip, but this popping up & down in black level is quite distracting and looks bad.

Here's hoping someone has an idea.

BTW, I'm on 365 and updated to the latest. The only recent change I can remember in the recent past is that I had to turn off hardware acceleration due to blue-screening, but I'm not sure that change correlates with the start of this issue.

Thanks.

-Jon
[Thumb - PDR BLACKLVL.jpg]
 Filename
PDR BLACKLVL.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
136 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Does the issue happen in your produced video straight out of PD, or does it only show up on YouTube?

This user originally had a problem with audio but ended up with a very similar situation with absolute black becoming gray a half-second or so before a simple cut to a brighter scene after YT processed it, but his produced clip was perfect.

In that case, the best thing to do was to increase the video bitrate in PD's output profile so YT has a clearer "view" of the content when it transcodes it to the various streaming formats.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 16. 2020 22:45

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
GenXGrownUp [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Does the issue happen in your produced video straight out of PD, or does it only show up on YouTube?

This user originally had a problem with audio but ended up with a very similar situation with absolute black becoming gray a half-second or so before a simple cut to a brighter scene after YT processed it, but his produced clip was perfect.

In that case, the best thing to do was to increase the video bitrate in PD's output profile so YT has a clearer "view" of the content when it transcodes it to the various streaming formats.

Hi, optodata. This appears in the timeline, and in my local rendered file though it seems to manifest slightly differently in the local file. Let me try your suggestion and see what that yields. Thanks.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
GenXGrownUp, for the timeline part of the issue, you might try changing pref > Display Timeline preview output color: to RGB and see if that affects anything on the timeline.

Jeff
GenXGrownUp [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote GenXGrownUp, for the timeline part of the issue, you might try changing pref > Display Timeline preview output color: to RGB and see if that affects anything on the timeline.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. I will try that for sure.
GenXGrownUp [Avatar]
[Post New]
UPDATE

My problem is half solved. The issue manifesting on YouTube was due to the render profile. I had a custom one that apparently YT didn't care for. Those artificially-brightened segments seem to be related to a bitrate issue not having enough data for their transcode engine during busy times (like during transitions).

Maybe it's just coincidental, but I guess I started seeing TWO different brightness/contrast problems at the same time which may be unrelated.

The second one not yet solved is that of the preview window in the editor often showing incorrectly elevated black levels just "sometimes." Usually, upon pausing video it will pop from proper black level to an over-bright level. The weird thing is I can ALWAYS correct the current instance by just saving my project. Now, it will happen again anywhere (even on the same shot) within a couple of minutes. I'm now just kind of editing based on trust since this doesn't impact the ultimate rendered file, but it's more of a distraction and confidence issue now.

Attached is an example of a capture of the preview monitor when the problem appears, and the right side is the same view right after re-saving the project -- I didn't move the cursor or change anything; just Ctrl-S.

I tried changing from YUV/RGB and back for the preview window but no apparent change.

Any clues as to a root cause? Thanks!

-Jon
[Thumb - preview-contrast.jpg]
 Filename
preview-contrast.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
146 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 21. 2020 09:37