Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
content aware scaling
shoWham [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 19, 2020 08:50 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
hey, i've been trying, for the past couple of days now, to alter the heigth to width ratio on a specific photo(making it 1:2) with minimum affect of the content. while doing a research online i stummbeled across this feature named content aware scaling, that exists on other editing platforms. do this feature exisist on the photoDirector 10? if so how can i find it and more important how do it use it? if not, do you know of any platforms that do has it? thank you for your help!
[Post New]
Hello shoWham,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

Image manipulation software like Photoshop has this feature, but it's not available in PhotoDirector (or Lightroom for that matter). Technically, it's a very complex task to distort/stretch one part of an image without affecting another.

This Ps tutorial shows the steps. Easy in practice, but complex background processes.

PhD has "Content Aware Move" & "Content Aware Clone", but neither of these would meet your needs (I think).

Though I've never attempted it in PhD, I imagine using the Edit module to work with multiple layers might be useful for your task.

You're trying to create a 2:1 image. What is the current aspect ratio?

PIX PIX YouTube channel
shoWham [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello shoWham,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

Image manipulation software like Photoshop has this feature, but it's not available in PhotoDirector (or Lightroom for that matter). Technically, it's a very complex task to distort/stretch one part of an image without affecting another.

This Ps tutorial shows the steps. Easy in practice, but complex background processes.

PhD has "Content Aware Move" & "Content Aware Clone", but neither of these would meet your needs (I think).

Though I've never attempted it in PhD, I imagine using the Edit module to work with multiple layers might be useful for your task.

You're trying to create a 2:1 image. What is the current aspect ratio?

PIX

Hey, thanks! Well the current ratio is 4693×3238, and honestly I have tried really hard to understand how to do it with the tools available in phD including the the tools you have mentioned.. the backrouns process of the content aware scaling is truly brilliant, unfortunately I have no access to ps..
[Post New]
My apologies.

I misread your first post & thought you were trying to make a 2:1 image (landscape), but your first post states 1:2 (portrait).

If it's 2:1, it will be easy to manipulate in Ps (download the trial?). If it's 1:2 & your original photo is 4693×3238, neither Ps nor PhD will help you. The only way to do that without massive distortion is to crop out the sides.

Perhaps you meant 3238x4693?

PIX PIX YouTube channel
shoWham [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote My apologies.

I misread your first post & thought you were trying to make a 2:1 image (landscape), but your first post states 1:2 (portrait).

If it's 2:1, it will be easy to manipulate in Ps (download the trial?). If it's 1:2 & your original photo is 4693×3238, neither Ps nor PhD will help you. The only way to do that without massive distortion is to crop out the sides.

Perhaps you meant 3238x4693?

PIX

I want the width to be twice as big as the height.. I'll try downloading the trial..
[Post New]
Even though this is a PhotoDirector forum, I can confirm that using Content aware scaling in Ps works well.

In the example below, the original image was 1400x966 [same aspect ratio as 4693×3238]. Each side of the photo (with the subject protected) was stretched in Ps using CA scaling.

The final modified image is 1932x966, which is 2:1. Your image would need to be 6476x3238.

When considering how this might be replicated in PhD, the initial drawback is the lack of ability to crop beyond the photo's bounds to create an extended canvas. That would need a workaround.

I will explore PhD possibilities.

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 20. 2020 15:52

PIX YouTube channel