Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Error: You have to be the administrator to activate the system
ThomasS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 10, 2020 16:11 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Dear all

I'm facing a very old problem of Cyberlink PowerDirector, already addressed in 2016, please see this link:
https://serverfault.com/questions/809742/cyberlink-powerdirector-you-have-to-be-the-administrator-to-activate-the-syste

As stated in this post, I can start the application by using the local user of my system

• Shift Enter to start the application

• Run as a different user account

• Using my local user account of the system.

But my default account when I start the PC is my AzureAD account, which belongs to the admin group. I installed the application also with this account - without any problem.

How can I tell my system accepting my login (AzureAD) account to start the application?

Thanks for any idea
Thomas
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I don't think this issue has anything to do with PD as it seems to be caused by the account permissions on your computer.

I have zero experience with AzureAD but it seems like your best options would be to change your account permissions to allow PD to run on your exisiting account; remove PD, create a new admin user account and install PD there; or find a way to always run PD from the working account without having to log in every time.

This article describes using the Credentials Manager do do the latter, and hopefully that will work (or at least point you in the right direction). I would think AzureAD forums or support would be the best place to look for help with this situation.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ThomasS [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I don't think this issue has anything to do with PD as it seems to be caused by the account permissions on your computer.

I have zero experience with AzureAD but it seems like your best options would be to change your account permissions to allow PD to run on your exisiting account; remove PD, create a new admin user account and install PD there; or find a way to always run PD from the working account without having to log in every time.

This article describes using the Credentials Manager do do the latter, and hopefully that will work (or at least point you in the right direction). I would think AzureAD forums or support would be the best place to look for help with this situation.

Dear optodata
Thanks for your reply. Sure, your right, deep in the system there are some issues in Windows with local and AD accounts.
But also sure there is something with PD:

1. I have installed a number or apps and applications, some with/without licences. PowerDirector 18 Ultimate is the only one with this problem.

2. Together with PowerDirector 18 Ultimate I ordered/licenced and successfully installed PhotoDirector 11 Ultra => no problem.

3. I used PowerDVD in test version => no problem

4. ... and finally: before I ordered PowerDirector 18 Ultimate I tested PowerDirector 18 Essential => no problem

As a user and customer of Cyberlink I don't understand why all other packages are running ... only one causes this problem.
And as a IT service management expert I don't understand Cyberlink that they have an open problem since years, they know the root cause and a workaround. But they are not able to fix it nor to support customers.

But anyway: does anybody has an idea how to fix this issue? The workaround is not the solution for the future.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 09. 2020 08:50

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There's a lot of relevant info here that wasn't in your original post. A forum search for Azure or AzureAD only turns up this thread, so I don't imagine this issue is affecting very many people.

Based on your reply, it's clear that the people at CL would be in the best postion to make the appropriate changes. What isn't clear is whether you have reported the issue to them already or if you're assuming that they know the issue is limited to this specific product/version and should have fixed it by now.

In either case, I suggest reporting the issue here and including the URL of this thread in your message. Even if you had reported it in the past, you may reach a different set of people by reporting it now.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

ThomasS [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There's a lot of relevant info here that wasn't in your original post. A forum search for Azure or AzureAD only turns up this thread, so I don't imagine this issue is affecting very many people.

Based on your reply, it's clear that the people at CL would be in the best postion to make the appropriate changes. What isn't clear is whether you have reported the issue to them already or if you're assuming that they know the issue is limited to this specific product/version and should have fixed it by now.

In either case, I suggest reporting the issue here and including the URL of this thread in your message. Even if you had reported it in the past, you may reach a different set of people by reporting it now.

Sorry optodata for the missing information in my first post. And yes: I've already opened a ticket on May 10th at the support site of CL. Acutally they are totaly overloaded, I didn't get any helpful information until today. All I know I searched/found by myself on internet or from friends.

Thx for your support and replies, Thomas
optodata
[Post New]
I can see how frustrating this is. If support just responded you may want to reply and include the URL of this thread so they can see everything you've mentioned here. I hope it won't take another month to hear back from them!

YouTube/optodata

ThomasS [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dear all

During the last days I've found a workaround (not a final solution), which is applicable and usable. I already send it to CL support, here is a copy of this post - in German, I'm sorry:

=======================================================================
Workaround, um die Situation zu Optimieren:
--- Hintergrund: PowerDirector Ultimate 18 muss mit einem lokalen User mit Admin-Rechten ausgeführt werden
--- Zuerst muss also dieser lokale Account identifiziert werden
==> Test: Ausführen von PowerDirector Ultimate 18 mit "shift+rechte Maustaste"
==> "Als anderer Benutzer ausführen" und entsprechend den lokalen Benutzer (Syntax: .\BENUTZER) angeben.
- Wenn das funktioniert:
--- im Shortcut von PowerDirector Ultimate 18
--- rechte Maustaste => Eigenschaften
--- auf dem Reiter "Verknüpfung"
--- Paramater "Ziel"
--- erweitern um die Funktion "runas" mit dem Parameter "savecred"
==> C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:"BENUTZERNAME" /savecred "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector18\PDR.exe"

Auf diese Weise lässt sich das Programm mit dem lokalen Benutzer starten.
=======================================================================

Hope this helps others
Thomas
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for posting this! I used Bing to translate the workaround to English
Quote ===========================================================
Workaround to optimize the situation:
--- background: PowerDirector Ultimate 18 must be run with a local user with admin rights
--- First, this local account must be identified
==> Test: Running PowerDirector Ultimate 18 with "shift+right mouse button"
==> "Run as a different user" and specify the local user (syntax: .-USER).
- If this works:
--- in the PowerDirector Ultimate 18 shortcut
--- right mouse button => Properties
--- on the "Link" tab
--- Paramater "Target"
--- add the runas function with the savecred parameter
==> C:'Windows'System32'runas.exe/user:'USERNAME'/savecred 'C:'Program Files''CyberLink'PowerDirector18'PDR.exe'
This allows you to start the program with the local user.

===========================================================

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 16. 2020 11:06