Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Noise
Tova [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 05, 2018 09:35 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Hello
I just did a video outside and the noise from the car etc is very distracting.
Is there anything to do about it?
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Not really. At least if you're talking about wind and traffic noise.
That's why even Hollywood professsionals often need to "loop" or re-record dialog for a scene shot on a noisy location.
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
If you highlight the sound clip and choose tools, the audio editor has a noise reduction option.

I don't know how successful this is. You may find that it makes the rest of the sound seem odd.
Tova [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Not really. At least if you're talking about wind and traffic noise.
That's why even Hollywood professsionals often need to "loop" or re-record dialog for a scene shot on a noisy location.

Thanks so much for your reply
So there is no way of doing outdoor talking video? )-:
yes it's the road noise, 06:30 am corona time and still so noisy
Tova [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If you highlight the sound clip and choose tools, the audio editor has a noise reduction option.

I don't know how successful this is. You may find that it makes the rest of the sound seem odd.

yaa I remeber I tried it once and it didn't really help, you are right!
I even broght a microfone and same noise
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks so much for your reply
So there is no way of doing outdoor talking video? )-:

If that video is important and you are willing to work to improve the audio then try "GoldWave". There is a free trial.

I've used it it the past with good results. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Tova [Avatar]
[Post New]

If that video is important and you are willing to work to improve the audio then try "GoldWave". There is a free trial.

I've used it it the past with good results.

Sounds good!
Do you know if there is any free version to give it a try?
Thank you
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]

Sounds good!
Do you know if there is any free version to give it a try?
Thank you

Yes go to the link I posted and it say there is a full feature trial. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Tova [Avatar]
[Post New]

Yes go to the link I posted and it say there is a full feature trial.

Yes! I download it! but not sure how to use it
I do open project open video but it doesn't give me the option to upload a video
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote So there is no way of doing outdoor talking video? )-:

I watch streaming videos from the net all the time. These streamers may use a samsung phone on a gimbal with a homemade wind screen over the phone mike. They are walking on the sidewalks and on the streets right now and talking. Audio is great. There are the streamers broacasting on twitch. No distracting traffic and wind noise and have clear speech while walking in LA during the protests.

A windscreen over the mike like the way news reporters use them in the field works well.
Tova [Avatar]
[Post New]

I watch streaming videos from the net all the time. These streamers may use a samsung phone on a gimbal with a homemade wind screen over the phone mike. They are walking on the sidewalks and on the streets right now and talking. Audio is great. There are the streamers broacasting on twitch. No distracting traffic and wind noise and have clear speech while walking in LA during the protests.

A windscreen over the mike like the way news reporters use them in the field works well.

good idea yes maybe this is my solution
stevek
[Post New]

Yes! I download it! but not sure how to use it
I do open project open video but it doesn't give me the option to upload a video

You open the video just as if it were a music file. It will extract the audio and allow you to edit it.

Perhaps, at this point Tomasc's suggestion would be better suited for your needs if you have a camera mic that you can put the wind silence on. .
Tova [Avatar]
[Post New]

You open the video just as if it were a music file. It will extract the audio and allow you to edit it.

Perhaps, at this point Tomasc's suggestion would be better suited for your needs if you have a camera mic that you can put the wind silence on.

I think that till I buy it I'll need to video indoors only.
I'm not sure ifappropriate to ask you. (if not I'm sorry)
Do you mind we do a screen share/ zoom call and you show me how to work with the programe?
like to try to save the video I did today
stevek
[Post New]
Sorry, no personal calls. There are several examples of how to use the program on that web site. Perhaps the other program on that site might be more interesting to you.

I just looked and there are several good tutorials on YouTube. Just search for Gold Wave.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 03. 2020 09:52

Tova [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Sorry, no personal calls. There are several examples of how to use the program on that web site. Perhaps the other program on that site might be more interesting to you.

I just looked and there are several good tutorials on YouTube. Just search for Gold Wave.

That's fantastic' I'm going to have a look at youtube! thank you so much for all your help!!
Allmoto
Newbie Location: Washington, USA Joined: Dec 27, 2010 13:23 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
I produce motorcycle-related videos, quite often using VirbXE cameras with an external microphone. I get a severe amount of engine and road noise when narrating in my full-face helmet. I've tried using the tools available in PD 16 and Audio Director, but can't seem to isolate the unwanted noise and get to clear voice narration. Is anyone doing similar work and perhaps have editing tips? I could certainly provide a clip if someone wanted to play with it.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The best way to do that is to upload a sample clip to a cloud service like Google Drive or OneDrive and paste a shareable link here. See the Share a file publicly section in this Google FAQ or this OneDrive support page if needed.
AllMotoTire [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 17, 2019 11:25 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The best way to do that is to upload a sample clip to a cloud service like Google Drive or OneDrive and paste a shareable link here. See the Share a file publicly section in this Google FAQ or this OneDrive support page if needed.

Below is a link to a video clip with an extreme amount of road, wind, and engine noise. I'd be interested to see if any of the Cyberlink tools can clean this up to an acceptable level. (I've tried with PD 16 and Audio Director.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/134suuMzaJNVovbpVGxo7nwy6pHrYO5sq/view?usp=sharing
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I selected a few seconds of road/wind noise around the 6 sec mark in your sample clip with the Noise Reduction tool, then tweaked it to drastically reduce the background noise while keeping your voice fairly clear.

There's an ongoing, low intensity sound like a gurgling bathtub as the filter removes the noise, and your voice is muffled but it's much easier to hear what you're saying.

Here's what I came up with after a few minutes:

I'm not sure which version of AD you're using, but you can download the two attached files and copy them into the "C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\CyberLink\AudioDirector\5.0\Preset\DeNoise\ folder, where you'd change the 5.0 to 6.0 or 7.0. Do this with AD closed!

You can then apply this preset when using the Noise Reduction tool, and you can experiment with the sliders to see if you can make it better. You can also try using the equalizer to bring up the mid-high frequencies to reduce the muffled sound of your voice. You can also try making your own noise reduction preset usign a different section of the clip.

In the future, I think you'd be much better off using a mic with a windscreen and/or moving it away from any open areas where the wind can beat against it. A background of mostly engine noise would be easier to filter out than when there's strong wind buffeting like in this clip.
 Filename
AllMotoTire.profile
[Disk]
 Description
noise reduction profile file
 Filesize
4 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
144 time(s)
 Filename
AllMotoTire.preset
[Disk]
 Description
noise reduction preset file
 Filesize
73 bytes
 Downloaded:
148 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The setup, equipment, and knowledge on using the components are crucial to do a live stream on the road in traffic. Here is a short clip showing moving cars and motorbikes in traffic with the rider and passenger talking to each other. No post production with the audio is done. Recording is done on a right hand held Samsung Galaxy Note 10 on a gimbal.

Here is one setup on a motorbike. In the left view mirror you see the rider has a chest mounted Samsung Galaxy Note 10 for the live streaming. In other portions of video a windscreen can be seen placed over the mikes when there is a reflection. The rider does voice narration while on the road.
 Filename
Live stream from a Motorbike.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
Rider and passenger talking to each other in traffic with cars and bikes.
 Filesize
782 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
174 time(s)
[Thumb - Samsung Galaxy Note 10.jpg]
 Filename
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Chest mounting of phone for live stream and narration.
 Filesize
196 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)