Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
how did this person put 23 hours of video on one blu-ray disc??
[Post New]
Hello, this is an update of a previous post. Please see attachment as well. Hopefully this one will be of more info for a better answer. I have PD15 and love how I am able to do edits. BUT am having a problem when trying to put them on a blu-ray (create disc). My files are mp4 and total 9GB of data at about 1000 bitrate each. But when I import my project to create a disc, PD ballooned it to over 100GB!! The smallest I could tweek it to was 68GB by changing default settings LPCM audio to Dolby and using H.264 at 720X480 60i.
Below are screen shots I took of two Blu-Ray discs I have that someone else made. In the top row is on a 50GB disc. You will see there are 71 files totalling 43GB for 23 hours of material at an average bitrate of 4300!! The bottom row is on a 25GB disc. There are 35 files totalling 21.4GB for nearly 12 hours of material at an average bitrate of 4300!!
So how was this person able to accomplish this and what can I do to do it for my project???
[Thumb - files.jpg]
 Filename
files.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
145 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Until one of the real experts comes along I'll try to give you some pointers - I'm not by any means an expert on this . . .

When you say your source files are 1000 bitrate do you actually mean 1Mbps (1000K) bits per second? If so this is a low figure for MPEG-4. The AVCHD 1920x1080 files from my camcorder are around 10Mbps. The default bitrate for the MPEG-4 AVC profile in PD is around 16Mbps and it won't allow a lower figure than 6Mbps to be entered in a custom profile. Even MPEG-2 won't go below 1Mbps.

I think it is possible, in principle, to edit a profile file in a text editor to achieve lower than the minimum allowed values but I have no idea if that would work successfully and very much doubt if the resulting quality would be acceptable.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 03. 2020 11:24

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
well babysdaddy...
my experience of creating the Blu-ray movies has been total duration(playing time) of the disc rather than the volume. if the volume goes off the limit(actual 22.5GB+) then i can use SmartFit to squeeze in up to 2hrs 5 or 15 minutes of the total playing time.

if i use it for a data disc then i can put more hours than if i was to produce for a home movies...

you can use the Blu-ray data disc in a pc with Blu-ray player to play the 22.5GB+ in various bitrates(MPC-HC for example) but you can not on a stand alone Blu-ray player...

moreover, typical Blu-ray movie disc will contain two folders, BMDV & Certificate and the actual movie will be in the Stream sub-folder of BMDV as .m2ts container with either H.262(mpeg2) or H.264(mp4) codec. simply put.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
[Post New]
Thank you both for replying. I have discovered the issue. I had PD render my file as m2ts and at 720X480 which had a default of 8Mps. I then used a third party program to reduce it to 4Mps. Low enough to technically fit all my files on to a blu-ray disc without losing noticable picture quality. The problem is with PD because once I imported them back in to create disc, it automatically boosted them back up to 8Mps. Once again, a 50GB blu-ray disc I have that someone else made (I wish I knew what program they used) has 23 hours of video on it with 4Mps on each file so obviously it can be done. SO my next question is if there is a way to override PD from bumping my files from 4Mps back to 8Mps???

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2020 15:03

Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
I've always assumed that pre-produced files imported into the Create Disc module would be used as is and not re-rendered. I always work this way and also burn to an ISO file rather than directly to a disc. I use Imgburn to do the burning.

Maybe because I produce to H264AVC using SVRT PowerDirector doesn't need to re-render. I've never tried producing using settings outside the allowed range. I should be interested to get the opinions of some of the Gurus on this issue, @tomasc, @Optodata et al. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
[Post New]
Quote I've always assumed that pre-produced files imported into the Create Disc module would be used as is and not re-rendered. I always work this way and also burn to an ISO file rather than directly to a disc. I use Imgburn to do the burning.

Maybe because I produce to H264AVC using SVRT PowerDirector doesn't need to re-render. I've never tried producing using settings outside the allowed range. I should be interested to get the opinions of some of the Gurus on this issue, @tomasc, @Optodata et al.

Yes I also assumed it would be used as is. It just simply wont accept ANY type of file as is, thats lower than 8Mps. "smartfit" is the only way it seems to get it below 8Mps BUT it doesnt quite get the file size low enough to burn. if 50GB is on the BD preset it will lower my file to 57GB in h264, and come closer coming down to 49GB as a mp2. But im pretty sure a 50GB BD really only has 46GB worth of recordable space (and 25GB has just 23GB) so another 4GB needs to come down(?)..
Maybe this may work?>>>>>when I put the disc space at 25GB, then smartfit as mpg2, it brings my file down to 47GB. SO if I try that but have a 50GB BD in my burner, i wonder if the data will continue burning beyond my 25GB disc space preset????? If so, I dont really want to delete a couple videos in this project to get it down below 46GB but can as a last resort (assuming smartfit will be smart enough to lower another 1GB)....... tomasc appears to be MIA but yea hopefully a guru will weigh in.

Honestly though, it would be much easier, and allow for more data to be able to burn, if PD15 could allow you to manually set bitrates in create disc like you can in "produce". And/or allow those presets you set in "produce" to carry over when you click create disc.