Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Ripple editing? What's in the term . . .
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
I've been using an editor where ripple editing meant that when it's enabled, the various tracks are sync'd: a change to the timeline (eg, inserting a clip automatically moved any later clips further along in the timeline) means that any video, text, voice or music tracks are adjusted - rippled - to match the TL clips they were sync'd to.

It helps keep text voiceover and music in sync: without it, a continual need to move clips to maintain sync with TL clips they relate to.

I've been looking for a similar functionality in PD18, and haven't found it. Does it exist??
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've been using an editor where ripple editing meant that when it's enabled, the various tracks are sync'd: a change to the timeline (eg, inserting a clip automatically moved any later clips further along in the timeline) means that any video, text, voice or music tracks are adjusted - rippled - to match the TL clips they were sync'd to.

It helps keep text voiceover and music in sync: without it, a continual need to move clips to maintain sync with TL clips they relate to.

I've been looking for a similar functionality in PD18, and haven't found it. Does it exist??

Not in the classic sense of ripple editing with a pref in PD someplace. The timeline contents shift with a menu pop out (some hotkeys too) when you add something to a full timeline and allow you several options, one is move all tracks. If adding to a void in the timeline and added content fits the void, no pop out menu. As such, when working in a timeline gap, sometimes advantageous to add the clip over the top of another to move content of all tracks to the right.

One can also use the track locks on the left to achieve some additional control.

Jeff
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for that. I've observed that most editors in this PD class do similar things, but call them by diferent terms and the 'how to' varies wildly. So it was a matter of getting what PD does in rippling all the tracks sorted . .

I'd tried move clips, but that left a text item out of sync.
Also tried lock tracks, thinkng this was a way to keep them in sync, but all that did was prevent any further editing on any track. Frustrated, I took to RFM, and the manual agreed, but clarified. I can't think of a reason why a track lock as has been implemented would be necessary; by that stage, the project is finsihed and rendered??? but who knows . . .
Move all tracks on that insertion menu looks to be the one that does work.smile