Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 16 Crashes Without Warning While Editing Project
Tongal68 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 25, 2013 18:34 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
My Powerdirector 16 Version: 16.0.3424.0 keeps crashing without warning while I'm editing a project. Powerdirector shuts down abrubtly and a message on a blue screen states: "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We are just collecting some error info and then we'll restart for you". It does seem to be a pc related problem but it does not seem to happen with any other software I use. Any help would be most appreciated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 23. 2019 19:30

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
A dxdiag of your machine would be a great starter. Please attach as a file.
Hopefully it will result in some good avenues of troubleshooting. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Tongal68 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, Barry. Attached is the requested Dxdiag file
 Filename
DxDiag TG 241219.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
72 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
203 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks very much for attaching the DxDiag results. The main thing that jumps out at me is that you've had some serious Windows crashes that are unrelated to PD16. If you look at the last hundred or so lines in the results file, you'll see what I'm talking about.

These crashes point to deep issues with Windows' system files, and I think you should try the following steps before worrying about PD16:

1. Open an admin-level command prompt and type in sfc/ scannow, then press Enter. Let the scan run and see if it detects and fixes any core issues with Windows. You may need to run it more than once if it comes back with unfixable errors the first time.

2. You can also type dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth in the same command prompt window to do a more thorough check/repair cycle. Google for more info on these steps if needed.

Once you get all of that resolved, you should update your nVidia driver, because the one you're currently using is from 2017. The latest release for your GT 640 came out just a couple of weeks ago, and you can download it from here.

Good luck!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 24. 2019 15:14

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Tongal68 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have followed your advice about the Windows System Files and installed the latest GeForce 640 driver. I have since used PD16 a few times to do more editing and it looks like the problem has been solved.

Many thanks for your help.