Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Converting analog videos to digial using PowerDirector 16
rte307 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 25, 2014 23:08 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,
I'm trying to convert analog 8mm videos to digital using a Sony CCD-TRV-118 analog handycam
connected to a Sony DCR-HC96 handycam with the digital convert function using Windows 10.
I'm using PowerDirector 16 to capture the video. After setting up I'm able to see the paused
image of the video in both cameras and the capture screen of the PowerDirector but when I try to capture
I get a messege that " the dv tape is either missing or write-protected." If I insert a tape into the
digital camera and click the record button on PowerDirector it will record from the digital camera
and not the analog camera. So I'm not able to get a straight pass through from analog to digital to computer.
If I put a blank tape in the digital camera It will convert the analog imput from the other camera and
then PD 16 will capture the video. I have 16 tapes to load in so the extra step of going from tape to tape
and then into the computer is going to be slow going.
Is there any work-around for this hang up?
Thanks.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello,
I'm trying to convert analog 8mm videos to digital using a Sony CCD-TRV-118 analog handycam
connected to a Sony DCR-HC96 handycam with the digital convert function using Windows 10.
I'm using PowerDirector 16 to capture the video. After setting up I'm able to see the paused
image of the video in both cameras and the capture screen of the PowerDirector but when I try to capture
I get a messege that " the dv tape is either missing or write-protected." If I insert a tape into the
digital camera and click the record button on PowerDirector it will record from the digital camera
and not the analog camera. So I'm not able to get a straight pass through from analog to digital to computer.
If I put a blank tape in the digital camera It will convert the analog imput from the other camera and
then PD 16 will capture the video. I have 16 tapes to load in so the extra step of going from tape to tape
and then into the computer is going to be slow going.
Is there any work-around for this hang up?
Thanks.

Sounds like you are using the miniDV camcorder as a feed thru to capture in DV. CL broke this ages ago, never fixed, and you get that message for pass through recording like this. Since then I always have used WinDV for the actual capture in this type of setup, it just works.

Jeff
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
welcome to the forum.

Quote ... Is there any work-around for this hang up?...

your answer is similar to this Many Tapes to Archive . WinDV can be downloaded from WinDV v1.2.3 free Download .

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
rte307 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Sounds like you are using the miniDV camcorder as a feed thru to capture in DV. CL broke this ages ago, never fixed, and you get that message for pass through recording like this. Since then I always have used WinDV for the actual capture in this type of setup, it just works.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'm wondering what you ment by saying " CL broke this ages ago, never fixed"
Also I'm having trouble downloading WinDv 1.2.3. For some reason it downloads as a
PDF file.
Thanks.
rte307 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote welcome to the forum.

your answer is similar to this Many Tapes to Archive . WinDV can be downloaded from WinDV v1.2.3 free Download .

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Hi PepsiMan,

I downloaded WinDv using your link but on my computer it downloads as a PDF file.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ... downloaded WinDv ...

well i didn't. here's WinDV files.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'
 Filename
WinDV-1.2.3.zip
[Disk]
 Description
WinDV v1.2.3
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
311 time(s)
'no bridge too far'

Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm wondering what you ment by saying " CL broke this ages ago, never fixed"
Also I'm having trouble downloading WinDv 1.2.3. For some reason it downloads as a
PDF file.

I used to use PD for this in the early versions, maybe PD8, 9, 10 or so and then it stopped working for me and I always had this DV tape missing error for pass through AD conversion. Rather than fight it with CL and PD, I simply switched to using Windows Movie Maker for capture (yes it still works on WIN10 but you had to download from Microsoft when they provided the knowledge that it was end of life) or the old utility WinDV. Other options too, that's just what I use as it simply works every time with no hassle.

If by chance you do get PD to work, you will constantly fight the protected content issue with old tapes with PD too. I used to record a "black" section with a lens cap on between various recordings for easy demarcation and PD would often flip on this as protected content and stop capture. Another real hassle with PD and why I switched to a capture product that simply works.

Jeff
PepsiMan
[Post New]
for those who wants to download full versions of Windows Movie Maker which is part of Windows Essentials 2012 can be downloaded at Wayback Machine...

Major Geeks dotcom has Windows Live Essentials 16.4.3528 available for download, too.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 30. 2020 14:37

'no bridge too far'

Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1