Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio problem
[Post New]
Hi,

I'm very inexperienced at Power Director, having only edited a few videos of lectures from a historical interest group I belong to, and have never struck any problems previously. Our latest meeting and lecture was yesterday, and I downloaded the video and Powerpoint presentation today. This is the first time using PowerDirector 18 (as I previously used an earlier version).

This time around, I received the following message:

"An error occurred when opening this media file. It may have unsupported or protected audio, or it could be for another reason. You may continue editing the video part of the file only".

The video does in fact appear in the Imported media folder, but there is no sound. I haven't changed my camera, so perhaps the newer version of Power Director doesn't support the type of audio used in my camera anymore.

The video file has a .m2ts file extension, and was shot on a Sony HDR-PJ30 camera.

Do I need to convert this file, rename the extension? Can anyone help me?

All assistance provided will be gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance.

Check Six
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

I'm very inexperienced at Power Director, having only edited a few videos of lectures from a historical interest group I belong to, and have never struck any problems previously. Our latest meeting and lecture was yesterday, and I downloaded the video and Powerpoint presentation today. This is the first time using PowerDirector 18 (as I previously used an earlier version).

This time around, I received the following message:

"An error occurred when opening this media file. It may have unsupported or protected audio, or it could be for another reason. You may continue editing the video part of the file only".

The video does in fact appear in the Imported media folder, but there is no sound. I haven't changed my camera, so perhaps the newer version of Power Director doesn't support the type of audio used in my camera anymore.

The video file has a .m2ts file extension, and was shot on a Sony HDR-PJ30 camera.

Do I need to convert this file, rename the extension? Can anyone help me?

All assistance provided will be gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance.

Check Six

Looks like this Sony model records audio in DD, https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/support/memory-camcorders-hdr-pj-series/hdr-pj30/specifications
as such, this would apply for PD18: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=24372

Jeff
PowerDirector Tutorials
Senior Member Location: Tennessee Joined: Sep 29, 2014 20:25 Messages: 192 Offline
[Post New]
I just had that very same message with my Canon EOS R. I run the ZOOM F4 with a cable to my camera and this is the first time this came up with. Now in my situation, it only does it when I goto audio director and then back to PD then it does this. It moves the audio file to the audio director fine. But when I am done editing and go back to PD it destroys the audio file and produces the same error.
[Thumb - audiocut.PNG]
 Filename
audiocut.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
46 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 15. 2020 10:24

PowerDirector Tutorials Team
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I just had that very same message with my Canon EOS R. I run the ZOOM F4 with a cable to my camera and this is the first time this came up with. Now in my situation, it only does it when I goto audio director and then back to PD then it does this. It moves the audio file to the audio director fine. But when I am done editing and go back to PD it destroys the audio file and produces the same error.

You probably should have posted this as a new topic as the spec for the EOS R state that the audio is aac and pcm (wav) as shown in your screenshot instead of DD5.1.

Please use mediainfo to determine the audio properties and maybe post a 10 sec. sample file download for users to check out and advise.
[Post New]

Thanks Jeff. I SHOULD have edited this on my home computer (an absolute beast) which is Windows 10, but I was bored at work and keento get stuck in to editing this video. My laptop at work is Windows 7 (lazy to update I suppose). I transferred the files at home, and it works beautifully.

Steve (aka Check Six)